OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - General > Polls

ArcaOS Youtube Channel - Suggestions, Advice, Critics welcome!

<< < (3/5) > >>

Neil Waldhauer:
On the T450s, sound is possible with Uniaud.sys using /A:1
All 8 GB is recognized but only 3.3 GB is available for programs and the rest must be a RAM disk.
LAN to WAN is really pretty nice. I'm using VIX mini, which runs DDWRT.
DOS full screen works, and Alt-Home changes it to a DOS window.

Lack of USB 3 support is delaying my use of a newer laptop.
Uniaud can play through headphone jack, but not on internal speakers.

I think the lack of BIOS in new PC is going to be a problem starting early 2020.

Sigurd Fastenrath:

--- Quote from: Neil Waldhauer on September 03, 2019, 04:00:49 am ---On the T450s, sound is possible with Uniaud.sys using /A:1
All 8 GB is recognized but only 3.3 GB is available for programs and the rest must be a RAM disk.
LAN to WAN is really pretty nice. I'm using VIX mini, which runs DDWRT.
DOS full screen works, and Alt-Home changes it to a DOS window.

Lack of USB 3 support is delaying my use of a newer laptop.
Uniaud can play through headphone jack, but not on internal speakers.

I think the lack of BIOS in new PC is going to be a problem starting early 2020.

--- End quote ---

Hi, yes - you are doing a really well job!!!

I did use the T450s in early 2016 with eCS - please look here: https://www.os2.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=897&p=5800&hilit=T450s#p5800 and it worked for me pretty good as well. While the Network Card Driver Problem was pretty soon solved thanks to ARcaNoae with a new driver, the Sound Problem was a show stopper. My model did have an internal additional Nvidia graphics card and that worked as well, even though it flickered for two or three times during booting.
That there are "only" 3.3 GB visibile is (I guess) because of the reserved memory of the internal Intel graphic. Did you play around with the RAM you can adjust for the internal graphic in the BIOS and check if it has an effect on the usable RAM? I can not remember if I did so.

Unfortunately on the X250 DOS Fullscreen does start and shows the prompt, but you can not enter something. Switching with Alt+HOme shows the DOS Window but with the same result - no input possible. The "usual" problem with this, changing or adding lines in config.sys / autoexec.bat do not change this.

On the other hand it is such a pitty - with a working Sound driver and a solved RAM and DOS Problem one could really recommend the X250 as a nice and fast running ArcaOS device...

Dave Yeo:
Seems that 2.4GB of ram is fine for OS/2, it's pretty hard to use more anyways and the ramdisk is a positive. The other problems are show stoppers though.

xynixme:

--- Quote from: Neil Waldhauer on September 03, 2019, 04:00:49 am ---On the T450s, sound is possible with Uniaud.sys using /A:1
--- End quote ---

Certainly good enough for the tips & tricks section, but perhaps not for a promotional video. Having to edit CONFIG.SYS and hope some hardware starts working, with several restrictions and reqiurements, will confirm memories of the 90s. In that case it may even be better to buy (use) specific old hardware and pretend it's a cheap solution. The general public will expect that "everything" works, including the sound of their rediscovered DOS game. If that game is mute, then DOSBox (for Windows) may be a better choice. We can explain that 2.4 GiB of RAM is enough for everybody and everything, but then you can expect a "creative" Bill Gates' 640 KiB online comment quite soon. Collecting comments of the 90s won't be goals of such a honest video, which may be too late by now. Hopefully not.

Sigurd Fastenrath:
I am wondering, I just took a look again at Bug report 1193 in Bugtracker, and on August 20th 2019 David added a file called vio-1.0.wpi and now:

- DOS Fullscreen
- WINOS2 Fullscreen
- WINOS2 windowed

are working on the X250, even in SMP Mode!!

It took some seconds more during booting, but it works!

Wonder, why this is not mentioned elsewhere!! Great!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version