OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Setup & Installation

RAM disk does not work anymore

(1/2) > >>

Martin Vieregg:
ArcaOS RAM disk does not work anymore. A hardware problem is possible, I had two other programs which does not run anymore (and I could fix it by re-copying the content of C). Four files are used:

c:\os2ldr.cfg (hidden)
file content:
RAMDISK = HPFS PERSIST *:
RAMDISKNAME = Z

c:\os2\boot\HD4DISK.ADD
c:\os2\boot\MEMDISK.ADD

Then there's a setup program with user interface:
C:\sys\bin\HIDISK.EXE

Any ideas what is also needed ? How can I find out why it fails?

Martin Vieregg:
I have realized that the RAM disk is working, but there's a wrong drive letter. os2ldr.cfg holds:
RAMDISK = HPFS PERSIST Z:
RAMDISKNAME = Ramdisk Z

Drive Z seems to be occupied. Any ideas? Drive Y works.

David Graser:

--- Quote from: Martin Vieregg on August 07, 2019, 09:26:53 am ---I have realized that the RAM disk is working, but there's a wrong drive letter. os2ldr.cfg holds:
RAMDISK = HPFS PERSIST Z:
RAMDISKNAME = Ramdisk Z

Drive Z seems to be occupied. Any ideas? Drive Y works.

--- End quote ---

Did you go into System Setup and select RAMDISK and assign it a drive letter?  You set up the RAMDISk with the RAMDISK icon

Doug Bissett:

--- Quote ---c:\os2\boot\MEMDISK.ADD
--- End quote ---

Why do you have this? MEMDISK is a completely different RAMDISK, normally only used for running the installer (and it uses drive Z:).

--- Quote ---Drive Z seems to be occupied. Any ideas? Drive Y works.
--- End quote ---

Probably because MEMDISK took drive Z:. Z: is not a good drive letter to use for anything, but it should work. Take MEMDISK out of CONFIG.SYS.

Martin Vieregg:
Now it works again, I did not understand why. MEMDISK is not part of my Config.sys, this was a failure in the post. Of course I selected the drive letter in the setup program.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version