OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Hardware

Warpstock Europe

(1/3) > >>

ivan:
I suppose that someone has to ask and it might as well be me since I was unable to attend because of a prior engagement.

Were there any earth shattering revelations at Warpstock Europe?  It appears that there was some good news but...

Reading the presentations of the video (no sound here) I see that USB 3.0/3.1 is no closer to being available. the fact there are problems with Intel chipsets it doesn't bode well for AMD Ryzen chipsets and it does make me wonder what chipsets they are testing on (is there even a Ryzen chipset in the mix?).

I know I appear to have a one track mind regarding USB 3.0/3.1 but, even though I am retired I still think about my old clients and the fact that they are considering upgrading some of their computers with new AMD units that require the USB 3.x drivers for such things as keyboards and trackballs (example: Gigabyte B450M Ds3h that has a serial port or the MSI B450M Bazooka that has both parallel and serial ports).  Both of those examples are ideal for connecting to the machines using existing interface equipment.

Roderick Klein:

--- Quote from: ivan on May 21, 2019, 03:23:20 pm ---I suppose that someone has to ask and it might as well be me since I was unable to attend because of a prior engagement.

Were there any earth shattering revelations at Warpstock Europe?  It appears that there was some good news but...

Reading the presentations of the video (no sound here) I see that USB 3.0/3.1 is no closer to being available. the fact there are problems with Intel chipsets it doesn't bode well for AMD Ryzen chipsets and it does make me wonder what chipsets they are testing on (is there even a Ryzen chipset in the mix?).

I know I appear to have a one track mind regarding USB 3.0/3.1 but, even though I am retired I still think about my old clients and the fact that they are considering upgrading some of their computers with new AMD units that require the USB 3.x drivers for such things as keyboards and trackballs (example: Gigabyte B450M Ds3h that has a serial port or the MSI B450M Bazooka that has both parallel and serial ports).  Both of those examples are ideal for connecting to the machines using existing interface equipment.

--- End quote ---

I really do not see the point if Intel Chipsets do not work that that would be bad news for AMD Ryzen chipsets ?
It seems Arca Naoe is aware of the issue and is working on it.  Having organized Warpstock Europe it seems more bugs need to be fixed and then it send of the testteam. Before final release.

Good news was the public demonstration performed by Alex Taylor booting ArcaOS on a laptop in which only UEFI boot was switched on! No CSM was active. This was proof of concept. BWW continues to work on QT and the first applications where demonstrated that have been compiled with QT for OS/2.

Roderick Klein

ivan:
Thank you Roderick.

It is indeed good news that ArcaOS can boot with direct UEFI active, hopefully that will also be a workround for using a DVD to boot from (usual problem with the Ryzen chipset is that when it tries to unpack the the disks at the start a message pops up saying there isn't enough memory when there is 4GB available.

My comment regarding Intel chipsets was prompted from past observations that Intel gets drivers first and if they work with AMD chipsets then ok.

A great pity I was unable to attend, the prior engagement was arranged last year, I might have been able to ask specific questions to get clearer answers.

Again, thank you for taking the time to reply.

Mathias:
Most interesting (for me) was Lewis' announcement, where DTA is renamed to DTAudio (no idea what A stand for before), but it's initial release is planned for ArcaOS 5.0.5 . This means sound in WinOS/2 sessions and DOS VDM via wrapper to Uniaud. - Very cewl for retro gaming! *__*

Roderick Klein:

--- Quote from: ivan on May 21, 2019, 09:59:15 pm ---Thank you Roderick.

It is indeed good news that ArcaOS can boot with direct UEFI active, hopefully that will also be a workround for using a DVD to boot from (usual problem with the Ryzen chipset is that when it tries to unpack the the disks at the start a message pops up saying there isn't enough memory when there is 4GB available.

My comment regarding Intel chipsets was prompted from past observations that Intel gets drivers first and if they work with AMD chipsets then ok.

A great pity I was unable to attend, the prior engagement was arranged last year, I might have been able to ask specific questions to get clearer answers.

Again, thank you for taking the time to reply.

--- End quote ---

UEFI BTW is new kind of BIOS. Has nothing todo with DVD boot...
Look it up on google.

Intel chipsets is we like it or not are used more often. I guess its a good think they do not release the USB until it works.

ROderick Klein

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version