Author Topic: Warp 3 Diskettes installation in VirtualBox - Setup installation detected an int  (Read 9838 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Hi

Just for the fun of it I wanted to install Warp 3 - Red spine - r9.023 (Correction:8.162) on VirtualBox (Windows Host).
I set up the VM with 64 RAM (and also 32), and created an 500HD disk first and later an 125MB HDD. Fdisk was able to view the disk and partition it without problems.

But I'm getting this error when reading the disk #2.  (attached image) and I can not continue with the installation process. I get the "Setup installation detected an internal error (03)"

Any suggestions about this "Blast from the past" ?

Regards
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 05:34:53 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Some time ago, I installed Red Spine to a VBox system (under win 10). I used a 250 MB virtual disk, and 48 MB RAM (a HUGE system, for warp 3). I had no trouble with the diskette images, I think I just mounted the diskette images, as they exist on the CD (after copying them to the hard disk). You would need to create diskette images, if you have an all diskette installer, or find them on the internet somewhere. Chances are, that there will be more bad diskettes, if that is the case. Diskettes are probably well past their "best before" date, and a lot of things could have damaged them, in one way or another.

My guess is that error 3 is a missing, or corrupt file.

Mathias

• using ArcaOS
    • View Profile
    • IRC
Yup, try with a smaller HDD. Warp 3 can handle up to 512 MB as the first drive. (not partition but drive)
All other drives (and partitions) besides the first one may be larger.

I had no trouble with VBox and Warp 3 with floppy images, using 256 MB HDD for the first drive.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Hi

My guess is that error 3 is a missing, or corrupt file.

My guess was the same, but I tried three different languages of release 8.162 (English, Italian, Arabic - diskette editions) and the three got stucked in the same place, (when I insert the disk 2) with the same VM.  I also tried a different machine with VirtualBox 6.0.12  Windows host and get the same issue.

The strange thing is that with release 8.200, the CD installation goes smoothly on the same VM. I'm guessing to try other virtualizer and see the results of 8.162. If it works, maybe I should be asking on the VirtualBox forum.

Update: Even the diskette versions of release 8.200 are working on the VM.

Regards
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 06:08:41 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
The strange thing is that with release 8.200, the CD installation goes smoothly on the same VM. I'm guessing to try other virtualizer and see the results of 8.162. If it works, maybe I should be asking on the VirtualBox forum.

I am not sure which version of Red Spine, that I have, and I don't have the time to try to figure it out, right now. It is the CD version, and it works, so it is probably the same as the CD version that you mention.

Just some thoughts:

How about using the boot diskettes from the version that works, and the rest from the version that doesn't. It may be something as simple as the IDE driver doesn't like the VBox IDE disk controller, or the virtual disk is too big. There may be a set of replacement boot diskettes available, somewhere, if you look.

You could also try a different chip set emulation in VBox (older is better, in this case). Look in System-> Motherboard-> Chipset. PIIX3 is more likely to work than ICH9.

Try a 70 MB virtual disk, or follow the procedure to replace the IBM IDE driver with the Dani driver. Remember that a machine with 8 MB of memory, and a 100 MB HDD was pretty large, when Warp 3 was released, and there were a number of IDE driver updates (including the Dani driver) to make it work when larger disks showed up.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Hi

I modified the VM with 4MB RAM, 100MB HDD and PIIX3 was already there.  I got the same results.

If I use the diskettes from "IBM OS2 Warp 3 - Red - 8.162 - English - Diskettes" and only replace the "Disk1" with the one from "IBM OS2 Warp 3 - Blue - 8.200 - English - Diskettes", I can pass the Disk 2 issue, but now I get this error on "Disk 4" (picture attached).

My next step will be to try to modify the installation disks with Doug's suggestion.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Hi

Just playing around, if I replace this two files (IBM1FLPY.ADD, IBM1S506.ADD) of Disk1, from the ones on 8.200, I can pass the first installation phase, but it will trap on next boot at IBMIDECD.FLT.

I will keep trying a little bit. I will read again the procedure to update the Warp 3 diskettes. (If I find it)

Regards

Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
I can pass the Disk 2 issue, but now I get this error on "Disk 4" (picture attached).

If you are installing from diskettes, remember that the boot diskettes will be FAT, but the rest will be XDF format, not FAT. It is possible that the VBox diskette emulation won't work with XDF.

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
If you are installing from diskettes, remember that the boot diskettes will be FAT, but the rest will be XDF format, not FAT. It is possible that the VBox diskette emulation won't work with XDF.

It does work with XDF, it emulates a floppy drive rather than an FS.

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
The FTP server is still around so there is no need for an archive.org link, just ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/fixes/v3.0warp/english-us/warpinst/warpinst.exe

Bogdan

• View Profile
VirtualBox doesn't support XDF disk image files. Virtual PC can be used to install from them but not from physical floppy drives. The VHD that contains the installed system can be transferred to VirtualBox.

Fahrvenugen

• View Profile
Hi,

It is probably a combination of 2 things.

First, if you have one of the original shipping releases of Warp 3 red spine (floppy version), the original release shipped with bad IDE and CD drivers that didn't work properly.  I recall a few days of frustration when I first got Warp 3 back in the day, until I called IBM and they pointed me in the direction of the fix.  You'll need to create updated install disks (with tweaked config.sys) using files from the warpinst.exe package.

Second, I think it is correct that Virtualbox may not support the XDF format.  You might be able to get around this - I recall back in the day there was an article I read somewhere about how to create a Warp 3 installation CD if you had the floppy XDF version - if I recall it involved extracting the disks to a hard disk and then burning a CD, then using the 2 boot floppies to get to the point where Warp recognized the CD and you could then run the install from the CD.  Don't ask me where this article might be found - it was a long time ago.  If I were to try and do this now I'd likely just start with one my copies of Warp that came on a CD rather then trying to mess with the floppies.

On another note, I still have a Warp 3 (red spine) install running in a production capacity.  For several reasons it is still probably my favourite release.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 09:29:21 pm by Fahrvenugen »