Author Topic: sshd setup  (Read 3639 times)

gui1862

sshd setup
« on: September 09, 2019, 10:19:57 am »
(This seemed like it could belong in multiple sub-forums, so I just put it here - feel free to move)

Does anybody know the authentication mechanism that the OpenSSH daemon uses? The one from the RPM repo, specifically.

Or for that matter, any general post-install instructions? I've googled around but what's out there is ancient and related to self-contained ports, not the RPM version.

I can get it to launch manually with the -D option, and it accepts a connection from another machine, I just have no idea where it's looking to validate incoming usernames/passwords.

Mathias

• using ArcaOS
    • View Profile
    • IRC
Re: sshd setup
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 12:17:01 pm »
Hi Daniel,

as far as I can see the -D option is only a wrapper. It's not an sshd on itself.

See the man page for ssh:
-------------------------------------------------------
-D [bind_address:]port
             Specifies a local “dynamic” application-level port forwarding.  This works by allocating a socket to listen to port on the local side, optionally bound to the specified bind_address.  Whenever a connection is made to this port, the connection is forwarded over the secure channel, and the application protocol is then used to determine where to connect to from the remote machine.  Currently the SOCKS4 and SOCKS5 protocols are supported, and ssh will act as a SOCKS server.  Only root can forward privileged ports.  Dynamic port forwardings can also be specified in the configuration file.

IPv6 addresses can be specified by enclosing the address in square brackets.  Only the superuser can forward privileged ports.  By default, the local port is bound in accordance with the GatewayPorts setting.  However, an explicit bind_address may be used to bind the connection to a specific address.  The bind_address of “localhost” indicates that the listening port be bound for local use only, while an empty address or ‘*’ indicates that the port should be available from all interfaces.
-------------------------------------------------------

Not sure what you are trying to do, but there should be an sshd packet too.
This should then use the users made by "Klibc User Management".

gui1862

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 09:34:19 pm »
Those are the docs for ssh, not sshd. From the sshd docs: "-D: When this option is specified, sshd will not detach and does not become a daemon.  This allows easy monitoring of sshd."

"Klibc User Management"
Yep, that's more along the lines of what I need. But even setting up a user just for this (or trying to use existing users), it's not letting me through. But the sshd log is not detailed enough to figure out what the problem is.

gui1862

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 02:49:54 am »
update:

the OpenSSH here (+ dependencies), seems to work and is well-documented to boot: http://www.altsan.org/os2/utils/