Author Topic: WordPerfect for Windows 6.1 OS/2 tools  (Read 14733 times)

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
Re: WordPerfect for Windows 6.1 OS/2 tools
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2019, 10:56:19 am »
It's extraordinary that a software company still provides patches for such an old piece of software. Great! There might even be patches for older WP versions I have, for example 5.0 for DOS.

There are, in fact even patches for older WP DOS products such as DataPerfect and DrawPerfect, this is primarily because the stopped updating the ftp site in 2002.

BTW, Corel gave permission to a WP user group website to distribute the old Satellite Software International DOS software for free online a few years back, excluding old versions of WordPerfect etc., which Corel still sells. While that user group has disappeared, those old packages should be downloadable from somewhere.

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2019, 11:05:08 am »
P.S. Corel was bought by venture capitalists Kohlberg Kravis Roberts (KKR) last month, as they are notorious for hard cost cutting it may me an idea for those that still use old Corel software to download whatever support files they need from the ftp site now as it may not be there for long ...

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2019/07/03/1877785/0/en/KKR-Acquires-Leading-Software-Platform-Corel-Corporation-from-Vector-Capital.html

Tuure Linden

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2019, 03:25:53 pm »
I'm downloading everything interesting from the Corel FTP site right now. BTW, it was hard to find a good and working GUI ftp client for OS/2. I ended up using JFTP, it seems to work. I could have used command line tools such as wget, but I prefer graphical FTP client. And downloading files one by one with Firefox makes no sense in this situation.

I have already forgot the name of the client I used with Warp 3.0 over 20 years ago... There was at least one good FTP client if my memory serves me right.

Fahrvenugen

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2019, 04:18:45 pm »
These days I don't use FTP all that much, but I recall when I used Warp 3 there was one I had installed which once connected to a site it presented everything as if it was a folder / object.  You could just drag and drop the files you wanted or an entire folder to your system and it would grab everything in the background.  It worked great, especially if you wanted to create a mirror of entire FTP sites and such.

I agree that it is impressive that Corel has kept this content online and all in one place - especially when a pile of this stuff predates Corel owning the software (some of this stuff is Novell and some SSI).

xynixme

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2019, 05:39:29 pm »
it presented everything as if it was a folder / object.

Here NetDrive caused a lasting system hang while visiting ftp.corel.com/pub. A FAT32 update may have played a role. I had to use <Alt-F1> to rescue a desktop and to go to a prompt to delete volumes.cfg* files. SM/2 also couldn't visit the site. AFAICT there's no overload of interesting files, but something being interesting is about as personal as a "good" FTP solution. :)

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2019, 03:21:43 am »
No, that's not it. It seems to be a native OS/2 version of WordPerfect 5.2 and it doesn't install under ArcaOS. I tried. There's an error message about insufficient RAM. Probably it was never compatible with Warp 4 in the first place.
I installed and have played with WP 5.2 for OS/2 (didn't have any real work to do in it) under ArcaOS.  The issue is not Warp 4 (or above) but rather that the installer cannot handle greater than 512M (as I recall that was the limit).  With ArcaOS, I was able to set the memory to 512M.  The install then went fine (I don't recall having to make any other changes).

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2019, 03:24:40 am »
It will install under ArcaOS and eCS, but it will only install reliably onto the C drive, and only on some file systems, so no JFS. It may also need the "large disk fix" during install, but it works fine without it.

I installed on e: (no C: drive in the system at the time) onto an all JFS system.  The only issue I really ran into was that the installer can only handle 512M of memory.

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2019, 04:48:10 am »
It will install under ArcaOS and eCS, but it will only install reliably onto the C drive, and only on some file systems, so no JFS. It may also need the "large disk fix" during install, but it works fine without it.

I installed on e: (no C: drive in the system at the time) onto an all JFS system.  The only issue I really ran into was that the installer can only handle 512M of memory.

As I mentioned before, this was not an installer issue, I may not have been clear in my first post