Author Topic: ArcaOS 5.0.4 is out!  (Read 50204 times)

David McKenna

• View Profile
ArcaOS 5.0.4 is out!
« on: July 28, 2019, 02:05:21 am »
Woohoo! Downloading now...

Mo

• View Profile
Re: ArcaOS 5.0.4 is out!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 12:55:14 pm »
running in a timeout when trying to download  :(
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 01:53:22 pm by Moritz »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 03:02:25 pm »
Hi

It is always interesting to read the "Changelog", the changes on 5.0.4 goes from 5.0.3.1 to 5.0.3.9

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 04:30:14 pm »
Hi

Any mention of USB3 and non-genmac wireless drivers?

Regards

Pete

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2019, 04:39:48 pm »
Any mention of USB3 and non-genmac wireless drivers?
No, both are not ready yet.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2019, 05:28:18 pm »
Ryzen 3 2200G.

Update went reasonably well - an inordinate number of reboots, but...

As we are advised there are changes in the desktop.  The biggest being that everything is moved and not where I expect them to be.  The next problem is that many of my normal programs no longer run - I suspect there are some DLLs that have been changed and are no longer backwards compatible, or hopefully need switches to make them work.

Without USB3, there is no way I can test an install on modern hardware and with the breaking of normal programs I will not be recommending this to my old clients.

Networking partly works, I can get out to the internet but am cut off from my NAS storage boxes although FTP does work intermittently.

So far I have not tried to do a new install, that will be the next thing to try.

nyao

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2019, 06:22:41 pm »
I do not know how to change NLV.
 firefox remains old.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2019, 07:20:30 pm »
Ivan:

Update went reasonably well - an inordinate number of reboots, but...

It takes as many reboots, as it needs. You would never notice, if you weren't watching it.   :)

The biggest being that everything is moved and not where I expect them to be.

They were moved to where a new install would put them. I find that to be only a small problem. It takes all of about 30 seconds to put it back the way I had it. To be honest, I really don't know why they need to do that, but I suppose it prevents problems.

I suspect there are some DLLs that have been changed and are no longer backwards compatible, or hopefully need switches to make them work.

What do you find that is wrong? ANPM (RPM/YUM) updates the DLLs. If you have tried to bypass that, in the past, it will probably have trouble, until you redo whatever you did. I would suggest fixing your installation to use nothing but the RPM/YUM stuff. It is now the OS/2 way, whether you believe it or not.

Networking partly works, I can get out to the internet but am cut off from my NAS storage boxes although FTP does work intermittently.

Network should work as designed. If you need special settings for NAS boxes, you will probably have to do those settings again. What do you mean by "FTP does work intermittently"? It should either work, or not.

Without USB3, there is no way I can test an install on modern hardware and with the breaking of normal programs I will not be recommending this to my old clients.

USB 3 is closer than you might think.

No programs should break. You need to analyze what is going wrong. Be specific, and we can probably figure out what you need to do to fix the problems.

NYAO:

NLV is not yet supported. Apparently that will come with version 5.1. I do know that a lot of the work has been done, but it is not, yet, ready.

firefox remains old.

Yes, it is old, and I have no idea why it has not been updated to the 4.9.0 version from BWW. I understand why they don't go to the update created by Dave Yeo, since it is not a supported version, although I highly recommend it. Apparently, BWW needs more donations to get the replacement done.

Mike Kölling

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2019, 07:44:06 pm »
No, I needed to manually reboot twice, because the counter went down to Zero and nothing happened. Even clicking the reboot button with the mouse didn't started the reboot process. Only C-A-D was working.
I can confirm that the icons on the WPS were scattered after the update. Some program references were gone as well.
I updated from 5.0.3 to 5.0.4 on an older single core laptop.
An update from eCS2.1 was not offered from the installer.
Greetings from Potsdam / Germany,
Mike
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 07:46:12 pm by Mike Kölling »

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2019, 08:00:02 pm »
The one thing I noticed is that a lot of the dlls needed to run FF 45.9, Appache Open Office, and VBox were missing from the installation.  Thanks to eCSoft/2, I was easily able to copy the necessary YUM scripts to download the necessary dlls.

As for the installation, everything went great.  Icons were where they normally are after a fresh install.   

I was wondering if the lastest fixes to XWP made it into this release?

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2019, 08:26:19 pm »
I don't know what you mean with 'latest fixes', but I guess that the last release version is integrated. BTW: Also NewView is up-to-date.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2019, 08:30:19 pm »
You can't and probably never will. NLV versions of ArcaOS will be available as separate installations. That is planned for 5.1. (Sorry, I've just noticed that Doug has already written that.)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 08:33:11 pm by Andreas Schnellbacher »

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2019, 09:41:54 pm »
Hi Doug,

I pulled up your 'fix' for libcx from an earlier thread and applied it via config.sys - now I have almost all of my programs working, one needs a little more work, it starts but then just closes.

Are there any more  'fixes' for the nixi DLLs I should know about?

The FTP problem is one that is very annoying - transferring data in bulk, several files selected for transfer, it just locks up hard, power off reset needed.

The other network problem with the NAS boxes is one that keeps on telling me that I don't have access for that network resource - no problems with networking before the update.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2019, 04:47:09 am »
David Graser:

Some program references were gone as well

Which programs?

An update from eCS2.1 was not offered from the installer.

No, only an earlier version of ArcaOS qualifies for an update.

The one thing I noticed is that a lot of the dlls needed to run FF 45.9, Appache Open Office, and VBox were missing from the installation

Please report that. If the dlls were properly installed by ANPM  (RMP/YUM), they should have been updated, if required, during an update, and left there if they didn't need updates. If you tried to do it yourself, don't bother reporting the problem. You got it wrong.

FWIW, I did an update about 200 times, with no problems like that.

The latest "official" changes are in it. A couple of others have been submitted to testing, and will probably be in the next release.

Ivan:

I pulled up your 'fix' for libcx from an earlier thread and applied it via config.sys - now I have almost all of my programs working, one needs a little more work, it starts but then just closes.

Using that fix in CONFIG.SYS is probably not a good idea. It affects all of the programs that use LIBCX, and that can easily cause the system to run out of resources, and it apparently causes programs to use lower shared memory space, when they should use high shared memory space. If you absolutely need to use that, it is best to do it on a program basis, not for the whole system. Your program that "just closes" probably needs some other update. What happens if you try to start it from a command line?

Are there any more  'fixes' for the nixi DLLs I should know about?

The "fix" is not really a "fix". It is a "work around" for programs that can't be updated to use the DLLs properly. If the program can be updated, it should be updated.

The FTP problem is one that is very annoying - transferring data in bulk, several files selected for transfer, it just locks up hard, power off reset needed.

Which FTP program are you using? Are there any tracks (POPUPLOG.OS2, log files)?

The other network problem with the NAS boxes is one that keeps on telling me that I don't have access for that network resource - no problems with networking before the update.

By "networking", I assume you mean SAMBA client. That has been updated to incorporate many security fixes, and you may need to change some settings in the server, or the client, so that they match. If you mean something else, please be specific.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2019, 05:46:19 am »
David Graser:

The one thing I noticed is that a lot of the dlls needed to run FF 45.9, Appache Open Office, and VBox were missing from the installation

Please report that. If the dlls were properly installed by ANPM  (RMP/YUM), they should have been updated, if required, during an update, and left there if they didn't need updates. If you tried to do it yourself, don't bother reporting the problem. You got it wrong.

FWIW, I did an update about 200 times, with no problems like that.

Doug I did a fresh install to another partition that I had set up weeks earlier while waiting for this release.

Some of the particular components needed for these programs were not installed during installation.  As a result, the programs would not work. YUM did not list them as installed after I downloaded the scripts from eCSoft/2 and used the scripts to install.   Once the remaining components were installed by YUM, all three programs work as expected.