Author Topic: ClamAVGUI (rexx)  (Read 8910 times)

Remy

• View Profile
ClamAVGUI (rexx)
« on: August 02, 2019, 08:32:34 pm »
Hi,

I put on my site for a few days prior annoncement:
http://remydodin.levillage.org/doc/realisations/downloads/ClamAVGUI-3_6_2_0.wpi

It has several updates, clamav icon is centered and size is screen resolution adapted.
Quick Scan updated to be faster
Widget corrected to well detect outofdate virdatabase
etc...
(To use the run of the desktop widget, rxu.dll needed under os2\dll or clamavgui program path - it enables a messagebox allowing to start clamavgui or non with some icon color description )

A few tests feedback before end of next week would be nice. Thanks
Rémy 

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
Re: ClamAVGUI (rexx)
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 04:26:56 pm »
Thanks, appreciated

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 07:46:37 pm »
It is running fine on my desktop but My Dell Laptop has issues with installing the clamav.rpm   files. It always has had the issue so nothing new there.

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 09:23:53 pm »
By default, I added under clamd config file, the tcp port needed when the tunderbird plugin is installed (inbox mail scan). Without it installed or without thunderbird, you can comment the corresponding lines. 

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2019, 10:30:13 pm »
Installation did go okay. First run some errors. Changed the lines which causes the errors. After that restart. Now a download from viri database. After successful download this database is set into memory. As I have only 1Gb and the database needs much more, it ends up in a real slow non interrupting system. Had to take it down with cad-popup. So, nice frontend, but not usable for smaller systems.

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 01:57:21 am »
Installation did go okay. First run some errors. Changed the lines which causes the errors. After that restart. Now a download from viri database. After successful download this database is set into memory. As I have only 1Gb and the database needs much more, it ends up in a real slow non interrupting system. Had to take it down with cad-popup. So, nice frontend, but not usable for smaller systems.

Yes, 1Gb of storage is not enough due clamAV process which needs fast sig read but it should use your swap file...
I checked storage use and saw that most storage used is in the above shared memory. 1.5Gb of storage seems to be a lower usable value and I suggest those having more storage to tune the maximum value under config.sys (ARCA Noae default seems to be ok - I set value to 2560M to be very safe having above 4GB)     
May be you can have a more responsive system using a SATA SSD (if you have SATAIII) for the swap file but the bad is that it may do a lot of write operations which can lower the lifetime of the SSD. anywhere, most SSD have a lifetime above 100TB write operations...

ex: Kingston UV500 240Gb – jusqu’à 520/500Mb/s and 100Tb write (with 1Gb per day, you'll have many years)

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 02:02:32 am »
It is running fine on my desktop but My Dell Laptop has issues with installing the clamav.rpm   files. It always has had the issue so nothing new there.

Did you set unixroot on your dell Laptop and added x:\usr\bin x:\lib ... into your paths and install clamav.rpm as it is package using unixroot path names ?

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2019, 03:09:50 am »
Yes, 1Gb of storage is not enough due clamAV process which needs fast sig read but it should use your swap file...
Becomes more and more the problem with Linux ware, not optimized code and use of too big programming systems. Result very big executable with dragging no code from one place to another. One of the reasons why I turned my back to Apple.
May be you can have a more responsive system using a SATA SSD (if you have SATAIII)
No, unfortunately the SATA on my system is a pre version, not even version 1. Best way for me at the moment is to try buying different memory modules and the MB can support up to 4Gb, but due to the bridge on the MB limited to a little more then 3Gb, so not the full 4Gb can be addressed. Next try to sit the ride out until Arca Noae 5.1 Dutch will see the light. But only buy more memory for just ClamAV is a little too much in my view, knowing that there are no viri for OS/2 (not entirely true, but the viri have no influence on the system, you only hosting it).

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2019, 01:14:03 pm »
Hi Joop,

There are less OS/2 virs but this doesn't prevent you to send virs into email.   
Clamav with the use of the thunderbird plugin will prevent you from virs

I'm adding an option under my GUI:  "ClamD recycle"
It will kill and restart ClamD (usefull when you are in a long wait or loop like when Clamdscan is selected for vir scan).   

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2019, 06:02:56 pm »
Hi,

Following a suggestion and Joop issue, I updated the build.
New 3.6.2.0 replacing old one put on my server today.
http://remydodin.levillage.org/doc/realisations/downloads/ClamAVGUI-3_6_2_0.wpi

Warpin shows 3.6.2.1 as it should as well under clamavGUI help panel.
note: change Clamd (tcpip for plugin) to get right status if an old one already exist.

Here are latest changes since 3.6.1.5
3.6.2.1 - 2019/08/04
    * Added Clamd recycle option under "File", usefull in case Clamd process goes into a very long scan or loop like (ex: system with 1Gb memory)
    * TCPIP is now disabled by default under Clamd config file
    * Added "Clamd (tcpip for plugin)" to enable/disable ClamD TCPIP into config file (TCPIP is required when ClamAV thunderbird plugin is installed). After change, config file is edited to check all is well done.
3.6.2.0 - 2019/07/30
    * corrected virscan ico design and position according screensize
    * code rewrite for rare not clamdscan pid detection (resulting into incorect scan stop + message)
    * dll optimized (smaller bmp dll)
    * QuickScan code optimized (removed duplicate scan and limited to filetype under some directories) and clamdscan confile updated
    * added wait time until daemon is started when using clamdscan with quickscan without clamd loaded
    * Corrected not always outofdate vir database detected by widget (cdwatch)
    * desktop widget updated to correctly detect rxu.dll (not only under ..\OS2\dll)

« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 08:47:21 pm by Remy »

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2019, 10:10:32 pm »
Hi Remy,
There are less OS/2 virs but this doesn't prevent you to send virs into email.   
Clamav with the use of the thunderbird plugin will prevent you from virs
I use the service of my provider with checking on mail in and out for viri and other unwanted stuff. So every mail I sent is checked and every mail incoming is also checked. Its part of the package I have with them together as host for my website. So I don't have problems there.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2019, 12:12:42 am »
Best way for me at the moment is to try buying different memory modules and the MB can support up to 4Gb, but due to the bridge on the MB limited to a little more then 3Gb, so not the full 4Gb can be addressed. Next try to sit the ride out until Arca Noae 5.1 Dutch will see the light. But only buy more memory for just ClamAV is a little too much in my view, knowing that there are no viri for OS/2 (not entirely true, but the viri have no influence on the system, you only hosting it).

1 GB is getting generally tight for a lot of ports now. Note that all MB's and 32 bit OSes don't allow accessing the full 4 GB's as some is set aside for PCI cards, video memory and such. The good news is that ArcaOS lets you use the leftover memory as a ramdisk, likewise with any memory above 4GBs. Here I have a 768KB ram disk with 4 GB's installed in my machine.

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2019, 09:48:28 am »
Best way for me at the moment is to try buying different memory modules and the MB can support up to 4Gb, but due to the bridge on the MB limited to a little more then 3Gb, so not the full 4Gb can be addressed. Next try to sit the ride out until Arca Noae 5.1 Dutch will see the light. But only buy more memory for just ClamAV is a little too much in my view, knowing that there are no viri for OS/2 (not entirely true, but the viri have no influence on the system, you only hosting it).

1 GB is getting generally tight for a lot of ports now. Note that all MB's and 32 bit OSes don't allow accessing the full 4 GB's as some is set aside for PCI cards, video memory and such. The good news is that ArcaOS lets you use the leftover memory as a ramdisk, likewise with any memory above 4GBs. Here I have a 768KB ram disk with 4 GB's installed in my machine.

I have 16Gb, 4GB for ArcaOS and 12GB as ramdisk  ;)

xynixme

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2019, 08:10:04 pm »
Best way for me at the moment is to try buying different memory modules and the MB can support up to 4Gb, but due to the bridge on the MB limited to a little more then 3Gb, so not the full 4Gb can be addressed.

2 GiB of physical RAM should be more than enough, isn't it? Unless you are working with large data files.

Even with 1 GiB or less a small RAM partition may be worth considering. For example when rare activities, like a ZIP file password guesser, tend to destroy an older eCS 1.x harddisk as if Microsoft is scanning your drives again. If anything the silence can be enjoyed.

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2019, 03:31:19 pm »
For your information:

ClamAV WG (CLDWATCH.EXE) uses following parms:

ClamAVGUI_path beep(on/off) cdbasepath maxold gatewaytrack(IJFW)
e.g. beepon > do beep in case of status change
e.g. maxold=1 = 1 day
e.g. gatewaytrack=1 -> IJFW installed

CLDWATCH.EXE and CLAMW.EXE work together.
CLAMW.EXE can be used used without CLDWATCH but it needs to be drived by an other status detection tool.

FYI: AVxCAT was updated too this month
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 08:42:22 pm by Remy »