OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - General > Events

ArcaOS 5.0.4 is out!

<< < (2/13) > >>

ivan:
Ryzen 3 2200G.

Update went reasonably well - an inordinate number of reboots, but...

As we are advised there are changes in the desktop.  The biggest being that everything is moved and not where I expect them to be.  The next problem is that many of my normal programs no longer run - I suspect there are some DLLs that have been changed and are no longer backwards compatible, or hopefully need switches to make them work.

Without USB3, there is no way I can test an install on modern hardware and with the breaking of normal programs I will not be recommending this to my old clients.

Networking partly works, I can get out to the internet but am cut off from my NAS storage boxes although FTP does work intermittently.

So far I have not tried to do a new install, that will be the next thing to try.

nyao:
I do not know how to change NLV.
 firefox remains old.

Doug Bissett:
Ivan:

--- Quote ---Update went reasonably well - an inordinate number of reboots, but...
--- End quote ---

It takes as many reboots, as it needs. You would never notice, if you weren't watching it.   :)

--- Quote ---The biggest being that everything is moved and not where I expect them to be.
--- End quote ---

They were moved to where a new install would put them. I find that to be only a small problem. It takes all of about 30 seconds to put it back the way I had it. To be honest, I really don't know why they need to do that, but I suppose it prevents problems.

--- Quote ---I suspect there are some DLLs that have been changed and are no longer backwards compatible, or hopefully need switches to make them work.
--- End quote ---

What do you find that is wrong? ANPM (RPM/YUM) updates the DLLs. If you have tried to bypass that, in the past, it will probably have trouble, until you redo whatever you did. I would suggest fixing your installation to use nothing but the RPM/YUM stuff. It is now the OS/2 way, whether you believe it or not.

--- Quote ---Networking partly works, I can get out to the internet but am cut off from my NAS storage boxes although FTP does work intermittently.
--- End quote ---

Network should work as designed. If you need special settings for NAS boxes, you will probably have to do those settings again. What do you mean by "FTP does work intermittently"? It should either work, or not.

--- Quote ---Without USB3, there is no way I can test an install on modern hardware and with the breaking of normal programs I will not be recommending this to my old clients.
--- End quote ---

USB 3 is closer than you might think.

No programs should break. You need to analyze what is going wrong. Be specific, and we can probably figure out what you need to do to fix the problems.

NYAO:

--- Quote ---I do not know how to change NLV.
--- End quote ---

NLV is not yet supported. Apparently that will come with version 5.1. I do know that a lot of the work has been done, but it is not, yet, ready.

--- Quote ---firefox remains old.
--- End quote ---

Yes, it is old, and I have no idea why it has not been updated to the 4.9.0 version from BWW. I understand why they don't go to the update created by Dave Yeo, since it is not a supported version, although I highly recommend it. Apparently, BWW needs more donations to get the replacement done.

Mike Kölling:
No, I needed to manually reboot twice, because the counter went down to Zero and nothing happened. Even clicking the reboot button with the mouse didn't started the reboot process. Only C-A-D was working.
I can confirm that the icons on the WPS were scattered after the update. Some program references were gone as well.
I updated from 5.0.3 to 5.0.4 on an older single core laptop.
An update from eCS2.1 was not offered from the installer.
Greetings from Potsdam / Germany,
Mike

David Graser:
The one thing I noticed is that a lot of the dlls needed to run FF 45.9, Appache Open Office, and VBox were missing from the installation.  Thanks to eCSoft/2, I was easily able to copy the necessary YUM scripts to download the necessary dlls.

As for the installation, everything went great.  Icons were where they normally are after a fresh install.   

I was wondering if the lastest fixes to XWP made it into this release?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version