Author Topic: Kompozer and/or Nvu  (Read 10730 times)

ivan

• View Profile
Kompozer and/or Nvu
« on: May 26, 2019, 12:27:57 am »
I just went to use Kompozer on my ArcaOS machine and all I get is a totally blank window, just the frame and header.  Nothing appears in POPUPLOG.OS2.

I then tried Nvu and it complained of a missing LIBC05.dll and PMDll shows that GCC322.dll is also required

Now, any ideas about getting Kompozer to run, or is that impossible?
The other thing, is it safe to add the two missing dlls for Nvu and if so where would they go?

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
Re: Kompozer and/or Nvu
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 01:06:52 am »
LIBC05.dll is the (15 year old) innotek version of GCC libc, they are usually supplied with the application and you may need to put the subfolder they are in in the LIBPATH

If they are not, you can find them here: http://www.dreamlandbbs.com/gfd/gnudev/gcc322b4.zip

This is the whole compiler but the dll's in there as well, the two dll's can be extracted from the archive and placed anywhere  in the LIBPATH or in the same directory as the program itself. As some old unix and Windows ports rely on these dll's as well, it makes sense to place them in x:\os2\dll so that you do not have to install them again for other old ports.

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 01:15:04 am »
Please note that the dreamland site is occasionally unavailable

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 02:05:09 am »
The official libc05 is here, (use an OS/2 browser) http://www.os2site.com/sw/dev/gcc/old/libc-0.5.1.exe.
Which Kompozer did you try? I should still have the source and could try rebuilding it.
You can also use Composer, which is part of SeaMonkey and what the others are based on.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 01:47:39 pm »
Thanks everyone.  I have Nvu up and running, just pulled the DLLs from my NAS storage (I was concerned that they might clash withthe DLLs  for the nixi ports.

Dave.  Since there is nothing that gives the version of Kompozer all I can say that all the files are dated 28/08/2012.  If you could rebuild it that would be great or if Composer was a stand alone program and is newer that might be better.

Again thanks everyone.

Heikki Kekki

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 01:55:31 pm »
Kompozer 0.8b3 works here on ArcaOS 5, downloaded few years ago from
ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/incoming/mozilla/kompozer.08b3.zip

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 07:33:29 pm »
Kompozer 0.8b3 works here on ArcaOS 5, downloaded few years ago from
ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/incoming/mozilla/kompozer.08b3.zip

Hi Heikki, good to see you're still around.
Kompozer 0.8b3, downloaded from above link, runs fine here. Only requirement is libc063, which here is a forwarder to libcn. It's possible that some environments may need LIBPATHSTRICT and BEGINLIBPATH to avoid picking up other versions of some of the DLLs.
I'll see if it'll still build here. I have a feeling it'll need an older GCC.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2019, 02:23:34 pm »
Nvu 1.0 (20050629) still works here, now Kompozer on the other hand is a slightly different story. Initially upon 1st attemp it appeared to try to start up, the main window flashed and it went away afterwards.

As Dave suggested I was guessing there is some sort of incompatibility between it and FF45.x that I'm running. I went to CLI and started the *cmd that my WPS objects points to, which is:

Code: [Select]
SET LIBPATHSTRICT=T
rem the following may only needed if another Mozilla based app is in LIBPATH
SET BEGINLIBPATH=G:\code\tools\kompozer
REM SET MOZILLA_HOME=<profile_path>
G:\code\tools\kompozer\kompozer.exe

...well, strangely enough that came up fine. So what I seem to have here is KompoZer 0.8b4pre (20100331).

Further on, as I attempted to re-start it again it still flashed and went away...however, re-starting the very next time made it come up just fine. So literally on my machine here, for whatever reason, I have a repeatable cycle of:

1) 1st start - main window flashes and app dies
2) 2nd start - full app comes up
3) 3rd start - back to 1st start behaviour
4) 4th start - back to 2nd start behaviour

LOL...go figure!