Author Topic: The new browser / QT5  (Read 71538 times)

guzzi

• View Profile
The new browser / QT5
« on: August 07, 2019, 09:50:17 pm »
It looks like a beta release of QT5 is imminent. Days rather then weeks away (my assessment, https://github.com/bitwiseworks/qtbase-os2/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+sort%3Aupdated-desc). Pretty much on schedule. Once the retail version is complete work on the browser proper can start. A lot of people have sponsored this project, either directly to BWW or through VOICE. Please, keep sponsoring. Beside the browser a lot of other application will become available in more recent versions with this port of QT5. i.e. qBittorrent. I think Tellie is already waiting impatiently to start porting newer QT apps to our platform). A little bird whispered in my ear that the Falcon browser  might be available as early as November.

Sponsoring: http://www.os2voice.org/membership.html#bww
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 11:41:18 pm by guzzi »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: The new browser / QT5
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 10:58:25 pm »
Don't forget the Bitwiseworks link to donate;D

Or you can also use Paetron to donate monthly.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 11:15:49 pm »
Maybe I missed something but what browser is this and will it use addons like noscript and adblock plus?

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 11:42:51 pm »

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 04:29:59 am »
It looks like a beta release of QT5 is imminent. Days rather then weeks away (my assessment, https://github.com/bitwiseworks/qtbase-os2/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+sort%3Aupdated-desc). Pretty much on schedule. Once the retail version is complete work on the browser proper can start. A lot of people have sponsored this project, either directly to BWW or through VOICE. Please, keep sponsoring. Beside the browser a lot of other application will become available in more recent versions with this port of QT5. i.e. qBittorrent. I think Tellie is already waiting impatiently to start porting newer QT apps to our platform). A little bird whispered in my ear that the Falcon browser  might be available as early as November.

Sponsoring: http://www.os2voice.org/membership.html#bww

I made a 80x80 PNG icon and an OS/2 256 color icon.

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 12:30:59 pm »
Maybe I missed something but what browser is this and will it use addons like noscript and adblock plus?

The Firefox addons will not work with the Falcon browser. As I explained already is that the Falcon browser is one of the browsers we can port with the new QT libraries. 80 to 90% of the code the QT based browser use is in the QT framework.

I installed Facon for now on Windows box to see what it is like, screenshot of the extensions:
https://www.dedoimedo.com/images/computers-years/2018-1/falkon-extensions.png
They have an adblock extension.

Firefox/Seamonkey based browsers are effectively running at the end of the railwayline on OS/2.
We do not have the RUST compiler on OS/2 and it seems the kernel does not provide enough virtual adress space to run the compiler on OS/2. Also Firefox has been a nightmare to keep the ports up to date by BWW. (To many changes).

https://html5test.com/
Firefox 45 on OS/2 gets 400 out of 555 points scored.

Falcon gets 525 out of the 555 points.

Expected beta of Falcon in October or November of this year.

Roderick Klein
President OS/2 VOICE

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 12:47:57 am »
Thank you for the update Roderick.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 01:35:38 am »

The Firefox addons will not work with the Falcon browser. As I explained already is that the Falcon browser is one of the browsers we can port with the new QT libraries. 80 to 90% of the code the QT based browser use is in the QT framework.

I would have thought the newer web extensions that Firefox, Chrome etc support would work for most QT browsers.
I installed Facon for now on Windows box to see what it is like, screenshot of the extensions:
https://www.dedoimedo.com/images/computers-years/2018-1/falkon-extensions.png
They have an adblock extension.

Firefox/Seamonkey based browsers are effectively running at the end of the railwayline on OS/2.
We do not have the RUST compiler on OS/2 and it seems the kernel does not provide enough virtual adress space to run the compiler on OS/2. Also Firefox has been a nightmare to keep the ports up to date by BWW. (To many changes).

https://html5test.com/
Firefox 45 on OS/2 gets 400 out of 555 points scored.

Falcon gets 525 out of the 555 points.

A lot of those failures will also happen on Falcon for OS/2. Things that depend on OS support are most of the failures. Luckily some important ones should work, better scripting support hopefully, same with web applications and web components.
Expected beta of Falcon in October or November of this year.

Roderick Klein
President OS/2 VOICE

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2019, 08:27:11 am »
This iseems to be the falkon web browser, previously known as Qupzilla, that Roderick is talking about, not falcon. Seems to be a KDE browser so I wonder if Bitwise is planning on porting part of KDE or if it'll run with just QT. Have to test.

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2019, 02:36:11 pm »
This iseems to be the falkon web browser, previously known as Qupzilla, that Roderick is talking about, not falcon. Seems to be a KDE browser so I wonder if Bitwise is planning on porting part of KDE or if it'll run with just QT. Have to test.
If the Windows port is anything to go by it just needs QT, but similarly to Chromium based browsers the built in adblocker slows it down considerably.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2019, 10:05:26 pm »
They not only need a fast configurable ad blocker but a javascript blocker is a necessity considering the number of exploits that are delivered through javascript.  Without those two it is going to be almost useless (I would not let it near anything like internet banking and other sensitive sites).

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2019, 04:35:10 pm »
They not only need a fast configurable ad blocker but a javascript blocker is a necessity considering the number of exploits that are delivered through javascript.  Without those two it is going to be almost useless (I would not let it near anything like internet banking and other sensitive sites).

The entirely sandboxed Javascript environment is a viable exploit delivery mechanism how?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2019, 05:30:59 pm »

The entirely sandboxed Javascript environment is a viable exploit delivery mechanism how?

Denial of service by overwhelming the CPU and/or memory. Just having to run an ad blocker will be hard on people with older systems.
Sandboxes have been known to leak as well.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2019, 09:33:31 pm »
Made some different Falcon icons.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2019, 06:19:27 am »
Made some different Falcon icons.

Look good and similar to the Linux icon. One nit, it should be Falkon icons to differentiate from the unsupported falcon browser.