Author Topic: Samba problem with ArcaOS 5.0.5  (Read 6086 times)

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
Samba problem with ArcaOS 5.0.5
« on: August 22, 2020, 01:55:37 am »
I have SAMBA installed on two partitions 5.0.4 as drive D: and 5.0.5 as drive as drive C: alongside each other on the same ssd. 5.0.4 works great. using the identical setup steps for 5.0.5 Samba boots up but almost imeadiatly SMBD dies. It looks like the setup of the Samba passwords (I use root & root) is processed but don't actually work.. Selecting Samba users and groups won't open because it says the passwords aren't legiminate.
  Anybody got 5.0.5 setup and running w/o problems?

Thanks for any ideas.    klipp

Pete

• View Profile
Re: Samba problem with ArcaOS 5.0.5
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 03:27:04 am »
Hi klipp

Possibly a klUsrMgr problem . I seem to recall it was necessary to run klUsrMgr after an update to avoid password problems.

Regards

Pete

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 04:00:52 am »
SAMBA has a major problem when the WHEEL group contains root. Something (probably klUsrMgr) puts that in the %UNIXROOT%\etc\group file. Remove "root" from the wheel group (listed on the left side), and your problem will probably be solved (you may need to reboot).

FWIW, this nonsense should be resolved when SAMBA server 4 is finished, and installed.

My approach is to NEVER, ever, run klUsrMgr, until it has some actual use.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 04:11:07 am »
Removing wheel from root does indeed fix ArcaOS.

Better to do it from command line.

groupmod -x "wheel"

As an alternative, I set up a fix using Suntan Special. I'd like Samba to work for my customers. Upgrading to a new machine is much easier when they share files.

http://www.blondeguy.com/SambaforOS2.html
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 08:04:38 pm »
Hey THANKS, Pete, Doug and Neil! That definatly fixed the problem! Unfortunatly it uncovered another problem which I'm having problems figuring out. Now machines on my LAN can connect and transfer files to the box with ArcaOS 5.0.5 without problems, but the machine with ArcaOS 5.0.5 cant send files to the other machines on the LAN. It shows them on Arca Mapper Connections and connects to the desired machine and selects the desired files, designates the desired Drive letter to use, accepts the root password, and then craps out with the "an unexpected network error occurred."
Any other ideas? I'm running on empty!   Thanks again

klipp

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 08:27:03 pm »
You'll need to get all the servers and clients to agree on the security protocol

One last thing that is needed to make this work with newer clients. Set max protocol = SMB2 in smb.conf. This can be down with the edit smb.conf icon. Restart the samba server for the change to become effective. I suspect there may be other configuration changes needed by some people but I can't test every scenario.

I'm sure ArcaOS 5.1 will run a newer Samba server that is easier to configure. The challenge is that we are stuck with what we've got, and running Samba 4 takes way, way more sophistication to use without a user interface or end-user documentation.

One thing that the Samba writers on Linux do not consider is that we are coming from the original SMB networking platform. That is so many generations ago that they specifically forbid it to work. But that is what we run today, so if we want to move on, I guess they expect us to copy all our files using floppies.

Even the Samba 3 server we have in ArcaOS is too new to fully support the IBM file and print client. It works for a few simple cases.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2020, 03:11:41 am »
Hey Neil,

I'm sure ArcaOS 5.1 will run a newer Samba server that is easier to configure. The challenge is that we are stuck with what we've got, and running Samba 4 takes way, way more sophistication to use without a user interface or end-user documentation.

The intent is to ship an updated Samba Server in ArcaOS 5.1 - one based on a supported code level. Samba 3.6 as shipped in ArcaOS 5.0x was first released in 2011 and marked EOL in 2015. There are bound to be unpatched security vulnerabilities in that code base.

The intent will be to released an updated UI and end-user documentation - but in terms of the server code - it's available now - and the more people test it, and help document things, the better the end product will end up being.

Cheers,

Paul

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2020, 06:09:26 pm »
I will help, but it looks too difficult.

Just getting Samba Users and Groups running under ArcaOS 5.0.5 took weeks. I'm hoping the new Samba uses the same password stuff and the same smb.conf stuff.

Some rough guide to how to migrate from 3.6 to the new Samba test version would be helpful.

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2020, 02:59:35 am »
Hi Neil and Paul, I've been 3 weeks fumbling with Samba on 5.0.5.With your help Neil, I'm getting closer, but still no cigar! I'd also be willing to test the new version, but with some form of gudiance   for how to upgrade.
HEY Paul,  Are you doing this alone?  If I ever get 5.0.5 useable I'd then feel better qualified to tangle with the newer version. Hows the dogs? I've got my old sheperd learning to use a Mexican made wheelchair for dogs.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2020, 05:16:53 am »
Hi Klipp,

Hi Neil and Paul, I've been 3 weeks fumbling with Samba on 5.0.5.With your help Neil, I'm getting closer, but still no cigar! I'd also be willing to test the new version, but with some form of gudiance   for how to upgrade.
HEY Paul,  Are you doing this alone?  If I ever get 5.0.5 useable I'd then feel better qualified to tangle with the newer version. Hows the dogs? I've got my old sheperd learning to use a Mexican made wheelchair for dogs.

When I get some time, I'll try setup Samba Server 3.6 in a VM and upgrade it to 4.11.x.

To answer the question about 'doing this alone' in terms of coding - largely, yes - but the reality is that without feedback and testing from end users, I'd never find all the problems with the port.

Dogs are well - our younger had TPLO surgery to repair a ruptured canine cruciate ligament in March, she's back to full strength now though. Glad to hear yours is adapting to a wheel chair - they really are amazing creatures!

Cheers,

Paul