Author Topic: Compiling Word 1.1 from the source code  (Read 4050 times)

Tuure Linden

• View Profile
Compiling Word 1.1 from the source code
« on: August 25, 2019, 12:41:22 pm »
For some time ago Microsoft has made the source code of Word 1.1 for Windows available (https://github.com/BlastarIndia/msword). I've read that OS/2 version is also included and some people have compiled the software under OS/2. But how is it done? I have tried to make sense of the included documentation and tools but haven't been able to compile the software succesfully.

It's quite outdated software but it would be very interesting to try to use it under OS/2. I have Word 6.0 for Windows that runs without any issues in the WinOS/2 environment but I would very much like to run native OS/2 software when possible.

xynixme

Re: Compiling Word 1.1 from the source code
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 02:57:31 pm »
It's quite outdated software but it would be very interesting to try to use it under OS/2. I have Word 6.0 for Windows that runs without any issues in the WinOS/2 environment but I would very much like to run native OS/2 software when possible.

I'm afraid that a downgrade being interesting doesn't qualify as an added value for a restricted number of developers, while there are several alternatives available. And it may not work, even when it can be compiled without any errors or warnings.

Tuure Linden

• View Profile
Re: Compiling Word 1.1 from the source code
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 07:46:15 pm »
Maybe "to use" was a wrong verb to use. As a curiousity it would be nice to compile and try out this old piece of software. Actually I found a copy from Winworldpc.com and it works under ArcaOS. And yes, the program is very limited compared to modern word processors. I could use OpenOffice writer or Office 365 to do everything I need but it's just fun to be able to use older software occasionally.