Author Topic: SYBA USB Stereo Sound Adapter: Good or bad?  (Read 18396 times)

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
SYBA USB Stereo Sound Adapter: Good or bad?
« on: May 24, 2019, 12:38:39 am »
I'm trying out the SYBA USB Stereo Sound Adapter.

So far, I'm not getting sound. The package advertises that it uses CMedia CM119. I'm attaching the dump from USBDock. The device is 0D8C:0008

I installed ArcaOS with no sound adapter, then installed the USB Audio driver. This has worked in the past for some other adapter I no longer have.

Should this adapter work?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 12:40:50 am by Neil Waldhauer »
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Lars

• View Profile
Re: SYBA USB Stereo Sound Adapter: Good or bad?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 08:18:40 am »
Unfortunately the USBRes output is broken (the tool is broken).

My guess is that it is an USB audio standard 2.0 device in which case you will need the USB audio drivers from my USB package. There is a USBAUD2.SYS driver that will serve those devices.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 04:09:13 pm »
I tried installing USBAUD2, but there is no difference. The following command never returns. No sound is emitted, either. This happened sometimes with a bad MMPM2.INI. But I don't understand that file well enough.

Play file=j:\mmos2\sounds\zipper.wav

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 06:54:16 pm »
It should work, it is the same chip as Behringer uses in all their low budget USB units, and I am fairly sure I managed to get one of their UCA-xxx going with the drivers from Lars.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 10:30:41 pm »
If you did install 10.227, make sure you also selected the SPI update and also the applet install.
Then, go to "Multimedia Setup" and select the default wave/ampmix device. You can switch back and forth. As soon as you have double clicked on an entry, that device will become the default device.

Lars

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2019, 11:42:16 pm »
I installed the USB Audio 223 on my laptop, where USB audio had worked before, and the SYBA adapter is working fine. It must be a USB Audio 1.0 compatible device.

But something is stopping it from working on the desktop, a Lenovo M720s that has only USB 3.0 ports. I am using an add-in Startek USB 2.0 PCIe card to provide USB. This seems to work for booting from memory stick, and mouse and keyboard.

But for both USB Audio 223 and USB Audio 226, there is no sound. When I run play.cmd, it does not ever complete. I plan to get 227 and try it. I'll let you know if it works.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 02:39:36 pm »
Hi Neil.

I created a wiki page with the info you provided: https://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/SYBA_USB_Stereo_Sound_Adapter.

Please, let us known here your testing to complete the info :)

Is the driver working USBAUDIO.SYS  or USBAUD2.SYS  ??

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 02:44:59 pm »
Hi again.
I installed the USB Audio 223 on my laptop, where USB audio had worked before, and the SYBA adapter is working fine. It must be a USB Audio 1.0 compatible device.

On the device's website it says: "Compliant with USB Audio Device Class Specification 1.0"

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 05:41:54 pm »

If 10.227 does not work for you as a whole you can also install AN 11.17 and only install the USBAUDIO install package.

But something is stopping it from working on the desktop, a Lenovo M720s that has only USB 3.0 ports. I am using an add-in Startek USB 2.0 PCIe card to provide USB. This seems to work for booting from memory stick, and mouse and keyboard.

But for both USB Audio 223 and USB Audio 226, there is no sound. When I run play.cmd, it does not ever complete. I plan to get 227 and try it. I'll let you know if it works.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2019, 01:08:00 am »
With USB stack 10.227 and USB Audio 10.227, I now have sound on the M720s system. I had to rearrange the Config.Sys since AN USB stack 12.x has a different requirement of the order of USBD.SYS and USBHID.SYS.

The big obstacle was not the SYBA USB Stereo adapter. I believe the limitation was the Startek USB 2.0 PCIe card. It can run a mouse and keyboard, and a bootable USB stick, but not USB audio with AN USB driver. I guess I should try AN USB stack (11 and 12) with USB Audio 10.227 next.

Wim Brul

• View Profile
    • Wim's home page
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2019, 09:54:45 am »
With USB stack 10.227 and USB Audio 10.227, I now have sound on the M720s system. I had to rearrange the Config.Sys since AN USB stack 12.x has a different requirement of the order of USBD.SYS and USBHID.SYS.

The big obstacle was not the SYBA USB Stereo adapter. I believe the limitation was the Startek USB 2.0 PCIe card. It can run a mouse and keyboard, and a bootable USB stick, but not USB audio with AN USB driver. I guess I should try AN USB stack (11 and 12) with USB Audio 10.227 next.

From David Azarewicz presentation at Warpstock Europe 2019 I learned that isochronous transfers with AN USB 12.x stack are not yet working.
From personal experience I can say that USB Audio 10.227 with AN USB stack 11.17 is working on my ArcaOS 5.0 system.

Wim
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 09:41:40 am by Wim Brul »

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2019, 05:45:04 pm »
I fixed USBD.SYS with 10.227.
That might explain why it now works ...
In the past I have done a lot of fixes and changes to USBAUDIO.SYS. I have no idea what David has done to the corresponding AN driver.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 05:49:39 pm by Lars »

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2019, 10:46:57 pm »
I installed ArcaOS with AN USB 11.17, and USB Audio 227, and this arrangement is working. As Wim predicted, replacing AN USB 12.x with 11.17 was all that is needed for USB Audio 227 to install.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2019, 11:42:40 pm »
Rewriting the USB driver stack as (almost) 32-bit is a waste of time. The performance gain will be unnoticeable because all transfers are done by the USB Busmaster DMA Hardware anyway. There is still the drawback with USBMSD that scatter/gather lists cannot be passed to the HC drivers (and I implemented a workaround for this limitation on my USBMSD). The USB stack otherwise works fine the way it was.
But I don't really care anymore. It is useless to argue against these decisions.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2019, 06:43:04 am »
Rewriting the USB driver stack as (almost) 32-bit is a waste of time. The performance gain will be unnoticeable because all transfers are done by the USB Busmaster DMA Hardware anyway.

I beg to differ. The  32 bit test versions are noticeably faster (with USB 2), and use less CPU, than the older versions. This is probably a very good thing, when trying to get some performance out of USB 3. Unfortunately, at the moment, it appears (to me) that HUB support is still broken, so USB 3 isn't working, for me. Apparently David does have some USB 3 devices that do work. I have no idea what hardware he is working with.