Author Topic: XWP v1.0.13 Beta 1  (Read 22367 times)

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
XWP v1.0.13 Beta 1
« on: August 04, 2019, 11:31:23 pm »

The first beta for XWP v1.0.13 is available for testing.

New Features
  • XShutdown now provides a live Reboot List taken from your AirBoot/BootManager's menu. It is always up to date and requires no configuration (IBM BM support requires LVM). XShutdown's page in the Desktop's notebook has also been updated.
  • The Pulse widget now offers two types of graph: the standard line graph, and a new color-coded moving bar graph that shows average load across all cores. Other improvements include a faster line graph and fixed-position display text that shows when a core is offline.
  • An ACPI-based CPU Temperature widget has been added to XCenter, courtesy of David Azarewicz.
Updates and Bugfixes
  • NLS - Lite versions will use the "LANG" environment variable to determine which NLS version to load; the behavior of XWP-Full is unchanged. Language settings for all versions can be overridden by putting this in config.sys: "SET XWP_LANG=xxx" - where xxx is a 3-digit country code that XWP supports (e.g. 039)
  • XCenter - 'Create new widget' has been added to all XCenter menus
  • Install/Remove - after uninstalling XWP, the "System" object will be recreated in System Setup the next time the Desktop restarts
  • See XWP Help's "Version history" topic for additional update details.
Downloads
This beta is available in both Full and Lite versions for German, English, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, and Dutch.

XWP-FullXWP-Lite
German:fulllite
English:fulllite
Spanish:fulllite
Italian:fulllite
Japanese:fulllite
Dutch:fulllite

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
Re: XWP v1.0.13 Beta 1
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 02:01:07 am »
I gave this girl a  whirl and she  is  so far so good right now.

Mike Kölling

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 10:42:11 am »
Looks good on my German eCS2.1  :).
I like the new CPU-temperatur widget better than the one from NeoWPS I was using before.
Mike
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 01:40:56 pm by Mike Kölling »

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 04:17:09 pm »
Fantastic!!

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 07:45:46 pm »
Hi Rich, it is working fine here for the moment.

Thanks for the full version, I got used to the "Pack this tree" and I use the "WPS Class List" also.

It is not a bug. About "WPS Class List", where can I suggest some text for some undocumented classes?
Like "CWBubblepad": "This is a replacement class for LaunchPad included in the Bubblepad package. Reduces the size of the original launchpad. The drawers may be hidden and every action button may be independently removed. "

Regards
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 07:52:55 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 01:37:56 am »
I can definitely tell this is the most stable release yet.  Thanks Rich.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 07:21:44 am »
Hi Rich, it is working fine here for the moment.

Thanks for the full version, I got used to the "Pack this tree" and I use the "WPS Class List" also.

It is not a bug. About "WPS Class List", where can I suggest some text for some undocumented classes?
Like "CWBubblepad": "This is a replacement class for LaunchPad included in the Bubblepad package. Reduces the size of the original launchpad. The drawers may be hidden and every action button may be independently removed. "

Regards

\tools\wps\xworkplace\help\xfclsXXX.txt where "XXX" is your language code.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2019, 07:33:31 am »
It also works here.
I do like the automatic setup of the reboot menu but would it be possible to remove/avoid the entries for USB sticks/HDDs (that had been plugged in on system start) and only keep those for fixed disks ?

Rich Walsh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2019, 01:59:32 pm »
would it be possible to remove/avoid the entries for USB sticks/HDDs (that had been plugged in on system start) and only keep those for fixed disks ?

AirBoot doesn't know how a drive is attached, so nothing in its menu would enable USB drives to be filtered. XShutdown is in no position to do any filtering because it fetches the list immediately before showing the Shutdown dialog. If it takes more than 3 seconds to get the list, it abandons the effort and doesn't show any list. There just isn't time to probe multiple partitions to handle an edge case like this.

OS4User

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2019, 03:40:25 pm »
So far it works ok, but graph in CPU pulse a little bit out of screen.

Is it possible to read Virtual Address Limit from DosQuerySysInfo but not from config.sys ?

xynixme

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2019, 08:12:13 pm »
XShutdown is in no position to do any filtering because it fetches the list immediately before showing the Shutdown dialog. If it takes more than 3 seconds to get the list, it abandons the effort and doesn't show any list. There just isn't time to probe multiple partitions to handle an edge case like this.
Without really knowing what I'm talking about: if you want to identify qualifying USB drives, then it may be possible to let an user enter an identification substring, which may be as unique as a full label of a drive:

Code: [Select]
/* FindDrvs.CMD */
ARG settings
IF settings='' THEN DO
   SAY
   SAY 'Usage: FindDrvs.CMD [label_substring [label_substring]]'
   EXIT
END

CALL Time 'R'

CALL RxFuncAdd 'SysDriveInfo','RexxUtil','SysDriveInfo'
CALL RxFuncAdd 'SysDriveMap','RexxUtil','SysDriveMap'

drives=SysDriveMap('C:')

DO i=1 TO Words(drives)
   PARSE VALUE SysDriveInfo(Word(drives,i)) WITH drive . . label
   positive=0
   DO j=1 TO Words(settings)
      IF Pos(Word(settings,j),label,1)>0 THEN positive=j
   END
   IF positive>0 THEN SAY 'Drive' drive||"'s label" Strip(label) 'contains the substring' Word(settings,positive)||'.'
END i

SAY
SAY 'Time elapsed:' Time('E')

EXIT

Output sample, interpreted Rexx and significantly faster than 3 seconds:

Code: [Select]
[C:]\finddrvs.cmd

Usage: FindDrvs.CMD [label_substring [label_substring]]

[C:\]finddrvs usb11 usb12

Drive F:'s label USB11208GB contains the substring USB11.
Time elapsed: 0.010000

With a slow drive A: the elapsed time is 1.69 seconds, so slow drives may exceed a time limit of 3 seconds. A second setting could exclude or include drives, so a slow NetDrive FTP session could be avoided that way. Of course the user has to manage drives and labels of volumes, and customized settings will be involved.

Heikki Kekki

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2019, 07:21:43 pm »
More than a little bit, over 50% pulse graph does'nt show at all.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 07:30:22 pm by Heikki Kekki »

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • ComKal Networks Australia
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2019, 05:59:47 am »
It also tracks a lot faster which seeks attention from ones eyeballs, the older and slower one you only looked at when you wished to.

Overall though, XWP v1.0.13 Beta 1 seems more solid after running since its release.
I still have a problem with cmd file icons vanishing from the Tray but I suspect it is likely to be none XWP related as cmd icon's change of there own volition sometimes - something I've not looked at as it's been happening for years and below my threshold of looking into :)
Cheers
Ian B Manners

Rich Walsh

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2019, 07:04:38 pm »

The widget relies on XCenter to give it the dimensions of its window - and sometimes XCenter gets it wrong. If that's the case here, then you can easily fix this.

First, expand the width of the widget; the graph will redraw itself. Wait a moment, then restore it to your desired size; again, the graph will be redrawn. Does this fix the problem? If not, try increasing the height of XCenter. Let it reformat itself, then restore the original height.

One or the other of these resizing actions should cause the graph to be drawn correctly. If not, please let me know.

It also tracks a lot faster which seeks attention from ones eyeballs, the older and slower one you only looked at when you wished to.

The speed has been doubled from 1 sample per second to 2 samples per second. The slower speed hid a lot of the sub-second variations and gave some users the impression that it was grossly inaccurate. In fact, it was accurate but failed to provide any real-time indication of activity.

Personally, I consider the line graph to be totally worthless if you have more than 2 cores. It just devolves into a meaningless jumble of lines that tell you nothing about actual usage - particularly when running FF or SM. The new bar graph provides a far more coherent view of overall usage. If a mozapp has a core pegged, the bar graph tells you about it without letting that excess activity take over the entire display.

I still have a problem with cmd file icons vanishing from the Tray but I suspect it is likely to be none XWP related as cmd icon's change of there own volition sometimes

This is a fundamental flaw in PM that occurs when the WPS restarts. PM mistakenly thinks that the WPS is using is a copy of the system's VIO icon, so it destroys that copy when the WPS terminates. In fact, the WPS is using the original icon; destroying it leaves the system with no VIO icon at all.

There are two possible outcomes here. One possibility is that windowed text-mode apps (such as cmd.exe) have no icon at all. The other is that PM reuses the memory for some other icon, giving cmd.exe and friends a completely unrelated icon. What I see most often is a printer or printer-port icon.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2019, 07:33:16 pm »
The speed has been doubled from 1 sample per second to 2 samples per second.
I've thought that it was 1 sample per two seconds before. I prefer the old rate, but I can live with the new one.

Personally, I consider the line graph to be totally worthless if you have more than 2 cores. It just devolves into a meaningless jumble of lines that tell you nothing about actual usage - particularly when running FF or SM.
Here I have only one core and the graph matches the screen shot and the reports above. The graph's amplitude is by a factor of 2 too large.

The new bar graph provides a far more coherent view of overall usage.
Apparently you mean the new average load graph. Yes, I like it, but haven't decided which one to use in the future.