Author Topic: The new browser / QT5  (Read 71646 times)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: The new browser / QT5
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2020, 12:07:24 am »
The other thing that catch my eye are the javascript frameworks that young people are using today to produce multiplatform applications like node.js and others. I would like to have more time to evaluate and understand that frameworks.

I think with the new browser, support for node.js should follow.
As for QT6, as long as the QT people keep updating QT5, we should be fine but eventually they will stop, probably about the time that QT7 work starts :)

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2020, 01:40:10 am »
The root of all evil, but we need more of it.....

We are a bit behind schedule, but work on the QT browser is progressing steadily. It's very near completion but it is at this moment it is hard to fix a date. There are still a number of build breaks to address. Basically, to get everything to compile fixes are needed. A fix might solve one build break, or 35. That makes it hard to guesstimate exactly where we are. One thing is sure, we are very close. To finish, we still need more funding. I know, especially now, people may be having a hard time. For those of you who still have a few bob to spend, please consider donating to the browser development. I will transfer yet another 200 euro, bugger the retirement fund). We are so close, draw your wallets, let's get it to the finishline!

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2020, 10:07:32 pm »
The other thing that catch my eye are the javascript frameworks that young people are using today to produce multiplatform applications like node.js and others. I would like to have more time to evaluate and understand that frameworks.

I think with the new browser, support for node.js should follow.
As for QT6, as long as the QT people keep updating QT5, we should be fine but eventually they will stop, probably about the time that QT7 work starts :)
Hi

Since some node.js application were running on Firefox 45 OS/2,  I was wondering if something can be reused from that (or from the new browser port) to be able to run node.js apps as stand alone applications.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2020, 11:44:06 pm »
Hi

Since some node.js application were running on Firefox 45 OS/2,  I was wondering if something can be reused from that (or from the new browser port) to be able to run node.js apps as stand alone applications.

Regards

Probably, the Firefox build process spits this out if you want to experiment. Good chance something similar may be generated building the new browser.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2020, 11:54:21 pm »
Dave, did you compiled that js.exe.

It worked for me with some base .js samples, it was interesting.
Like:
Code: [Select]
function add(a, b) {
return a+b
}
console.log(add(4, 6))

I don't know if I can get other samples (possible with GUI) to see if it works.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2020, 05:34:20 am »
Hi Martin, it gets built during the Firefox etc build process. I think its main purpose is for testing. I don't think it does any GUI stuff but is handy for testing functions and such as you found. Beside it is js-gdb.py for running it in the GDB debugger.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2020, 12:02:03 pm »
And here am I being very concerned that this browser doesn't have anything like No Script available for use which makes it almost useless for ant real work.

I have it on one of my Linux boxes and am not very impressed with it.  Sorry.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2020, 06:41:17 pm »
Hi

I understand that RUST will take a long time to be ported to OS/2, and I was reluctant to let go Firefox under OS/2 since it was a solid open community... but I'm changing my mind.

Today this news shows up on Slashdot: "Firefox Usage is Down 85% Despite Mozilla's Top Exec Pay Going Up 400%"

We may have different opinions and "creative differences", but I think the real actions these days should be to support Bitwise works to complete the Qt 5 QtWebengine browser port.

Regards
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 02:06:52 am by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2020, 10:11:38 pm »
Yes, Mozilla seems to have totally lost their way. Hopefully the new browser works out.

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2020, 12:13:17 am »
Hi

I understand that RUST will take a long time to be ported to OS/2, and I was reluctant to let go Firefox under OS/2 since it was a solid open community... but I'm changing my mind.

Today this news shows up on Slashdot: "Firefox Usage is Down 85% Despite Mozilla's Top Exec Pay Going Up 400%"

We may have different opinions and "creative difference", but I think the real actions these days should to support Bitwise works to complete the Qt 5 QtWebengine browser port.

Regards

From what I understand it might not even be possible to get the RUST compiler to run on OS/2 duo to the limited amount of memory the kernel offers.

Roderick

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2020, 08:15:17 am »
From what I understand it might not even be possible to get the RUST compiler to run on OS/2 duo to the limited amount of memory the kernel offers.

Roderick

No reason that it couldn't be cross-compiled besides resources.

Ben Hjelt

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2020, 08:51:27 pm »
There's not many options besides the QT based browser. FF52 could still be ported and then the various forks such as PaleMoon could be ported. Really, now there is the Webkit browsers, Firefox and its forks.
Users of older PPC Mac hardware are truly blessed by Cameron Kaiser's work on TenFourFox. The Pale Moon/XUL project is also interesting as from it there has spawned independent forks for OS X Snow Leopard and even Windows XP!

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2020, 02:26:36 pm »
There's not many options besides the QT based browser. FF52 could still be ported and then the various forks such as PaleMoon could be ported. Really, now there is the Webkit browsers, Firefox and its forks.
Users of older PPC Mac hardware are truly blessed by Cameron Kaiser's work on TenFourFox. The Pale Moon/XUL project is also interesting as from it there has spawned independent forks for OS X Snow Leopard and even Windows XP!

I have an old PPC Mac and TFF is not exactly in great shape, as for Pale Moon it is buggy and the original author does not like forks, see: https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal/releases

Apart from that Feodor2 has been doing a bang up job

Ben Hjelt

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2020, 09:19:34 pm »
TFF is not exactly in great shape
Yeah, TenFourFox was usable enough for banking and such but I usually disabled javascript altogether for general browsing even on a G4. And forget embedded video, modern codecs choked it.
as for Pale Moon it is buggy
;D What did you expect from furries?

Ibrahim Hakeem

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2020, 05:24:38 pm »
as for Pale Moon it is buggy
;D What did you expect from furries?

Oh snap, that does explain how so much is wrong with Palemoon haha