Author Topic: WordPerfect for Windows 6.1 OS/2 tools  (Read 14724 times)

Tuure Linden

• View Profile
WordPerfect for Windows 6.1 OS/2 tools
« on: August 25, 2019, 12:44:32 pm »
I own a copy of WordPerfect 6.1 for Windows and it runs well under WinOS/2. However after installation there's a message box that states that additional tools for OS/2 is available and the OS/2 support disk should be ordered from Corel. That's not possible, of course, and I haven't been able to find the disk image from the Internet either. Does some one here perhaps have a copy of the disk?

xynixme

Re: WordPerfect for Windows 6.1 OS/2 tools
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 02:25:52 pm »
https://winworldpc.com/product/wordperfect/5x-os-2?

IIRC I've deleted my installed copy a while ago (after a backup), because it didn't work anymore.

Tuure Linden

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 02:49:57 pm »
No, that's not it. It seems to be a native OS/2 version of WordPerfect 5.2 and it doesn't install under ArcaOS. I tried. There's an error message about insufficient RAM. Probably it was never compatible with Warp 4 in the first place.

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 03:05:02 pm »

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 03:08:35 pm »
No, that's not it. It seems to be a native OS/2 version of WordPerfect 5.2 and it doesn't install under ArcaOS. I tried. There's an error message about insufficient RAM. Probably it was never compatible with Warp 4 in the first place.

It will install under ArcaOS and eCS, but it will only install reliably onto the C drive, and only on some file systems, so no JFS. It may also need the "large disk fix" during install, but it works fine without it.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 03:11:09 pm by Olafur Gunnlaugsson »

xynixme

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 04:24:55 pm »
Sorry for assuming that WP itself shared the same extras.

It will install under ArcaOS and eCS, but it will only install reliably onto the C drive

FTR: my broken copy of WordPerfect for OS/2 used HPFS drive D: (< 2 GiB) indeed, which wasn't the boot drive.

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2019, 04:30:50 pm »
Sorry for assuming that WP itself shared the same extras.

It will install under ArcaOS and eCS, but it will only install reliably onto the C drive

FTR: my broken copy of WordPerfect for OS/2 used HPFS drive D: (< 2 GiB) indeed, which wasn't the boot drive.

It would install on other drives but there were some problems (that have escaped my mind, it's been a few years)

Tuure Linden

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 06:59:58 pm »
The integration tools seem to work except Quicklaunch (there's an error message about a missing DLL). Thanks!

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2019, 07:01:28 pm »
The integration tools seem to work except Quicklaunch (there's an error message about a missing DLL). Thanks!

Does it say what the missing dll is?

Tuure Linden

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2019, 07:40:40 pm »
Actually it does, it name had "wp" and "20" something. I didn't write it down because I didn't like the quick laucher anyway. Back in the day when I used WP 6.1 in Windows 3,1 and laiter Windows 95 I found it annoying and disabled it.

Fahrvenugen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2019, 11:28:29 pm »
Hi,

The patch / OS/2 tools for Wordperfect 6.1 works fine on JFS or HPFS, the only issue is that it needs to use the 8.3 file names.  Of course this is no different from any Win3.x application.

Otherwise I recently installed it on ArcaOS and had no difficulty.

I agree that the quick launch app isn't needed any more and I would not bother with it.   Back in the day - when machines didn't have gigs of memory and it would take some time for Win3.1 apps to start up it was helpful.  But today for most systems starting a Win3.x app is extremely quick, so there isn't really a benefit to running quicklaunch.

Otherwise I quite appreciate the efforts that Novel put into making sure that WordPerfect 6.1 ran well under OS/2 and had a few extra enhancements that were otherwise not available.

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2019, 03:56:06 am »
Hi,

The patch / OS/2 tools for Wordperfect 6.1 works fine on JFS or HPFS, the only issue is that it needs to use the 8.3 file names.  Of course this is no different from any Win3.x application.

The problem with JFS was with the native OS/2 5.x version of Word Perfect, not the WinOS2 version of 6.x

And 6x and 7x 16 bit Windows versions of WP are in general much more usable on OS/2 than the native version although v7 never got a port of the OS/2 tools like 5x and 6x

Fahrvenugen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2019, 05:59:46 am »
I just found the "official" location for the tools, direct from Corel.

ftp://ftp.corel.com/pub/WordPerfect/wpwin/61/os261.exe

That's for the US English version and WordPerfect 6.0a or 6.1.  They also have a copy of the patch for other language versions of WordPerfect for Windows 3.1, along with a variety of other patches and utilities at

ftp://ftp.corel.com/pub/WordPerfect/wpwin/61/

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2019, 06:45:04 am »
I just found the "official" location for the tools, direct from Corel.

ftp://ftp.corel.com/pub/WordPerfect/wpwin/61/os261.exe

That's for the US English version and WordPerfect 6.0a or 6.1.  They also have a copy of the patch for other language versions of WordPerfect for Windows 3.1, along with a variety of other patches and utilities at

ftp://ftp.corel.com/pub/WordPerfect/wpwin/61/

Wow, The reason I uploaded to hobbes is that ftp.corel.com did not answer on sunday I assumed it was dead, anyway the file is the same as the one shipped by Novell except corel has added a note to the archive.

Tuure Linden

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2019, 10:20:10 am »
It's extraordinary that a software company still provides patches for such an old piece of software. Great! There might even be patches for older WP versions I have, for example 5.0 for DOS.