Author Topic: eCS on an Acer Aspire One?  (Read 44440 times)

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
'eCS 2.1 code work'
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2014, 03:43:10 am »
'the eCS 2.1 code should work just fine! We nevver issued beta 2.2 specific codes.' - Here is the reply from eComStation tech person. I must be doing something wrong. I will try again.  8)
BigGoofyGuy

dbanet

Re: 'eCS 2.1 code work'
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2014, 06:11:00 am »
'the eCS 2.1 code should work just fine! We nevver issued beta 2.2 specific codes.' - Here is the reply from eComStation tech person. I must be doing something wrong. I will try again.  8)

No I believe it's not you ;)

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Re: eCS on an Acer Aspire One?
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2014, 07:29:21 am »
I tried putting the registeration key on a a cd and a flash drive. It does not see it on either. The flash has the format of win32. Does this make a difference?

What do you mean by "format of Win32"?  I always use a flash drive, on a new system. I keep the eCS key on the hard disk for an old system. A Flash drive needs to be formatted as either FAT or FAT32, and if it is larger than 2 GB, it also requires a LVM volume to hold the FAT32 drive (FAT cannot be larger than 2 GB). The easy way to do that is to use DFSEE. There is a menu item to properly set up a flash drive. It is destructive, so save any data that may be on it, somewhere else, before you do it.

I have used a CD too, but I think it needs to be CDFS format, not UDF (especially not UDF that is not the OS/2 version).

Even when I corrected errors, it still won't take it.

Trying to type a registration code is like trying to pick up 5 pounds of loose sand in your hands. You can do it 20 times, and you will make 20 (or more) errors.

'disc 1 reports a corrupt partition table' - I keep getting this message when I try to make a section bootable.

This is pretty typical, when it already has another OS, on a modern computer. Other OSs use a Megabyte based partition table, while eCS only understands cylinder based partition tables. If you get REALLY lucky, they will match, but you are more likely to win a lottery. DFSEE seems to be able to figure it out, for disks smaller than about 512 GB. DFSEE is required for larger disks too, but they need to keep ALL of the eCS volumes below the 512 GB mark. The GOOD part is, that it is only LVM, when doing something that needs to change the partition table, that has the problem.

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2014, 05:58:22 pm »
I believe the flash drive I tried to use was either 4 gb or 8 gb. I will check again.

I will try again with the eCS 2.1 registration code.

I will check out the DFSee program to see if it makes a difference.
http://www.dfsee.com/

Thanks for the information. It is appreciated.  8)
BigGoofyGuy

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
LVM ERROR (8)
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2014, 09:53:25 pm »
I was able to enter the eCS 2.1 code succesfully since I used a 'hunt and peck' instead of touch typing (not easy to do on a smaller keyboard).

When I try to create a volume (standard [bootable] volume) on the drive, it indicates 'operation no allowed', 'LVM ERROR (eight)'. (spellled 8 since it changes the number with ) into a smiley face).
 :(

One partition / drive shows the file system as (type 27)?

I have not tried the DFSee yet.  ::) I will see if I can create a bootable cd or flash drive to use it.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 10:02:13 pm by Tom Lee Mullins »
BigGoofyGuy

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
program error
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2014, 10:09:03 pm »
'PROGRAM ERROR ; DISK 1 REPORTS A CORRUPT PARTITION TABLE'.
This seems to be blocking me from creating an volume on the drive.  :'(
Perhaps a faulty drive?
BigGoofyGuy

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2014, 01:22:22 am »
I'd guess just faulty partition info from the factory. Did you try dfsee?

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2014, 02:15:06 am »
I'd guess just faulty partition info from the factory. Did you try dfsee?

I am looking for a way to see if there is a bootable DFSee that I can use to check it. I will check the DFSee site.  8)
http://www.dfsee.com

I searched online sites for drives for the Acer Aspire One. I found a few.  8)
BigGoofyGuy

dbanet

« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2014, 05:16:01 pm »
You can either download a freedos+dfsee image on the official DFSee site, burn it to a CD or a USB drive, and boot from it, OR you can just put DFSee for OS/2 on a USB drive, boot your PC from eCS installation CD #1, choose Management console (it even does not ask for a serial code), insert the USB drive with dfsee, open a windowed OS/2 session, change to the USB drive, and start DFSee (dfsos2.exe).

Then you can wipe the beginning of your HDD drive, and create your own partitioning, or exit DFSee and let the eCS installer do it.

Cheers.

P. S. If you want a fully-functional OS/2 boot CD/USB, you can join #os2russian on efnet.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 06:16:15 pm by Boris »

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2014, 10:11:06 pm »
I get the 'incompatible' message when it is checking the drive and before I can check the 'management' button.  :(  I believe it is after one check 'I accept' and goes to the next screen and checks the drive. I was hoping to get to the 'management' button but it exits me out before I can.  :'(

Since I might replace the drive, I tried installing FreeDOS onto it. I used the FDISK program to get around the section with the type 32 indication. I was succesfully able to install FreeDOS on it. I will try eCS 2.2 beta again to see if that made a difference.  ::)
http://www.freedos.org
I will check for the bootable FreeDOS with the DFSee on it.  8)
BigGoofyGuy

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2014, 10:18:07 pm »
I was able to install FreeDOS onto it. I used FD to alter the hard drive. It works.

I tried to install eCS 2.2 beta. It saw the drive. It did not mention an error on the disc. I got as far as to format the drive. It indicated it could not format the drive. 'SYS0528; the specified disk did not finish formatting; SYS1311...'. I could not see the rest of the message. The drive was in red letters. I am not sure if this is indicating a problem. The drive shows as FAT32. It is 225153 MB. It has 13319 MB as free space. I think the partition error might be in this part but it could keep it from formatting? It only shows JFS as the format option. I am trying other things.  8)

I get the 'incompatible' message when it is checking the drive and before I can check the 'management' button.    I believe it is after one check 'I accept' and goes to the next screen and checks the drive. I was hoping to get to the 'management' button but it exits me out before I can.
I think this has to do with my Asus X55U instead of my Acer Aspire One (wrong thread).
BigGoofyGuy

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2014, 10:18:13 pm »
I installed FreeDOS and used it to repartition the hard drive. I tried eCS again. I eliminated the partition and was able to make it bootable. eCS formated the drive as JFS. I was able to install eCS 2.2 beta on it. It works really well.  8) I have not used eCS for awhile and am looking forward to using it again.

Now I have to install the network driver. I have to figure out which one it is since it did not detect it and I think I chose the wrong one.  :o  It is minor since I have eCS 2.2 beta installed on it.  ;D

Now to get eCS 2.2 beta on the Asuss X55U.  ::)
BigGoofyGuy

dbanet

« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2014, 12:30:15 am »
Now I have to install the network driver.
To figure out what device is installed on your laptop PC, you may try running Veit's PCI utility with updated VID:PID list on it.

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2014, 10:47:18 pm »
I have downloaded them. Thanks.  8)
BigGoofyGuy

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2014, 10:29:21 pm »
Now I have to install the network driver.
To figure out what device is installed on your laptop PC, you may try running Veit's PCI utility with updated VID:PID list on it.

I downloaded it to a flash drive. It did not see the files on the flash drive. I re-read the part about the flash drive needing LVM. I will check it out.  8)

All the help given is appreciated.  8)
BigGoofyGuy