Public Discussions > Off Topic discussions

Should I go for it or better not?

<< < (2/2)

Mathias:
Yes, I do agree. It is indeed quite pricy. But this was (up until now) the only complete find of this machine case. In the very end I am only interested in that case. The hardware itself (needs to be an AT board) can be ebay'ed for a couple of EUR.

I did find ONE other offer a while ago, selling a SkyTower 400, but that one was incomplete (case foot was missing, side panel was bended.. etc)

Anyway! Big thanks for your opinions. I value them a lot! - Not going to bid on this offer.
I already asked him if we could leave away the CRT screen, as I don't need it, just the case and the software. - He replied, yes, this is possible, but he can't change the price anymore, he wrote.
Well.. I suspect if this is true, he cannot sell it cheaper anymore, until he ends this auction.

Ivan, this is a very interesting question. IF I am able to get such a Highscreen SkyTower 400 or 500, I'd need an appropriate hardware to put into that casing. I'd favour an AMD 486er (as I already have such a machine with a SkyTower 400 (was my very first PC in 1992)). If possible, I'd contact you for appropriate hardware. : )

Olafur Gunnlaugsson:

--- Quote from: Sean Casey on July 27, 2019, 12:36:28 am ---I believe you are referring to the Pentium's floating point division bug.  This impacted certain calculations requiring precision at the fourth decimal place.

--- End quote ---

Minor historical nitpicking vis a vis the OP's question, the Pentium FP bug only affected the first generation of 60 and 66 MHz processors, the Socket 5 processors like the P90 are not affected.

Dennis Smith:

--- Quote from: Olafur Gunnlaugsson on July 30, 2019, 11:03:16 pm ---
Minor historical nitpicking vis a vis the OP's question, the Pentium FP bug only affected the first generation of 60 and 66 MHz processors, the Socket 5 processors like the P90 are not affected.

--- End quote ---

The FP bug also affected early production Pentium 75-100MHz processors.   I had some Pentium 90MHz IBM servers that needed to have the CPU replaced under the recall back in the 1990's.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version