Author Topic: ArcaOS 5.0.4 is out!  (Read 50350 times)

Mike Kölling

• View Profile
Re: ArcaOS 5.0.4 is out!
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2019, 08:52:40 pm »
yum list firefo* shows me -
firefox.i686                          45.9.0-2.oc00                 arcanoae-exp
Not for me. Please see attached screen shot.
Mike

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2019, 08:56:06 pm »
Unauthorized - sounds like you're not authorized. Please don't ask why I'm authorized. I can't remember how I set it up anymore. Seems it was long ago. Is there nothing about in the AN wiki?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2019, 12:57:39 am »
I think only the testers got authorization (password) back when the repository was setup.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2019, 06:04:05 pm »
I think only the testers got authorization (password) back when the repository was setup.

...may have been at some point in time, although doing this check today shows the earlier 45.9.0-1.oc00 release available in their REL repo as well, which means it should be readily accessible by all who have a current and active subscription:

Code: [Select]
[G:\mptn\etc\samba]yum list firefo*
Loaded plugins: changelog, downloadonly, ps, replace, verify
arcanoae-rel         | 1.9 kB  00:00
arcanoae-rel/primary |  13 kB  00:00
local                |  951 B  00:00
netlabs-exp          | 2.9 kB  00:00
netlabs-rel          | 2.9 kB  00:00
Installed Packages
firefox-highmem.pentium4                45.9.0-1.oc00                installed

Available Packages
firefox-highmem.i686                    45.9.0-1.oc00                netlabs-rel

So maybe the issue is that the latest 45.9.0-2.oc00 has not been released?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 06:05:40 pm by Dariusz Piatkowski »

Mike Kölling

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2019, 06:15:46 pm »
...may have been at some point in time, although doing this check today shows the earlier 45.9.0-1.oc00 release available in their REL repo as well, which means it should be readily accessible by all who have a current and active subscription:

So maybe the issue is that the latest 45.9.0-2.oc00 has not been released?

No it's not. Yum List firefo* now show the following - see GRAB1101.jpg.

And in ANPM you get the following information - see GRAB1102.jpg.
And the content of the readme is:
"Load Firefox 45.9.9 DLLs high
This package uses the highmem utility to mark Firefox DLLs as high loadable.
This saves 60MB in the lower shared memory arena."

Greetings from Potsdam/Germany,
Mike
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 06:28:18 pm by Mike Kölling »

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2019, 05:36:49 am »
Hey Mike!

...So maybe the issue is that the latest 45.9.0-2.oc00 has not been released?

No it's not. Yum List firefo* now show the following - see GRAB1101.jpg...

Oh boy, you are right and I totally missed the fact that the original question/issue was with the firefox core as opposed to firefox-highmem package.

the firefox-highmem is the only firefox package I see, the other one is not showing here either.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2019, 06:08:18 am »
Here, I get,
[H:\tmp]yum list firefo*
Installed Packages
firefox.i686                         45.9.0-2.oc00                 @arcanoae-exp

firefox-highmem.i686                 45.9.0-1.oc00                 @netlabs-exp

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2019, 09:02:10 pm »
Here, I get,
[H:\tmp]yum list firefo*
Installed Packages
firefox.i686                         45.9.0-2.oc00                 @arcanoae-exp

firefox-highmem.i686                 45.9.0-1.oc00                 @netlabs-exp

grrrhhh...LOL, so just when I thought my RPM/YUM was finally working it goes awry!!!

Well, could be just an ID10T error, but it would appear the CLI 'yum list firefo*' produces a different result than my GUI ANPM does.

1) CLI:
Installed Packages
firefox-highmem.pentium4                45.9.0-1.oc00                installed
Available Packages
firefox-highmem.i686                    45.9.0-1.oc00                netlabs-rel

2) ANPM: (by selectively looking at all AVAILABLE packages in the arcanoae-exp repo)
Shows the firefox 45.9.0-2 in arcanoae-exp

Even then the above is somewhat inconsistent within ANPM itself, b/c when using the SEARCH function only the i686 version of firefox/firefox-debuginfo/firefox-highmem 45.9.0-1 come back.

Anyways, that's a different discussion though. One way or another, I am able to see 45.9.0-2, so maybe Andreas or Mike you guys are running into something similar to the above behaviour when searching for the packages?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2019, 10:22:09 pm »
Don't forget that ANPM can do its own authorization thing so the cmd line YUM won't see it if not installed.

Tuure Linden

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2019, 08:52:02 pm »
I have tried to re-download my copy for several days but download.arcanoae.com doesn't respond. Well, I already found my misplaced USB stick but hopefully possible download issues will be fixed before the next major update.

It's nice to see the progress made and I'm looking forward for the next release. It's a mystery why they still don't ship newer version of Firefox because 38 generation is very outdated and even unstable. But Arca Noae has made a huge amount of work in a short period of time because they have based all on IBM's last release and not eComstation. So they have had to redo much work that eComstation people had already done before.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2019, 02:22:08 am »
Timing can be everything with download.arcanoae.com, seems there are regular reboots.
I see the newer browsers are being considered for 5.0.5. Seems that Lewis has found the newer browsers unstable while the 38ESR based ones are stable for him. I think you're the only one that has complained about 38 being unstable.

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • ComKal Networks Australia
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2019, 06:01:04 am »
The only differences I remember between the 38.x and 45.x versions are:-

45.x
Can restart the browser more times before it clags
Displays more websites without problems
Is a lot faster (possibly only the compile options)
The unseen parts - security updates.
(added - I've had no stability problems with Dave's build which I've been using since he released them, however all my DLL's etc are manually updated.)

38.x
A lot slower to startup but as long as you opened it once and do not restart it, apart from the occasional website based problems it ran well.

I'm using Linux more and more though as there are many Australian Gov/University/Banking and other websites like Google Apps that no longer accept Firefox v45.x - it's the lack of updated javascript that seems to be the problem.

Though to be fair I'm also finding several websites that no longer seem to work with the latest Firefox under Linux, they seem to only work properly with Chrome which is a pain. My wife is also having problems with more websites using the latest Firefox on her Mac, she prefers Seamonkey because that is what she uses for email but she knows she will have to change to something else as it's getting to hard.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 06:04:27 am by Ian Manners »
Cheers
Ian B Manners

Tuure Linden

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2019, 06:18:47 am »
Bryan Lunduke also found 38 version of Firefox being very unstable when he made his video about ArcaOS. And the OS/2 port seemed to be more unstable than the Linux one. The 45 version is also more compatible with Youtube and doesn't have the full screen bug when playing videos.

xynixme

« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2019, 03:37:04 pm »
My wife is also having problems with more websites using the latest Firefox on her Mac, she prefers Seamonkey because that is what she uses for email but she knows she will have to change to something else as it's getting to hard.
Getting used to Thunderbird and a browser may help, because e-mail will be less demanding than "modern" websites. Nevertheless it does sounds like Firefox is becoming a victim of its own "Agile" software development methods. Too many (irrelevant) changes, while not keeping the whole community in mind. I'm still using Firefox for Windows, but only because I'm not busy looking for a replacement and I'd like to avoid Apple's, Google's, Facebook's and Microsoft's.

Here FF 38 is better, but an OS shouldn't be a collection of apps. If you can download FF 45 with FF 38, then that's enough. ISTR FF 38 works better with older hardware, FWIW, due to changes of Firefox, but of course you'll be forced to upgrade so the discussion will bcome less relevant.

I'm not sure if Microsoft Edge should be a subject of an OS review video, if there are alternative apps. I'd rate and review browsers as apps which can be replaced; not as OS components. Even embedded, illegal browsers.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2019, 05:07:04 pm »
ISTR FF 38 works better with older hardware,

Just an addition.  It runs very well on my AMD Ryzen based computers both with ArcOS and Zorin Linux.

Some of the stupidity I'm seeing with the browsers is very reminiscent of Microsoft's war against Netscape but now it looks like Google Chrome has some 'oddities' that web designers are using to the detriment of other browsers.

Edit: I should have added that I also use FF 60.8.0 esr on the Linux computers as well.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 08:55:50 pm by ivan »