Author Topic: ArcaOS Youtube Channel - Suggestions, Advice, Critics welcome!  (Read 23698 times)

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
As said elsewhere I plan to start the ArcaOS Youtubechannel by the end of this month. I already grabbed the name ArcaOS for it.

I am already in contact with ArcaNoae LLC to coordinate with them and to avoid legal issues right from the beginning.

It will be no official ArcaNoae LLC channel, it will be a "Made by User for User" channel.

Each and any critic/information/advice is welcome!!

My intention or plan is like this:

- there will be several videos with allways one topic

- each video will be a maximum of 5 Minutes

- no spoken comment, "only text" - english (maybe in german as well)

I will start like this:

001 - What is ArcaOS in 5 Minutes

002 - BIOS Requirements

003 - Hardware Requirements

004 - How to build the USB Installation Stick media

Each video will have a number at the beginning of the descriptions and a hint, wich version of ArcaOS is used (will be 5.04 so far). So in the future I may replace those videos with newer ArcaOS versions.

I would like to upload the first videos already in August, so this month.

This is and will be allways "work in progress", so your ideas, critics and so on are allways welcome!

Once there is more progress I will give an information here in this thread as well.

Thanks for your attention!

« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 08:55:54 am by Sigurd Fastenrath »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: ArcaOS Youtube Channel - Suggetions, Advice, Critics welcome!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 08:42:07 am »
Sounds interesting. Go for it.

Mathias

• using ArcaOS
    • View Profile
    • IRC
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 08:51:53 am »
Excellent idea! - For starters, you could go with topics from [the ArcaNoae Wiki]. Not sure though, if each of them can be handled in under 5 minutes.. ; ) - But still, these will be very helpful videos to link in the forums, or even in the ArcaNoae Wiki itself.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 09:47:40 pm »
Hi Sigurd.

I also think it is a great idea. Please let me know when you post the videos and see if we can also push some views on social media with the OS2World account.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
Re: ArcaOS Youtube Channel - Suggestions, Advice, Critics welcome!
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 12:05:42 pm »
Thanks for the support!

Some more information here:

I ordered a used Thinkpad X250 wich I will use in most cases, and in my opinion will fit best for this as it is quite actual hardware (2015) that is still available and of good quality. The X250 will arrive next week and then I will begin to start. The X250 is very similar to the T450s I had some years ago, that worked quite will with ARcaOS (see Blondeguys Hardware offer as well http://www.blondeguy.com/computer/phenobopeep.html), and Mike Kölling thankfully provided already a lot of information about his X250 here and at os2.org.

I am still looking for good and license free background music and try to build a short trailer used be each video first.

In addition I already fixed the way I want to organize the videos:

0000 - 0099 ArcaOS Inside & Virtual
including requirements, BIOS, Installationmedia, ArcaOS inside Virtualbox, VM Ware, Virtual PC...

0100 - 0400 ArcaOS Hardware & Drivers
including test on different Hardware (like the X200T, the TP25, the X250, Sony Vaio Pro 13....), compatible Hardware at all etc., Drivers

0500 - 0900 ArcaOS Application Software
including Softwaretest, Reviews, Games and so on

Stay tuned :-)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 12:43:13 pm by Sigurd Fastenrath »

Mathias

• using ArcaOS
    • View Profile
    • IRC
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 04:47:33 pm »
Hmm.. have you tried the Wiki Commons [Music database] already? [What is that? (DE)] [Categories]

Tuure Linden

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 04:35:40 pm »
Good luck with the channel! ArcaOS videos really are welcome because there are only a few and only one good review (by Bryan Lunduke and that's done in a virtual machine). I even considered making a video myself but now it seems that I don't have to bother.

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2019, 09:41:12 pm »
It is on it's way... some things to doublecheck though. Guess it will start before our User Meeting in Cologne on November 30th.

xynixme

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 02:16:16 am »
Cheesy, but TOP 10'ish click bait (TOP 10 classic DOS games, TOP 10 best apps, TOP 10 productive tips & tricks, TOP 10 Windows 3.xx apps, ...).

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2019, 11:48:38 pm »
This idea or project is cancelled so far. The reason is that I can not find any hardware less than 7 years old (i.e. Thinkpad Series 220) where at least Sound is working. I did choose the X250 Thinkpad first, but there are so many shortcomings now, that it does not make sence.
No Sound
No WLAN
Only 2.4 GB RAM recognized
No USB 3
No DOS nor WINOS2
Yes, I did know from the beginning that there are some shortcommings, but without even Sound and the Memory problem it is simply to much.
Yes, one could use an USB Audio Adapter, a LAN to WLAN Adapter, but still...
So there is no way to show the Slogan on the ArcaNoae Hompage "supporting a wide range of modern hardware". Unfortunately.

So, if someone else would like to step in and open an ArcaOS Youtube Channel - go ahead!

I have another Video in mind though, showing Warp 3 on the Thinkpad 25. It was in October 1994 when Warp 3 sow the light of the day... :-)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 11:52:02 pm by Sigurd Fastenrath »

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
Re: Cancelled: ArcaOS Youtube Channel - Suggestions, Advice, Critics welcome!
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2019, 04:00:49 am »
On the T450s, sound is possible with Uniaud.sys using /A:1
All 8 GB is recognized but only 3.3 GB is available for programs and the rest must be a RAM disk.
LAN to WAN is really pretty nice. I'm using VIX mini, which runs DDWRT.
DOS full screen works, and Alt-Home changes it to a DOS window.

Lack of USB 3 support is delaying my use of a newer laptop.
Uniaud can play through headphone jack, but not on internal speakers.

I think the lack of BIOS in new PC is going to be a problem starting early 2020.

Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2019, 08:28:26 am »
All 8 GB is recognized but only 3.3 GB is available for programs and the rest must be a RAM disk.
LAN to WAN is really pretty nice. I'm using VIX mini, which runs DDWRT.
DOS full screen works, and Alt-Home changes it to a DOS window.

Lack of USB 3 support is delaying my use of a newer laptop.
Uniaud can play through headphone jack, but not on internal speakers.

I think the lack of BIOS in new PC is going to be a problem starting early 2020.

Hi, yes - you are doing a really well job!!!

I did use the T450s in early 2016 with eCS - please look here: https://www.os2.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=897&p=5800&hilit=T450s#p5800 and it worked for me pretty good as well. While the Network Card Driver Problem was pretty soon solved thanks to ARcaNoae with a new driver, the Sound Problem was a show stopper. My model did have an internal additional Nvidia graphics card and that worked as well, even though it flickered for two or three times during booting.
That there are "only" 3.3 GB visibile is (I guess) because of the reserved memory of the internal Intel graphic. Did you play around with the RAM you can adjust for the internal graphic in the BIOS and check if it has an effect on the usable RAM? I can not remember if I did so.

Unfortunately on the X250 DOS Fullscreen does start and shows the prompt, but you can not enter something. Switching with Alt+HOme shows the DOS Window but with the same result - no input possible. The "usual" problem with this, changing or adding lines in config.sys / autoexec.bat do not change this.

On the other hand it is such a pitty - with a working Sound driver and a solved RAM and DOS Problem one could really recommend the X250 as a nice and fast running ArcaOS device...

« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 08:35:31 am by Sigurd Fastenrath »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2019, 08:54:50 am »
Seems that 2.4GB of ram is fine for OS/2, it's pretty hard to use more anyways and the ramdisk is a positive. The other problems are show stoppers though.

xynixme

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2019, 10:59:58 am »

Certainly good enough for the tips & tricks section, but perhaps not for a promotional video. Having to edit CONFIG.SYS and hope some hardware starts working, with several restrictions and reqiurements, will confirm memories of the 90s. In that case it may even be better to buy (use) specific old hardware and pretend it's a cheap solution. The general public will expect that "everything" works, including the sound of their rediscovered DOS game. If that game is mute, then DOSBox (for Windows) may be a better choice. We can explain that 2.4 GiB of RAM is enough for everybody and everything, but then you can expect a "creative" Bill Gates' 640 KiB online comment quite soon. Collecting comments of the 90s won't be goals of such a honest video, which may be too late by now. Hopefully not.

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2019, 01:43:49 pm »
I am wondering, I just took a look again at Bug report 1193 in Bugtracker, and on August 20th 2019 David added a file called vio-1.0.wpi and now:

- DOS Fullscreen
- WINOS2 Fullscreen
- WINOS2 windowed

are working on the X250, even in SMP Mode!!

It took some seconds more during booting, but it works!

Wonder, why this is not mentioned elsewhere!! Great!!