Author Topic: Polarbar Mailer  (Read 3567 times)

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
Polarbar Mailer
« on: September 30, 2019, 11:28:07 pm »
This was a great mailer, based on Post Road Mailer for OS/2. Long abandoned, it is now under development again.

However, it requires a minimum of Java 11, and on OS/2 we have OpenJDK 6. So I think it's not needed to put up news on OS/2 World about Polarbar Mailer for now.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Fahrvenugen

• View Profile
Re: Polarbar Mailer
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 09:12:26 pm »
I admit that I wish the source for PostRoad Mailer had been made available.  It was my preferred email app back in the day and I'd love to see the source become available for updating.

Does anyone know if Dan Porter is still around and if he'd be willing to open the source (presuming he still has it)?  I recall at one point he was open to the idea.  At this point I have no idea if he even still has the source code.

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 04:10:15 pm »
I have tested Polarbar 1.25A, one release before the last one. Can't say it is very stable. It does go down regularly with errors and produce files like hs_err_pidXX.log. I didn't get it going on SSL addresses, on normal POP its okay. But as soon as the message does have HTML it does strange things like presenting messages on the most right screen line, you just see the first character of a line. And it will go down on such a message with an error file. The program has issues as soon as it has to handle with not known parts in the message.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 04:43:49 pm »
Polarbar 1.2.5e was quite stable with Java 1.3.1 and some font fixups. As stable as Thunderbird, anyway.

It's a lovely mailer, and I'm sure once you use it, you won't be able to go back to Post Road.

IMAP didn't work perfectly, and I don't use POP much anymore, so I was hoping to run the new version. Maybe if BWW ports Java 11 or newer, this could replace Thunderbird for my use.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com