WebSite Information > Article Discussions

NY Subway switching to contactless

(1/2) > >>

Mathias:
Regarding to [this article], linked in the news, I might be a bit old school, but why should one switch away from analog stuff to digital, completely?
Wouldn't it be way smarter to have both systems running alongside? I mean, in the end, it's just about "returning true" to the process of the entry-gate to open, so you can get on train.

When it comes to pay-by-app these two things instantly come to my mind:
- What about people without smart phones? (Yes, they DO exist) - Or people WITH smart phones using them only with wifi, having no mobile contract)
- What about tourists and foreign phones? Will they also work?

IBM - Fixed URL

Neil Waldhauer:
They already thought about that.

https://new.mta.info/system_modernization/omny

Visitors have it no worse than before, because they can still use MetroCard.

Mathias:
Ahh okay. - Thanks for the quick reply Neil. : )

But where is OS/2 in that new chain? :>

Neil Waldhauer:
I can't comment on the future, but the old system will be around for a while.

https://ny.curbed.com/2019/5/22/18617849/nyc-subway-mta-omny-contactless-payment-system

On May 31 at noon, the MTA launched a pilot program of its new tap-to-pay system, known as OMNY, that will eventually replace swiping a MetroCard. The fare technology will roll out in phases, allowing transit officials to iron out the kinks as they work toward fully retiring the MetroCard in 2023. Now, riders can bypass lines to refill their MetroCards and simply tap their contactless bank cards or mobile wallet app on their smart phones to pay the fare.

Dennis Smith:
I wonder how many IBM PS/2s and PC Servers they still have hidden away in a closet or back room that have been running non-stop for a quarter century.  Amazing how old some of the infrastructure is that is running some businesses.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it! 

I had an IBM PC Server 500 data server in use from 1995-2013.  It just kept on, keeping on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version