Author Topic: vlc 2.1.0 won't start  (Read 8227 times)

Joop

• View Profile
vlc 2.1.0 won't start
« on: October 12, 2013, 04:05:23 pm »
Downloaded the new VLC and read the readme. As far as I can read this is not different than version 2.0.7 which runs fine on my system. For first run I just overwrite the old usr directory as I did before. But with this action and no changes in structure or file the program won't start. After that I checked my menu item but the directory and file are the same. I deleted usr directory and repeated the steps with version 2.0.7 and that one just starts and runs fine.  So what's wrong?

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
Re: vlc 2.1.0 won't start
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 05:38:15 pm »
It did the same for me. So I deleted it and copied it from the zipfile freash and it is now working.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 05:54:51 pm »
Sorry Joop but it works here for me on 6 computers with varying processors and video cards.

The only thing is I strip out all the intermediate directory tree since I don't have a usr dir, so no usr\local and I start it with a cmd file, just as I have all the other versions.

The bin, include, lib and share directories are under vlc-210 - on drive I on my test machine.  I then use the following cmd file:

i:
set beginlibpath=i:\vlc-210\lib;
cd vlc-210\bin
vlc
exit

As an aside, this is version plays the mp4 hd files I have without the cutoff on the side that the older versions had.

Ben

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 08:18:03 pm »
I had that problem once as well... more than once, but with different problems.

Eugene's solution was one of mine.

The other solution, (when the above didn't work), was to track down vlc*.dlls that were somewhere else... most likely on your path.

When I found them I deleted them, and with them went the problem! 8)

I hope that helps you.

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 10:35:14 pm »
Delete the vlc folder under usr\local\lib and then unzip the application again.  I had a similar problem and it turned out to be that there were DLLs that were in the plugin directory that was not replaced.