OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Multimedia

Warp with 2 sound cards?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Fahrvenugen:
Lars,

With the current state of MMOS2, the fact that IBM essentially abandoned it around the time of Warp 3, I am not surprised that there are bugs.  I certainly would not put any fault in your driver or applet, in fact I applaud your efforts - I'm really impressed with how well your USB audio driver works.

The sad part - there was a time when MMOS2 was near the top of the game - I can recall when the only system that had better multimedia capabilities was the Amiga.  Unfortunately today it can be a challenge just to get a sound card to work.  But I can't say that I'm all that surprised.

Anyways, thanks for your efforts.  I still have an old Warp 3 machine here, it isn't the one that I had from way back when with 2 audio cards, but I might just see if I can get the Warp 3 box I do have going with 2 cards to see if it works the way I remember.  I do recall that when I did have 2 cards working it was on an old machine with all ISA ports (it took quite a bit of fiddling with the jumpers and IRQ's to get it to work... that's how I recall it was an ISA based machine).  Unfortunately I don't remember specific details of any configurations that might have been needed.  1996 was a long time ago!

Cheers!

Dave Yeo:
I had a ProAudioSpectrum (PAS) card, which basically had 2 cards, the native one and a sound blaster clone. Easy to set up as it used soft switches in config.sys but IIRC, mostly what i did was use the PAS part for OS/2 and the sound blaster for WinOS2. DOS could handle both, as simcity2000 took advantage of both.
I've still got the last ISA based machine I had, should see if it still runs.

Lars:

--- Quote from: Fahrvenugen on June 05, 2019, 09:53:12 pm ---Lars,

With the current state of MMOS2, the fact that IBM essentially abandoned it around the time of Warp 3, I am not surprised that there are bugs.  I certainly would not put any fault in your driver or applet, in fact I applaud your efforts - I'm really impressed with how well your USB audio driver works.

The sad part - there was a time when MMOS2 was near the top of the game - I can recall when the only system that had better multimedia capabilities was the Amiga.  Unfortunately today it can be a challenge just to get a sound card to work.  But I can't say that I'm all that surprised.

--- End quote ---

Do you know the [Filters] sections in MMPM2.INI ? If you are a programmer or if you have any idea of how to USE these filters via the MCI interface API functions, I'd be more than glad if you would let me know. What I tried to achieve is to use these filters to convert ADPCM encoded WAV files to PCM WAV files (which is what the IMAADPCM and MSADPCM filter drivers most likely do) but I have no clue of how to "tie" a filter to the WAVE device so that filtering will actually take place. I planned to use that in the USBWAV DLL to make it completely transparent for users to open and play any WAV file, regardless of its internal compression type. I have managed to do that for u-law and a-law compressed WAVE files but I have not "wrapped" these as filters and am calling the registered CODEC procs directly (the a-law and u-law CODECS are also contained in USBWAV.DLL).

Unfortunately, that "filtering" stuff is not documented at all in the MMOS2 programming spec but the Toolkit header files clearly show that a filter is much like a device (it has an MCI DEVICE TYPE just analogous to a WAVE device). It's just not explained anywhere of how you open a filter "device" and "tie" it to a WAVE device.

When I look at the Windows API of what is left of the MCI API (yes, it still exists in Windows even if it is marked as deprecated ...) then I can see that they have removed tons of awkward to use MCI functions like, for example, the connector stuff that nobody ever really understood of how it is to be used. And of course, they also removed that "filter" stuff ...

Lars

Andi B.:
A few years ago I asked Timur Tabi some questions regarding OS/2 and multimedia. Although he don't use OS/2 since a very long time he answered politely and in detail. Maybe he still answers specific questions if you ask directly. I think he's the most knowledgeable guy in this field.

Lars:
Do you know any email address ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version