Author Topic: ArcaOS 5.0.4 is out!  (Read 50207 times)

David Graser

• View Profile
Re: ArcaOS 5.0.4 is out!
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2019, 11:27:47 pm »
Doug I did a fresh install to another partition that I had set up weeks earlier while waiting for this release.

Some of the particular components needed for these programs were not installed during installation.  As a result, the programs would not work. YUM did not list them as installed after I downloaded the scripts from eCSoft/2 and used the scripts to install.   Once the remaining components were installed by YUM, all three programs work as expected.

AH!, a FRESH install (sorry, I assumed an update).

Of course those components were not installed. They are not needed for ArcaOS to function. It is expected that you will install the requirements for additional programs, when you install the programs. None of the listed programs are a part of ArcaOS, so it would not make sense to install support packages for them. How could Arca Noae know that you are going to install those programs?

FWIW, ArcaOS could install every possible package, but that would probably turn into a real mess after a while (if not immediately). Best to install what you need to run a program that you are installing, when you install it.

Hi Doug

I agree with you.  However, what I have found is that if you install the additional prerequisites for those three programs along with what ArcaOS already installs, this covers most programs out there.  Maybe add Aspell to the list also.  So add approx. 10 more components and most software will work without further effort.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2019, 02:17:14 am »
I tried to talk Louis into including the couple of prerequisites for FF45, he was pretty firm about only including prerequisites for stuff that ArcaOS includes.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2019, 03:04:50 am »
I tried to talk Louis into including the couple of prerequisites for FF45, he was pretty firm about only including prerequisites for stuff that ArcaOS includes.

Dave, that is a shame.  My take is that I would prefer ArcaOS support 99% of the programs out there with these few  additional prerequisites or 60% without these few additional prerequisites.  The numbers I am using are just examples.  I do know that those 12 additional prerequisites enable most programs I have downloaded to work.   Without them, one has to figure out what is missing.  These few additions do not make the system more unstable but more stable.  It reduces problems and headaches for the end users.   I agree with you and not Lewis.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 03:22:30 am by David Graser »

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2019, 06:06:07 am »
I agree with you.  However, what I have found is that if you install the additional prerequisites for those three programs along with what ArcaOS already installs, this covers most programs out there.  Maybe add Aspell to the list also.  So add approx. 10 more components and most software will work without further effort.

While that may be true, it does require more work to package all of it, and it all needs to be tested, to be sure that it doesn't break something else. If a user installs something, and it breaks something else, that is between the package supplier (usually BWW) and the user. Arca Naoe doesn't carry the responsibility to fix it (although history has shown that they will try). They are also trying to keep the distribution file size as small as possible. While the RPM packages are usually small, it does add up after a while.

Arca Noae has made the Arca Noae Package Manager (ANPM) available to help users do what is necessary. Those who package programs (ZIP, WarpIN, whatever else) should be making it easy to simply copy the list of requirements into the Quick Install entry field, in ANPM. The same list can be used with the YUM command line, if you feel you would rather do it that way. It usually takes longer to find the list of requirements, than it does to drop that into ANPM, and have them installed.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2019, 08:51:00 am »
With AN Software Subscription the FF45 .rpm is available. (I've finally found that out and have been wondering when they make it available. My subscription expired.)

With that .rpm, one doesn't need to manually install prerequisites. An .rpm package usually checks dependencies itself. The problem is rather, that there's only the .7z available for free. Subscription costs about 40 EUR.

xynixme

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2019, 10:00:58 am »
My take is that I would prefer ArcaOS support 99% of the programs out there with these few  additional prerequisites or 60% without these few additional prerequisites.  The numbers I am using are just examples.

More means more work, more errors, more updates, more problems and a.o. less control. While prerequisites of apps have nothing to do with an OS, nor is hiding disadvantages of modern apps a goal of an OS, and there is no clear line to be drawn. An OS is not a collection of apps, albeit e.g. Microsoft or selfish people may have been misleading in the past. Lords knows what a new modern browser may require, compiled by whom, and at the moment none of the extra goodies is required: I could probably switch to AOS, which will introduce more install-related problems than it'll solve (that number is one).

Perhaps a real bottom line is an usual browser, which can be used to download any usual up-to-date, more modern browser. And all of its possible overload of requirements. If anything it may be good to be faced with prerequisites of apps once in a while, to not hide possible extremes and to not expect that AN will solve your problems for free. An OS is not a collection of apps.

Mike Kölling

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2019, 10:24:35 am »
With AN Software Subscription the FF45 .rpm is available.

Hi Andreas,
I do have an actual software subscription from AN, but I have no idea what is the URI to have it added to ANPM. Could you please enlighten me, because I cannot find any hint at the AN web site.
Thanks and best regards from Potsdam/Germany,
Mike
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 02:57:39 pm by Mike Kölling »

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2019, 12:51:52 pm »
I do have an actual software subscription form AN, but I have no idea what is the URI to have it added to ANPM.
See the table at the top of the ANPM Wiki.

Mike Kölling

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2019, 01:31:20 pm »
See the table at the top of the ANPM Wiki.
Thanks - Danke.
Mike

Mike Kölling

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2019, 03:08:22 pm »

Hi Andreas,
I have subscriptions for AOS and the OS/2-eCS drivers. Based on your help I could add both repositories to ANPM. However the FF45.rpm will not be displayed. The repository for AOS is empty and the one for the driver subscription shows some packages which are not displayed in the release repository. So I assume I did it the right way to add both repositories.
I'd like to ask you where did you see the FF45.rpm?
Greetings from Potsdam/Germany,
Mike

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2019, 10:29:26 pm »

While that may be true, it does require more work to package all of it, and it all needs to be tested, to be sure that it doesn't break something else.

OK, I have one suggestion which does not break anything.  Add the eCSoft/2 home web site to Web sites under the Network\Web sites\OS/2 software and development folder.  This site is a life saver for it contains everything one may be looking for and the wherefore to get it working properly.  This site and OS/2 World are two indispensable web sites.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2019, 01:46:20 am »
I have subscriptions for AOS and the OS/2-eCS drivers. Based on your help I could add both repositories to ANPM. However the FF45.rpm will not be displayed. The repository for AOS is empty and the one for the driver subscription shows some packages which are not displayed in the release repository. So I assume I did it the right way to add both repositories.
I'd like to ask you where did you see the FF45.rpm?
My subscription expired, so I haven't seen the .rpm. I assumed that it must be in one of the repositories that require authentication: arcanoae-arcaos or arcanoae-sub. I see 9 items in arcanoae-sub and nothing in arcanoae-arcaos. Therefore I thought that with subscription, one sees more items.

I seem to remember that people (distributers) wrote about the .rpm. Those texts may be published too early. So, either that explains why people are upset about the unavailabilty of the .rpm or you have an access problem. I would like to know which one applies here.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2019, 04:34:56 pm »
IIRC, it is/was in arcanoae-exp. Not sure who has access to that.
Arca Noae paid for the rpm, which is why it is not broadly available, especially since they weren't happy with the port and didn't include it in ArcaOS.
Ideally I should be packaging my builds as RPMs, just haven't been motivated to learn how, as well as Mozilla apps likely needing a complex recipe to package.

Mike Kölling

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2019, 05:47:41 pm »
Ideally I should be packaging my builds as RPMs, just haven't been motivated to learn how, as well as Mozilla apps likely needing a complex recipe to package.

Hi Dave
No big issue for me. I use your "firefox-45.9.0.en-US.os2-i686-Sua2.zip" and it runs quite well. Thanks a lot for this build.
Greetings from Potsdam/Germany,
Mike

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2019, 07:59:09 pm »
yum list firefo* shows me -
firefox.i686                          45.9.0-2.oc00                 arcanoae-exp