Author Topic: Question  (Read 4401 times)

pryan74

Question
« on: June 13, 2019, 07:56:02 pm »
Hi to all
question  regarding installing a windows program  (works on win 95 thru win 10).
in arcaos 5.0,3.  Program is Home Plan Pro.  I had this working sometime ago
( an old ver of ecomstation).  Any thoughts, suggestions on getting this installed,
if at all to work under Arca os.
thanks in advance
Regards    Phil

ivan

• View Profile
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 10:28:19 pm »
I have a nasty feeling that the only way you will get this working on ArcaOS is by using VirtualBox and even that can be problematic depending on your hardware (example: Vbox just runs on one of my Ryzen based computers but don't try and do anything with it) an older computer is better.

Others might have had better luck.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 11:16:36 pm »
Program is Home Plan Pro.  I had this working sometime ago ( an old ver of ecomstation).

If it worked with eCS, it should work with ArcaOS. How did you set it up to work in eCS? Was it in WinOS2, under ODIN, or some other way? Since you say it works in win '95, I suspect that it was using ODIN. Install ODIN (it is probably already installed), and set it to run the program.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 02:15:56 am »
Hi

Is this the software?
Was it run with Odin? Since the site says it runs on W95, W98, W2K, XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 10, I guess it runs in 32bits, so maybe something can be tried with Odin.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

xynixme

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 12:08:10 pm »
I'm not using ArcaOS nor the software in question, but is Win-OS/2 DOS and affected by some non-fullscreen DOS session video issue of ArcaOS?

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 12:41:06 am »
Program is Home Plan Pro.  I had this working sometime ago ( an old ver of ecomstation).

If it worked with eCS, it should work with ArcaOS. How did you set it up to work in eCS? Was it in WinOS2, under ODIN, or some other way? Since you say it works in win '95, I suspect that it was using ODIN. Install ODIN (it is probably already installed), and set it to run the program.

Unless deselected by the user ODIN is installed by default!
You can check by typing PE.EXE from the command line.

Roderick Klein

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 06:55:20 am »
I'm not using ArcaOS nor the software in question, but is Win-OS/2 DOS and affected by some non-fullscreen DOS session video issue of ArcaOS?

It's not so much ArcaOS as any version of OS/2 would be affected but rather a combination of the video BIOS and VSVGA.SYS limitations as well as a kernel bug it seems.
Some systems work fine, some can't display any DOS sessions and many have limits.
Here, a DOS session will only start full screen, I can then Alt-Home to display it in a window. WinOS2 seamless complains that  it can't run due to unsupported video resolution, then runs fine.
There's some workarounds that help some.
The future looks bleak as manufacturers drop parts of the video BIOS support, once VESA is gone, it'll be much harder running OS/2 on new hardware.

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2019, 09:59:33 am »
Just a note to Dave, you wrote:

"The future looks bleak as manufacturers drop parts of the video BIOS support, once VESA is gone, it'll be much harder running OS/2 on new hardware."

The proof of concept  of the UEFI  loader Alex Taylor from Arca Noae  demonstrated at Warpstock Europe this year in Utrecht is promising.  He showed a system being able to publicly boot  switched to UEFI mode.
The VESA BIOS was provided by the UEFI loader. It seems to contain a MINI VESA BIOS. The result is that Panorama can load unodified. It also reports the VESA BIOS Vendor being ArcaOS.

Roderick