Author Topic: The new browser / QT5  (Read 71616 times)

Greg Pringle

• View Profile
Re: The new browser / QT5
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2020, 03:50:24 pm »
Today I loaded Falkon under windows 10 and found it ran youtube fine but would not display the videos on CBS or CNN. Does anyone know why? Will this be the same for OS/2?

Ibrahim Hakeem

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2020, 08:40:50 pm »
Today I loaded Falkon under windows 10 and found it ran youtube fine but would not display the videos on CBS or CNN. Does anyone know why? Will this be the same for OS/2?

Out of curiosity I tested it on my end and came up with the following error:
Code: 4 | Message: Something went wrong during native playback.
Did the same error occur for you?

I'm going to off on a limb and assume it's because of some kind of API restriction and/or a lack of total support for Widevine, a nightmare of a DRM implementation for video playback in web browsers. I don't believe it's likely we'll get Widevine support in our version of Falkon simply because of the effort involved, at this stage it's probably not worth it and I doubt that many OS/2 users will be affected by it.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 08:44:08 pm by Ibrahim Hakeem »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2020, 10:39:47 pm »
Hi Greg

Can you post the YouTube URLs where you are having issues? I'm also trying Falkon on Windows 10 and YouTube seems to works fine, but I found an issue with YouTube live videos (https://www.youtube.com/live). Check the Live streams.

It seems to me it does not works with YouTube Live, it seems to use a different CODEC. It says the browser does not recognize the video format.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2020, 11:30:19 pm »
I wouldn't be surprised if it is a codec issue. Youtube will use the open VP9 and friends while the other sites likely use H264/AAC. I doubt that any release of Falkon supports Widevine and depending on how FFmpeg was compiled it may not support MP4/AAC due to patent issues. Other web browsers get around the issue on Windows by using the system codecs, which are licensed but I don't think Falkon does.
For us, we can get away with using a FFmpeg that supports these codecs though strictly speaking that is likely illegal for Americans and perhaps others without licensing the codecs. At least that is how it has been with Firefox.

Greg Pringle

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2020, 04:13:52 pm »
I only checked a few YouTube videos using Falcon on Win 10 and they all worked fine.
What did not work were any of the videos on www.cnn.com or www.cbsnews.com
CBS uses some java script to have an opening commercial and then switches to the actual video.
Neither of these ran under Falcon.
CBS game me a spinning dots circle then a black screen.
CNN gave me a "Code4 | Message: Something went wrong during native playback"

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2020, 05:08:19 pm »
I only checked a few YouTube videos using Falcon on Win 10 and they all worked fine.

So far, they have only mentioned Falkon (with a K, not a C) as a candidate for OS/2. It is not the same program as Falcon (with a C, not a K). The last time I looked, it was well over one year since Falkon was updated. Just looked again, and it has still not been updated (two years now?). While that may be  a good think for an update cycle, I am pretty sure that it is NOT a good thing for security, or bug fixing.

When I was trying Falkon, under win 10, I was not very impressed with it. Hopefully, they will pick something that is current, maintained, and usable.

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2020, 05:12:41 pm »
Hi !

I just had a look on CBS from under windows.
a/ Videos are in video playlist M3U8    (hls)
b/ the list can be played under VLC
c/ Under the <video> tag, there is a <source> tag :  <source type="application/vnd.apple.mpegurl"></source>
    It seems that this isn't supported under falcon

I'm going to send a "private message" to Greg about some information e.g. m3u8 list he can give a try under vlc.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2020, 11:38:19 pm »
OK, I rebooted to Linux Mint and tested CNN and CBSNews, videos on both sites played fine. Seems to be,
Application version 3.0.0
QtWebEngine version 5.9.5
Not sure how new the QTWebEngine is, I assume fairly up to date and it is what does all the heavy lifting so even with the browser not being updated, as long as  the webengine is kept up to date, it should be fairly secure.
I must say I'm not very impressed with the interface and I miss NoScript and really need to install a hosts file on this system.
As for the Windows problems, well it's Windows and I still think it doesn't supply the right codecs for most sites. Our version, using the FFmpeg libs, should play most of this stuff as long as there is no DRM, so no Netflix

Davorin

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2020, 12:08:42 am »

So far, they have only mentioned Falkon (with a K, not a C) as a candidate for OS/2. It is not the same program as Falcon (with a C, not a K). The last time I looked, it was well over one year since Falkon was updated. Just looked again, and it has still not been updated (two years now?).

What is about: https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/falkon/
regards
Davorin

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2020, 03:41:34 am »
What is about: https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/falkon/
regards
Davorin

That just seems to show the latest that can be downloaded. Have to go to the hamburger menu and click about Falkon or such which will show a version number like I posted above.
Unluckily, most of the about: stuff doesn't seem to be implemented in Falkon excepting about:blank and the interface is crap (so is the default FF one, but it can be changed) so I find having to use keyboard shortcuts just to do simple things like refresh or back.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2020, 06:04:53 pm »
When this 'new' browser was first mentioned I installed it on my Linux Mint computer.  It was about a year old then and there has not been any updates for the last year, so what is the point of it? 

The interface on Mint is reasonable but there is no way to install something like NoScript nor any apparent way of changing most of the settings to make them useful.

As it stands, when our firefox browser becomes useless I will just nount another monitor and run firefox esr from my Linux box.  Any browser that will nor run something like NoScript, or its equivalent is useless as far as I am concerned.   

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2020, 08:23:43 pm »
When this 'new' browser was first mentioned I installed it on my Linux Mint computer.  It was about a year old then and there has not been any updates for the last year, so what is the point of it? 

The interface on Mint is reasonable but there is no way to install something like NoScript nor any apparent way of changing most of the settings to make them useful.

As it stands, when our firefox browser becomes useless I will just nount another monitor and run firefox esr from my Linux box.  Any browser that will nor run something like NoScript, or its equivalent is useless as far as I am concerned.

Fair point... But keep one thing in mind with the new browser. Let go of the "concept" of a browser. As time goes by we can port other QT front ends for QT webkit rendering engine.

I can understand why people want to have certain add ons in a browser. But for me personally Firefox 45, with each day passing is becoming more and more useless. Webpages not loading, entry forms not working. And its only going to go downhill further from here... I wish it was different....

Anyway if people wamt to port another QT front end for the webkit engine, then see if you can find such a browser and suggest it.

The first key thing is it to make people at least be able to use a browser to access pages again that no longer work.
I am running an internal test version of the browser on my lapop and websites such as GIT, Patreon, Linkedin are working again.
I was not able to login to Linkedin for close to 1 year on ArcaOS.

Roderick

Roderick

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2020, 02:54:38 am »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2020, 04:45:45 am »
Looks promising. Hopefully the developer keeps at it.

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2020, 07:02:43 pm »
When they first mentioned the new browser I suggested they look at Otter as it is going to have a 32bit version. And as you say it looks promising.