Author Topic: Where do I find SciTech Display Doctor?  (Read 9227 times)

vlad557776

Where do I find SciTech Display Doctor?
« on: August 15, 2019, 12:26:35 pm »
Hello. Recently I ran into a problem with my OS/2 Warp 4 and needed a large resolution driver to fix it. I searched the whole net for the drivers, and I found the one which might work: drivers from SciTech Display Doctor. But I couldn't find the ISO or IMA of it. The only one I found was some weird OS/2 DOS only installation. There's a bunch at SciTech's FTP, but it requests a password which I couldn't find. Can someone please send me the link to these drivers? I prefer  V7 build 215 because it's confirmed to work, but any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
Re: Where do I find SciTech Display Doctor?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 01:45:55 pm »
SDD for OS/2 was renamed SNAP about 2000, the freeware release of SNAP can be found here:

http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/system/drivers/video/snap-os2-3.1.8.zip

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 10:19:45 pm »
I forget if the free reg code is in that release or not, but here is what I have saved:

Code: [Select]
The SciTech SNAP Graphics product is no longer being actively
developed, and at least portions of the source code will be made
available under an open source license.  There will no longer be
any future versions of SNAP Graphics available from SciTech.

If you would like to use the latest SciTech release on your
computer, please use the following free registration code to
unlock the product:

Name: Free OS/2 Code
Code: 9F98-2AB9-9195-CC

Please enter the code exactly as shown above (including case).

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 12:20:20 am »
If you are running SMP SNAP will not work very well. You get multiple hangs- when the desktop tries to start, and if the desktop starts correctly, while running.

For SNAP and SMP you need ArcaOS. My opinion is ArcaOS2 is worth the money just for the updated SNAP that works with SMP. Plus there is a whole bunch of other valuable stuff to make the cost (in my opinion) easily worthwhile.

Fahrvenugen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 04:36:09 pm »
Hi,

I'd agree with other posts that you are better with either the version of SNAP that is on Hobbes or the version in ArcaOS.  I have to say that while there are reports of SNAP 3.1.8 not working well with SMP, I have run that version with multiple processor machines and not run into the issues reported.

If you do want the older Scitech Display Doctor, IBM did license a "special edition" of SDD version 7  which is still available at:

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/os2ddpak_cur/sddse704.exe

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 10:57:08 am »
For SNAP and SMP you need ArcaOS. ...
I'm think there is nothing in the ArcaOS SNAP build which improves SMP interoperability. Of course ArcaNoae makes a pretty good job in improving OS/2 to be usable on more modern systems. So if you've some spare money buy ArcaOS licenses ;-). But if the latest free SNAP 3.1.8 doesn't work don't expect miracles from the AN version.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2019, 02:48:06 am »
I have to agree with everyone re: no better result with the AN version of SNAP.

In my case I ran non-AN SNAP for several years on a multi-core machine. No problems other than the dreaded pre-WPS Desktop blue-screen "stuck" symptom. This only happens if I have all the 6 cores of my CPU enabled, with just 5 all is good. Same behaviour with AN SNAP.

Otherwise, while in use I did not see any lockups.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 04:38:01 am »
I have to agree with everyone re: no better result with the AN version of SNAP.

In my case I ran non-AN SNAP for several years on a multi-core machine. No problems other than the dreaded pre-WPS Desktop blue-screen "stuck" symptom. This only happens if I have all the 6 cores of my CPU enabled, with just 5 all is good. Same behaviour with AN SNAP.

Otherwise, while in use I did not see any lockups.

It depends on whether your BIOS turns on write recombining for all cores. Some do and some don't (might be something else besides write combining that needs enabling for all cores). I think OS/4 also has a workaround that fixes the issue.

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 08:41:01 am »
I don't know if it is SNAP itself, or other components of AOS, but on my SMP machine running old SNAP/ECS 2.2 beta the machine/desktop would freeze  - usually right after the desktop background appeared, but also sometimes later. The freeze did not happen with Panorama.  With AOS 5.0 and new SNAP on the same machine I have no problems with the machine freezing.    I did have a problem with the machine crashing periodically when the desktop started to appear with new SNAP, which AN tracked to down to how LCD fonts were being loaded, and sent me a patch.