Author Topic: Firefox 45.9.0 can no longer play Youtube movies ?  (Read 24714 times)

ivan

• View Profile
Re: Firefox 45.9.0 can no longer play Youtube movies ?
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2019, 05:26:50 am »
Hi Dave,

I isn't just one core at 100%, but 1 core for a few seconds then it switches to another core for a few seconds then another one.  It works through all 4 cores and the only way to kill it is the big red switch.

A new profile, without any addons, doesn't do anything to change the behaviour (the computer has been switched off more times in testing than it has since I built it :P normally up 24/7 since it also runs the FTP server).

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2019, 06:06:24 am »
Try changing where MOZILLA_HOME points to take registry.dat out of the picture. Also get rid of MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH first. You can do both in a console window and then launch Firefox like firefox.exe 2>&1 | tee firefox.log and report if anything looks weird in it. Should only mention DIVE support being turned off.
Did you ever try the AMD optimized build I did for Dariusz? I'd build you a Ryzen optimized build except I'm sure the compiler would have no such option and newer compilers don't build Firefox.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2019, 02:15:17 pm »
Hi ivan,

...I isn't just one core at 100%, but 1 core for a few seconds then it switches to another core for a few seconds then another one.  It works through all 4 cores and the only way to kill it is the big red switch.

A new profile, without any addons, doesn't do anything to change the behaviour (the computer has been switched off more times in testing than it has since I built it :P normally up 24/7 since it also runs the FTP server).

Alright, so this behaviour is very similar to what I have seen on numerous occasions as we were testing the FF49.x builds. Here is what I found out to be the two contributors:

1) high-res timer
I have the following in my CONFIG.SYS, without this my Phenom II X6 cores are constantly jumping around: SET NSPR_OS2_NO_HIRES_TIMER=1. This appears to be very much dependent on your hardware. Some people say it works great letting FF haver access to that timer, others (like me) have to disable it, or else the CPU cores are constantly going crazy.

2) layout.frame_rate FF profile setting
This controls how frequently FF attempts to re-paint the screen and based on my understanding other platforms allows FF to avoid flicker as you scroll pages up and down (the back end code ties-in to things like monitor vsync refresh rates, etc.) However, for us this simply does not exist (the process making use of such an API to make the determination of what rates to try to sync up to), although an effort was started to develop this because SNAP drivers after all do in fact have that API, again, limitted to SNAP only AFAIK.

Now, if you are going to play with this setting here is what the options are (copy/paste from an on-line article):
1) '-1' use hardware vsync to tick the refresh driver
2) '0' means: Enable "ASAP mode", which ticks the refresh driver as fast as possible and disables vsync
3) Values larger than zero mean: Use a software timer to tick the refresh driver at the specified rate (N times per second)

On my machine I have it set to '0', which is the default value in FF 45.9.0. The tradeoff to using this is that as you refresh less often (values get progressively higher) that CPU load diminishes however FF starts to feel un-responsive...so it is literally slow to respond to your keyboard input, page up/down commands, etc.

Anyways, try these two things out. Do them one at a time, I would recommend #1 (high-res timer setup) first.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2019, 03:58:19 pm »
Hi Dave,

I will setup a new Ryzen computer later today (that is an one of my running units but with a new hard disk containing a bootable OS image), that way all the old cruft will be out of the way.

I your AMD optimised build still available and if so where do I find it?

Hi Dariusz,

As soon as I get the 'new' computer up and running (as above) I will start experimenting as per your suggestions, don't know when that will be as friends are going to take me out for my birthday, the big 80.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2019, 04:16:34 pm »
Hi ivan,

...Hi Dariusz,

As soon as I get the 'new' computer up and running (as above) I will start experimenting as per your suggestions, don't know when that will be as friends are going to take me out for my birthday, the big 80.

Ahhh...super...Happy Birthday sir!

And I thought I hit the "big one" a few years back when my 40 came around...LOL!!! Rock on.... ;)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2019, 04:39:47 pm »
Happy Birthday too, the PhenonII build is at https://bitbucket.org/dryeo/mozilla-os2/downloads/ it's a nightly as I don't feel I should be using the trademarked Firefox name.

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2019, 05:18:47 am »
Dave,

Thanks for the info on mozturbo.  I will try mozturbo and see if it makes any difference. And look at the trp and popup log.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2019, 05:29:14 pm »
Hi Dave and Dariusz, thanks for the well wishes.

Dave, I downloaded the AMD nightly version.  It runs without locking up the computer and with Dariusz tips works reasonably well.  At the moment I am inclined to continue using firefox 38.8 for general browsing, it appears to be faster, and fire up one of my Linux computers with firefox 60.8.0esr for those websites that do stupid things in the name of 'security' when they mean 'optimised for Chrome'.

Thanks for all your help.

xynixme

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2019, 12:24:37 pm »
Here the latest FNTCNF1.DLL seems to crash (FC-CACHE.EXE -r -> *.TRP, invalid instruction). They may have "optimized" it for non-OS/2 CPUs. Apparently the community is still too large.

Hopefully one day people will understand that their "legacy CPU" is someones "CPU", because OS/2 and eCS 1.x are their latest "OSes" instead of "legacy OSes". Part of the problem will be that both this forum and ArcaOS share the same language, so it's harder to notice that we've lost quite a few countries. Most users of OS/2 or eCS won't fancy hardware which is 15-20 years old...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 12:45:10 pm by AndrĂ© Heldoorn »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2019, 04:30:39 pm »
Are you using the i686 build of fontconfig? If so, that sounds like a bug. What is the assembler part of the trp?

xynixme

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2019, 05:24:55 pm »
Are you using the i686 build of fontconfig? If so, that sounds like a bug. What is the assembler part of the trp?

It sounds like a bad and irresponsible choice. The same applies to CRYPTO10.DLL (and probably SSL10.DLL). Invalid instructions. SSE2 instructions (MOVSD, to answer the question).

Which i686 fontconfig builds? XWLAN fails too, so it's not just about a browser which requires i686+'s hardware anyway. IIRC the broken builds "for OS/2", I cannot see anything new related to i686, are:

http://rpm.netlabs.org/experimental/00/zip/openssl-1_0_2t-1_oc00.zip
http://rpm.netlabs.org/release/00/zip/fontconfig-2_13_1-3_oc00.zip

Solutions for the even fewer happy few...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 05:35:55 pm by AndrĂ© Heldoorn »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2019, 05:50:37 pm »
I guess they're zipping the Pentium 4 builds, which I agree is a bad choice. You will have to download the actual RPM's from the i686 repository and unrpm them.

xynixme

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2019, 06:25:30 pm »
You will have to download the actual RPM's from the i686 repository and unrpm them.
I, assuming ZIPs are older than matching RMPs, cannot find a OPENSSL*2T* file name in http://rpm.netlabs.org/release/00/i386/i686/

Is there such a thing as an "experimental i686 RPM" repository?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile

xynixme

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2019, 02:23:39 pm »
You will have to download the actual RPM's from the i686 repository and unrpm them.

Code: [Select]
To run this batch file, at least `rpm2cpio.exe' and `cpio.exe' are required.
Where can I find those requirements (of a requirement, of a requirement, of a requirement, of a requirement)?