Author Topic: Turning ArcaOS into Warp Server  (Read 4766 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Turning ArcaOS into Warp Server
« on: October 01, 2019, 02:45:39 pm »
Hi

I don't have much experience with Warp Server, but I understand it is the same OS as OS/2 with more components.

Can someone with more experience list the components and/or application that were the thing that made the difference on Warp Server?
Did anybody tried the experiment on running those components on ArcaOS?

I only have curiosity on this, it is not that I have a current necessity for this.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
Re: Turning ArcaOS into Warp Server
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 02:49:54 pm »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 05:32:46 pm »
Thanks for the link Sigurd. I forgot about that.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 05:08:37 pm »
Hi

I also was wondering, if I use Alex's "LAN Server Installation Utility" and the "Warp Server for e-business ACP 2 / 4.52" CD, are there any additional fixpacks/APARs to install, or those are the latest release of the server components that is available.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 05:02:27 pm »
Martin,

In an email exchange with Alex  Taylor some years ago he suggests installing LAN Server fixpack IP08608 after installing the WSeB networking install.

It has been a few years since I have done this and I don't remember if I ever installed the fix pack or not.

I have done this twice with ECS systems, the last one being ecs 2.2 beta. If you are doing a fresh ECS install you need to select the IBM file and print sharing components during the ECS install otherwise the install hangs - at least it did for me.  Don't know what happens with AOS install. When you run \IBMLAN\INSTALL\LANINST.EXE, select TAILORED and then select UNINSTALL it will remove the file and print sharing components, which you will replace with WSeB network install.

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 07:05:57 pm »
WSeB was OS/2 with enhancements including SMP and JFS, plus HPFS385, LAN Server components, and Lotus Domino Go Web Server.

eComStation and Arca-Noae both have the OS/2 enhancements that were in WSeB and the client part of Lan Server.  Alex Taylor's install program will install the server part of Lan Server and remove some of the client parts of LAN server. You can install HPFS386 separately, and I believe some have reported here having installed HPFS386 without the Lan Server components.

HPFS386 is a higher performance version of HPFS that includes local security for files. Part of that higher performance comes from code changes and part comes from the ability to specify a larger cache size.

Lotus Domino Go Web server was a Lotus developed HTTP web server. I think it was easier to configure than Apache, but the Go Web Server stopped development long before Apache did on OS/2.

The administration of the server part of Lan Server is accomplished through WPS objects. For example you drag a template object for directory resource definitions and drop it in a folder to specify the directory should be shared and what the access should be.

LAN Server provides sharing of files and printers, like SAMBA, but it also provides sharing of serial ports, and (I believe) provides DDE and clipboard between machines on the network. It also provides a security mechanism that can be specified for a domain, along with the ability to have backup domain controllers.  You can also open a named pipe between two different machines on the network.

The LAN Server client components (IBM File and Print Sharing) allow redirection of drives, directories, parallel and serial ports. This allows, for example, printing from Win-OS2 to any postscript printer that OS/2 can print to - so I can printer from FrameMaker in Win-OS2 to my network connected HP Colorlaserjet M452dn.

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 07:12:01 pm »
The client side of Lan Server provides WPS objects for accessing drives/directories which you have not assigned to a drive letter. The File and Print Client Resource Browser is the top object. You can use the object to drag files from a directory on a drive that does not have a drive letter.

The downside is the Lan Server stuff doesn't work with Windows past XP or Mac, while SAMBA does.

Mathias

• using ArcaOS
    • View Profile
    • IRC
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 08:48:02 am »
Doug Clark> The downside is the Lan Server stuff doesn't work with Windows past XP or Mac, while SAMBA does.

Hmmm... this could mean the samba version is too old, so Windows declines to see them. You can disable this behaviour if you like:

1) right mouse button on the start button (lower left of the task bar) --> click "Apps and Features"
   This opens up the newish full screen menu thing. Even in the advanced listing, there is no such option as SMB 1, BUT..... it is still there... hidden.
2) on the right of the newish full screen Apps and Features screen, click on "Programs and Features" (should be the first item on the upper right)
   This brings up the old "Application dialog from Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7/8/8.1.
3) Once in the old dialog, click on "Activate or Deactivate Windows Features" in the upper left of the dialog.
   This brings up another sub dialog, which contains "SMB 1.0/CIFS file share support"
4) enable "Support for SMB 1.0/CIFS file shares" then click OK

You might need to reboot, but this should make Windows understand the really old Samba protocol versions too. (They say it's been disabled for security reasons.. :>)

This solution is untested for OS/2, but works well with NT4 & Windows 2000 shares.
Good chance this also makes OS/2 shares show up as well. : )