OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - General > Events

ArcaOS 5.0.4 is out!

<< < (12/13) > >>

Dave Yeo:
Timing can be everything with download.arcanoae.com, seems there are regular reboots.
I see the newer browsers are being considered for 5.0.5. Seems that Lewis has found the newer browsers unstable while the 38ESR based ones are stable for him. I think you're the only one that has complained about 38 being unstable.

Ian Manners:
The only differences I remember between the 38.x and 45.x versions are:-

45.x
Can restart the browser more times before it clags
Displays more websites without problems
Is a lot faster (possibly only the compile options)
The unseen parts - security updates.
(added - I've had no stability problems with Dave's build which I've been using since he released them, however all my DLL's etc are manually updated.)

38.x
A lot slower to startup but as long as you opened it once and do not restart it, apart from the occasional website based problems it ran well.

I'm using Linux more and more though as there are many Australian Gov/University/Banking and other websites like Google Apps that no longer accept Firefox v45.x - it's the lack of updated javascript that seems to be the problem.

Though to be fair I'm also finding several websites that no longer seem to work with the latest Firefox under Linux, they seem to only work properly with Chrome which is a pain. My wife is also having problems with more websites using the latest Firefox on her Mac, she prefers Seamonkey because that is what she uses for email but she knows she will have to change to something else as it's getting to hard.

Tuure Linden:
Bryan Lunduke also found 38 version of Firefox being very unstable when he made his video about ArcaOS. And the OS/2 port seemed to be more unstable than the Linux one. The 45 version is also more compatible with Youtube and doesn't have the full screen bug when playing videos.

xynixme:

--- Quote from: Ian Manners on August 28, 2019, 06:01:04 am ---My wife is also having problems with more websites using the latest Firefox on her Mac, she prefers Seamonkey because that is what she uses for email but she knows she will have to change to something else as it's getting to hard.
--- End quote ---
Getting used to Thunderbird and a browser may help, because e-mail will be less demanding than "modern" websites. Nevertheless it does sounds like Firefox is becoming a victim of its own "Agile" software development methods. Too many (irrelevant) changes, while not keeping the whole community in mind. I'm still using Firefox for Windows, but only because I'm not busy looking for a replacement and I'd like to avoid Apple's, Google's, Facebook's and Microsoft's.

Here FF 38 is better, but an OS shouldn't be a collection of apps. If you can download FF 45 with FF 38, then that's enough. ISTR FF 38 works better with older hardware, FWIW, due to changes of Firefox, but of course you'll be forced to upgrade so the discussion will bcome less relevant.

I'm not sure if Microsoft Edge should be a subject of an OS review video, if there are alternative apps. I'd rate and review browsers as apps which can be replaced; not as OS components. Even embedded, illegal browsers.

ivan:

--- Quote ---ISTR FF 38 works better with older hardware,
--- End quote ---

Just an addition.  It runs very well on my AMD Ryzen based computers both with ArcOS and Zorin Linux.

Some of the stupidity I'm seeing with the browsers is very reminiscent of Microsoft's war against Netscape but now it looks like Google Chrome has some 'oddities' that web designers are using to the detriment of other browsers.

Edit: I should have added that I also use FF 60.8.0 esr on the Linux computers as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version