Author Topic: ecs 2.2  (Read 75774 times)

pryan74

ecs 2.2
« on: October 09, 2013, 04:12:15 pm »
Does any one have any thoughts as to what is going on with
ECS 2.2 GA or another beta

regards Phil

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Re: ecs 2.2
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 06:38:17 pm »

regards Phil

Hopefully, they are working hard to get it right, this time. The last attempt was not done well.

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 10:17:28 pm »
I would rather have them take their time and do it right instead of fast and having it come with lots of problems.  8)
BigGoofyGuy

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
Re: ecs 2.2 - what about Mensys?
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 08:37:03 am »

regards Phil

This leads to some serious questions:

1.) Does Mensys still have the Licence agreement with IBM? As assumed here www.os2.de/forum/helpdesk/?id=137619 (Please use Online translator) the agreement ended in 2013

2.) Does Mensys still takes/is part of the community? -> Since Warpstock there have been only a handfull post of Mensys regarding eCs 2.2, mostly announcements of Delays. Since two or three months there seems to be almost NO activity anymore while others still post their progress, like David, Lars, Wim, netlabs newsletter etc. But nothing from Mensys itself.

3.) Does Mensys still provide the Demos? As mentioned here www.os2.de/forum/helpdesk/index.php3?all=137596 (Please use Online Translator) it seems not to be possible or at least makes a lot of problems to get the Demo CD of 2.2 any more - some one with the experience?

If you sum up these informations that leads to the next question: Is eCS 2.2 Dead?

I mean - if there is a request for taking part in sponsoring - there should at least be some information if the Supplier is still alive / in action and if the Supplier is able to answer or respond to the community.

Any informations here?  :-\

« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 01:51:34 pm by Sigurd Fastenrath »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 03:21:30 pm »
Please remember that we are speculating. This speculation happens because we haven't hear anything from Mensys.

1.) Does Mensys still have the Licence agreement with IBM? As assumed here www.os2.de/forum/helpdesk/?id=137619 (Please use Online translator) the agreement ended in 2013

I personally think (opinion) that Mensys never had an agreement with IBM. Serenity System is the company that has the agreement with IBM and I think they are intermediaries with Mensys. But nobody ever questioned where is "Serenity Systems" today. Notice that eComStation page reference SSI.

I think that the agreement with IBM is not hard at all. You sell OEM license and at the end of the month you pay IBM for how much you sold. The only intervention with IBM I guess is "how many OEM did you sold this month?"... and "send over my check".

I don't think that Mensys will comment on this, because it is not polite (or maybe legal) to discuss the detail of your partnerships agreement.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 05:00:50 pm »
But nobody ever questioned where is "Serenity Systems" today. Notice that eComStation page reference SSI.

Hi Martin,

yes I guess you are right, it was (?) Serenity Systems. But who ever knows what happend there meanwhile... The site your referred to www.ecomstation.com does not have been changed since May this year.... another proof for question 2.

I hope someone from Mensys or whomever can bring light into this, may be one of the developers?

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 05:27:44 pm »
Hi Sigurd

I don't think is that bad yet.

For example I see David Azarewicz that sends some announcements from time to time of the drivers he updates, so I think he is still being paid. Plus I haven't hear any complains from other teams that work with Mensys.

I want to think that there are late with the deadlines. 

But, if the worst scenario happens, we should request Mensys to release the source code of his drivers, and start building our own OS/2 distro from IBM latests public fixpacks files :)
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
SERENITY SYSTEMS
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 06:41:52 pm »
http://serenity-systems.com/
It seems to still be there.  8)
BigGoofyGuy

melf

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 09:08:49 pm »
Well, haven't been active here for some time but I'm inclined to ask the similar question as Sigurd - is eCS still alive? It is painfully quiet, more quiet I think, than it use to be. Somebody from Mensys ought to say something.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 09:10:29 pm by melf »

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
Re: SERENITY SYSTEMS
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 10:56:07 am »
http://serenity-systems.com/
It seems to still be there.  8)

Hi Tom,

this site seems not to have been maintained for years (almost a decade I guess) as Serenity Virtual Station i.e. is dead since 2005 (?)...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SVISTA

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 11:42:17 am »
As a (volunteer) developer and not a Mensys employee, I can't tell you very much.  But I do sporadically communicate with Roderick et al and I certainly haven't been told to stop developing. :)

I get the impression Roderick is pretty busy lately (with something or other), so that quite likely applies to others at Mensys. This kind of thing has happened in the past, for example two years ago when Mensys bought that other company and temporarily diverted a lot of energy into managing the takeover.

So it wouldn't surprise me if Mensys is temporarily preoccupied with some other aspect of its business. They're not a large company and, judging from my own work experience, sometimes you just need "all hands on deck" for something or other. So I suggest just being patient for now.

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 12:38:20 pm »
So it wouldn't surprise me if Mensys is temporarily preoccupied with some other aspect of its business. They're not a large company and, judging from my own work experience, sometimes you just need "all hands on deck" for something or other. So I suggest just being patient for now.

Hi Alex,

with due respect I would like to say that this is something I can not agree with.

How long does it usually take for someone from the company to add a notice or a statement about what's going on there with eCs -> 10 Minutes? O.K., let's say half an hour. If it is not possible to spend at least half an hour during the last half year (!) for some information, should I conclude from this that the company does take it's product or the community serious?

To be honest - this is not a trustfully behaviour. Being patient is sometimes really usefull but here one has to be being patient for years now - even after the long time eCS 2.0 disaster (2006 - 2010) things did not change.

And please do not misinterprete (not my mothertongue) -> it does not bother me at all, it is just that I would like to know - before I continue to sponsor some things and spend money for this -> is it still there? Is it going on?

And as I have got the notion that since May no information has been provided other that the Launch of eCS 2.2 has been delayed for more than a year now - I will not go on supporting the product.

And I guess I am not the only one of that opinion. I am just simply asking for information, a right of a usual customer. Sorry.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 12:41:40 pm by Sigurd Fastenrath »

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 05:10:40 pm »
Sigurd,

Don't misunderstand me. I never said you shouldn't be annoyed or frustrated. To be sure, you have every right to be.

I was just pointing out that this sort of thing has happened before (and it seems like you agree with that) and it didn't mean that eCS was 'dead' then, so I don't see any reason to believe that it might now either. (I haven't really talked to anybody from Mensys since I moved back to Japan last month, but I suspect that various people would have heard, at least through the grapevine, if anything truly dire had gone down.)

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2013, 06:23:18 pm »
Hi All

Last I heard anything about the 2.2 release (not sure whether it refers to another beta or GA) is an email from Roderick to the eCS TestTeam dated 10/07/2013. Roderick replies to an email asking when 2.2 will happen:-

> [ eComStation Test Team ]
>
> Thanks Roderick for the Update.
>
> So, this means, all other issues found in 2.2 Beta have been found and fixed?
> Thats good news.
>
> While I understand, Timing in Development is sometimes tricky; would you have an indication for USB work completed and 2.2 GA?

Last nuts and bolds. Lot of issue's resolved. Hopefully at the end of
this month.

Roderick

NOTE: Roderick does not mention a year...  ;-)

I can only guess other problems have been found that are not yet resolved or, as Alex suggests, Roderick & Mensys are/have been involved in other things.

Regards

Pete

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 07:21:20 am »

This leads to some serious questions:

2.) Does Mensys still takes/is part of the community? -> Since Warpstock there have been only a handfull post of Mensys regarding eCs 2.2, mostly announcements of Delays. Since two or three months there seems to be almost NO activity anymore while others still post their progress, like David, Lars, Wim, netlabs newsletter etc. But nothing from Mensys itself.

3.) Does Mensys still provide the Demos? As mentioned here www.os2.de/forum/helpdesk/index.php3?all=137596 (Please use Online Translator) it seems not to be possible or at least makes a lot of problems to get the Demo CD of 2.2 any more - some one with the experience?

If you sum up these informations that leads to the next question: Is eCS 2.2 Dead?

I mean - if there is a request for taking part in sponsoring - there should at least be some information if the Supplier is still alive / in action and if the Supplier is able to answer or respond to the community.

Any informations here?  :-\

After one week of silence via Mensys (I wonder that even no actual developer has some information here, but thanks to Alex Taylor for reply) I must answer these questions myself like this

1. Possibly not - Mensys or Serenity - who cares?

2. Obviously not.

3. see 2, may be different.

"Is eCS 2.2 dead?" -> if one just follow the logical track - guess what....  :-\  In the end it is really a pitty, but life is life, there is something more important than Operating Systems  ::)

« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 07:24:58 am by Sigurd Fastenrath »