2 (5.3%)
Phoenix bird
5 (13.2%)
Elephant-seal ... or any other Mutant
1 (2.6%)
Whale
1 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: The Mascot  (Read 61985 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
The Mascot
« on: October 09, 2013, 11:54:33 pm »
I remember that long time ago we used to have some discussion in a OS/2 forum, I don't think it was on OS2World but I'm not sure.

The discussion was if OS/2, eComStation (the Warp Community in general) should have a mascot, what should it be.
I even think there used to be a contest and some mascots showed up like "Captain Warp" and others.

I know it is not a critical discussion, but if I have to choose a mascot it will be an Elephant.

Why an Elephant?
Because it reminds me the OS/2 Warp evil registration screen that IBM made for all of us.

Remember this bad boy?

So an Elephant mascot inspired on this character will be good for me :)

What name should I put this Mascot?

I will name this mascot Art Chron, but just call it "Arty".  Remember why?

I don't know why this came to my mind, but If anybody remembers where I read this discussion long time ago, or if anybody has a link, please let me know. 
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 11:58:27 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Ben

Re: The Mascot
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 12:35:54 am »
I remember something vaguely about this elephant and why it came into being.

I believe it was included in the first version of OS/2. It was something like a "nose thumbing" to someone who mocked the developers and said something like, (and I paraphrase), 'OS/2 would happen when elephants learned to dance'.

Thus, it was included in the first editions of OS/2.

That isn't exactly right, but it's something close to it. I'm sure someone else here can make adjustments... if the results warrant the effort.

I also find your mascot name interesting... about as interesting as Rat Ronch... which, (some of you may have noticed), is an anagram for "Art Chron". 8)

It is also mildly interesting that your mascot is a descendant of a mastodon...

All that is left for you to do is to put an "ascot" on it and you'll have a;

"mastadon mascot in an ascot ". 8)

Alright... that's my fun for today. I'm going now...

muffetta

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 01:06:39 am »
Hi Martin, there was an article on VOICE about, "The ugly duckling!" was the logical conclusion, since it reflect the real condition of OS/2 and eCS.
http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_issues/VNL0507H/feature_1.html
Sure I'd love the ugly duckling  :-* !!!!
Regards

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 04:00:22 am »
Thanks for the article Barbara.

....but I'm trying to find out where I read that about Captain Warp, I think it was an old web page.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 05:36:35 pm »
http://www.os2world.com/cgi-bin/ultraboard/UltraBoard.cgi?action=Read&BID=76&TID=165&SID=
Here is a link to the older forum which had a discussion of it.

Here is a book called 'Beneath the Dancing Elephant'. It mentions OS/2. It is probably not related but I thought I would post it anyway. :)
http://beneaththedancingelephant.com/about-the-author.html

An article on OS/2 Ezine.
http://www.os2ezine.com/v3n09/sstips.htm
BigGoofyGuy

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
Re: Mouse Mascot?
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 05:46:37 pm »
I remember a Captain Warp. I think there was a t-shirt where Captain Warp flew out of the Windows logo. I had one of the t-shirts (have to look for it now).

Perhaps a plush elephant with either OS/2 Warp or eComStation logo on it? :)

Perhaps the mascot should be a mouse since Serenity Systems is a small company? It worked for Disney.  ::)  Perhaps made by a company similar to this one? http://www.customplush.com/
BigGoofyGuy

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 04:34:09 am »
Another book available is "Who Says Elephants Can't Dance?" by Louis V. Gerstner, Jr., the chairman and CEO of IBM from April 1993 until March 2002. Gerstner claims that his greatest achievement at IBM was to kill OS/2.

Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Ben

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 01:38:57 am »
Another book available is "Who Says Elephants Can't Dance?" by Louis V. Gerstner, Jr., the chairman and CEO of IBM from April 1993 until March 2002. Gerstner claims that his greatest achievement at IBM was to kill OS/2.

Heheh... I remember when that book came out and I can recall that claim going around the OS/2 community; it is as good a laugh now as it was then. 8)

To reiterate; to say, (20 yrs later with OS/2 still alive), that the claim was a bit premature is an understatement... though it is not, (unfortunately), without a certain measure of truth.

8|

OS/2 is without question, going through the agony of a "death of a thousand cuts"... which is a technique that the rich and powerful have used back through time immemorial to get rid of something that they do not want around anymore. *sighs* It is not really the getting rid of something though, rather, a withdrawal or, an allowing something to wither and die... along with all of the supporters. A slow starving out.

This way, there really isn't any real opposition anymore. It's like giving a baby a dumb-tit that was once connected to a milk-bottle. The baby crawls away with the booty and hides in some corner where it dies slowly of malnutrition and a controlled starvation... yet... it is still mentally and emotionally "pacified" and thus, neutralized.

The most recent and obvious one that we have all been living through, being the systematic dismantling of the Christian faith. (And you thought it was a natural occurrence.) I'm not saying that such a dismantling is a good or bad thing, just using it as a real-life example that we are all witnessing that utilizes the same technique... albeit on a much larger scale.

Once the powerful find a technique that works... I'll finish that in the words of Plato who said it around 2,250 years ago... and I will paraphrase; "once the powerful have discovered a technique that works, they never stop using it".

Thus, it is pretty easy to see one of their techniques being implemented throughout the society that you are living in... going on around you... and being used upon you... once you have become aware of how it works.

You can see something similar going on in the Middle East that was initiated with the 90s Gulf War of G. Bush Sr... and still going on today.

Same bread, different jam.

Anyway, I have digressed enough...

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
Re: The MastMascot
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 08:53:09 pm »

The Mastedon Mascot.  ;D
BigGoofyGuy

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 11:30:44 pm »
An extinct elephant as the mascot might lead to comparisons to the OS with someone saying it was apropos.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 11:39:31 pm »
ha ha.. good one. But the extinct elephant is a good mascot too,  it is just an mastodon :) 

...and it is always good to pull a laugh or two.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Ben

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 12:00:48 am »
An extinct elephant as the mascot might lead to comparisons to the OS with someone saying it was apropos.

Yikes!

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 09:22:21 pm »
I read the old OS2World forum thread, I also liked the idea of a mouse. A mouse is an animal and also part of the computer desktop :)
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
Phoenix bird for the mascot?
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 03:09:00 pm »
If a mouse is chosen, perhas it could be like the one on the children's show 'Between the Lions'? On the show they had a computer mouse that had features of a real mouse.

I like the phoenix bird the best. It is good since the phoenix bird is born out of fire, it is renewal. It is similar to OS/2 Warp being reborn/renewed in eComStation.  8)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_(mythology)

I wonder if one could get a plush phoenix bird?  ;D
http://www.amazon.com/Endangered-Fire-Phoenix-Stuffed-Animal/dp/B001MQBYPQ
BigGoofyGuy

jdeb

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 06:31:33 pm »
How about an OWL