OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Programming

Which debugger to use.

(1/7) > >>

Jochen Schäfer:
I want to check, if things are still working as they should in DosBOX/2.
I tried Watcom, but GUI one instantly crashes, when I run DosBOX. The VIO one does not do that, but I can't find an option to select sources.
When I started the port about 15 years ago, I used one of the IBM debuggers in the VAC 4 package, but I just have not been able to set it up correctly at the moment, so I have to really should take a deep dive into them.

So my questions is: Which debugger are you using for GCC compiled and Watcom linked, rpm only applications?
Any configuration recommendations?

Dave Yeo:
Any of the IBM debuggers should sorta work, the OW ones won't. There are issues, IIRC the stack is slightly different then the native debuggers expect though generally they do seem to largely work.
For free and simple (textmode so you can run in full screen session to debug PM app) there is http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/dev/util/sd386v50.zip. Better is if you can install VAC. such as 3.08 (winworld has a copy) or find a copy of jitdbg.

Jochen Schäfer:
Thanks. I will try that.

RickCHodgin:

--- Quote from: Dave Yeo on August 12, 2019, 09:36:00 pm ---Any of the IBM debuggers should sorta work, the OW ones won't. There are issues, IIRC the stack is slightly different then the native debuggers expect though generally they do seem to largely work.
For free and simple (textmode so you can run in full screen session to debug PM app) there is http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/dev/util/sd386v50.zip. Better is if you can install VAC. such as 3.08 (winworld has a copy) or find a copy of jitdbg.

--- End quote ---

sd386 looks nice.  Are there any tutorials on its various features?  It has source code.  Has it been ported to any other OSes, so the OS/2 guest being debugged can be debugged from a Win32 or DOS or Linux host?

Dave Yeo:

--- Quote from: Rick C. Hodgin on November 02, 2019, 02:20:32 am ---sd386 looks nice.  Are there any tutorials on its various features?  It has source code.  Has it been ported to any other OSes, so the OS/2 guest being debugged can be debugged from a Win32 or DOS or Linux host?

--- End quote ---

Not that I know off and considering it was replaced by graphical debuggers that likely ran on Windows, AIX and perhaps other systems, probably not, especially as the readme infers the remote debugging support was added just before being discontinued.
Note that to use any of the IBM debuggers with GCC, programs need to be linked with -Zomf as well as built with -g

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version