Author Topic: ODIN Revisited  (Read 20160 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
ODIN Revisited
« on: June 14, 2019, 06:59:27 pm »
Hi

Just checking some other thread it makes me wonder if we should try to revisit some of the old Windows 32bits programs that used to run on ODIN and check how are they running today. Maybe today testing those apps can be easier with Virtual Machines, back on the early days of ODIN,  I remember I used to test some Windows apps with more constrains since I didn't want to screw up my OS/2 working configuration on real hardware and had bandwith limitations to download software.

Today I tried RealPlayer 8, to remember the old days, maybe it is not very useful now. But it was fun to see that the installer already worked, and also the program. I just run "pe rp8-setup.exe" and it installed, "pe realplayer.exe" to run the software.

I also remember that mirc used to work, but I didn't have the old ones, I tried the latest v7.55. It also installed, but it crashed with some error when I tried to run it.

Maybe it can be interesting to revisit some old Win32bits games.

Any Win32bits software that you remember that used to work, or maybe that you still use?

Regards

« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 07:19:10 pm by miadmin »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

ivan

• View Profile
Re: ODIN Revisited
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 10:15:12 pm »
I have to admit I am using the Odin install from my old Warp 4.52 CP install (I just copied the Odin directory across to my Ryzen box).

That being said I have no problem running IrfanView (picture editing) and Photofilter7 (photo editing).  I used to have a few others running but haven't tried them in over 12 months.

danielnez1

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 11:26:50 pm »
For me its pretty awesome ODIN can run Office 97 programs from the CD (with errors regarding file paths, which is exactly the same when running thrm on Windows directly off the CD), though installing them is a different matter (the setup.exe program is a 16bit stub so you need to use acmsetup.exe but that fails with setup unable  to write files to the installation directory after a short while)  :(

The Windows XP version of solitaire runs, though the red cards are rendered black so it is difficult to play.

On the plus side, the 32 bit version of SkiFree runs like a champ  :D

miadmin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 11:33:10 pm »
Do you think it will be a good idea to try to revive the "Odin Compatible Application" database? (Here it is an archived link), but doing it on a Wiki, since it is the only easy to use technology I know :)

Regards

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 07:03:33 am »
My vote would be yes.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 03:26:30 pm »
Hi

I started to check some of the Odin articles and information about running apps.

I would like to run Quake III Arena with Odin. I'm reading this HowTo, but he points to some Mesa3D files I can not found. (mesa3d-31.zip, mesa3d-51.zip ).

If someone knows or remember something on how to run Quake III Arena with Odin, please let me know.

Regards
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 06:52:12 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Mike Kölling

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 06:01:47 pm »
I still use from time to time "Compare It" to look for differences between files. For me it is better than our native GFC.
Greetings from Potsdam / Germany,
Mike

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2019, 06:35:52 pm »
BTW: I like KDiff3 (for OS/2) much more than any Windows app. I use it since it was ported to OS/2 instead of GFC, which I used previously.

See also the eCSoft/2 page.

Sean Casey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 04:55:54 am »
BTW: I like KDiff3 (for OS/2) much more than any Windows app.

I have been using vim on OS/2 with diffutils.  I see KDiff3 is easier to read and will use it as my GUI alternative.  Thanks for the tip.

Mike Kölling

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 08:35:00 am »
Thanks for the hint to KDiff. Looks good for me, I will give it  a try.
Greetings from Potsdam / Germany,
Mike

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2019, 06:53:38 pm »
Hi there

I tried to do something on the wiki. I made it table like, with only games for the moment:
- https://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/Odin_Compatible_Applications

Sadly, I don't have the full netlabs odin database, only the "snapshots" from archive.org.

What it would be great is try to update the table testing those games withe latest ArcaOS and Odin version. You all are free to post any testing on this thread and I offer myself to go updating the wiki.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

jailbird

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2019, 08:06:42 am »
getaddrinfo() was added for IPv6.  It sounds like Odin probably doesn't grok IPv6 yet :(.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2019, 08:14:56 am »
getaddrinfo() was added for IPv6.  It sounds like Odin probably doesn't grok IPv6 yet :(.

OS/2, or rather libc, has only recently got getaddrinfo(), which of course only supports IPv4 on OS/2. Eventually Odin will be rebuilt and hopefully support it.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2019, 06:30:36 pm »
Hi

Yesterday I revisited SimCity 3000 with Odin.
Here are my comments/review: https://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/SimCity_3000

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Tuure Linden

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2019, 06:33:51 pm »
Have people completely abandoned ODIN development or is there still someone maintaining the project? WINE has gone a long way as well as ReactOS during last years. I am wondering if it would be possible to make ODIN also more up to date with current software.

But the problem must usually be too few developers for OS/2 in general. For example, the only FileZilla built I was able to find is at alpha stage and very unusable. And the OS/2 version of Gimp is a very ancient version with very limited functionality.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 05:51:24 am by Tuure Linden »