Author Topic: Timidity MCD install (Minstaller).  (Read 27043 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Timidity MCD install (Minstaller).
« on: October 05, 2019, 04:02:34 pm »
Hi

I'm trying to install Timidity MCD, since I want MIDI emulation on MMOS2. I remember that I used it on the past.
It is installed with the Multimedia Installer, but on ArcaOS minstall (from Kiewitz) it is giving me an error.

"timidmcd.scr:6] String is too big.
Return-Code 8 (CID: Success, error (s) logged)

Is there something you suggest to change on timidmcd.scr ? Or any other way to get MIDI emulation on MMOS2 ?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Timidity MCD install (Minstaller).
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 04:10:04 pm »
Hi

I found a workarround for Minstall. I changed the sixth line of timidmcd.scr from
 DrvVersionNumber = "2.10.4"
to
  DrvVersionNumber = "2.10"

Now I have to remember how to configure Timidity with the GUS/patch thing.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 06:13:44 pm »
Ohh

I'm going to try Alex's port, I forgot about that.
http://www.altsan.org/programming/ports/

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 07:05:52 pm »
Hi

I had tried Alex Timidity without issues, but I need someway to have Timidity working on MMOS2.

Timidity MCD is producing me an error on the WPS, it seems that CW-MM tried to read the .mid file and crash the WPS everytime I show a window with a .mid file on it. I need to test it futher on some other VM to confirm it is a reproducible error. To revert that error, I just rename timidity.dll (from \MMOS2\DLL) to timidity.old.

I want to have MIDI support on MMOS2, because I want to try to get MIDI sound on solo old OS/2 games like Lemmings, Makman.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 08:06:16 pm »
 Hi Martin,

I saw your post and decided to try Timidity MCD but so far no luck playing any MIDI files. If I double click one, the WPS resets and if I right click one, then choose 'Player', the playing app starts, but hangs the WPS until I force kill the 'AB' process with Top.

The problem with CWMM can be dealt with by editing the OS2.INI 'CWMM' keyword 'mmCLSDontCheckDrives' to include the drive letter of the drive with the MIDI files on it.

Let us know if you get it going...

Regards,
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 04:17:09 am by David McKenna »

xynixme

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 01:24:03 am »
I want to have MIDI support on MMOS2, because I want to try to get MIDI sound on solo old OS/2 games like Lemmings, Makman.

The Makman MIDI files seems to require more instruments than supported by Timidity by default, if https://onlinesequencer.net is anything to go by. So you may need real, supported hardware after all.

You could try to convert (directly or indirectly) a sound file to a supported MMOS/2 file format, e.g. WAV, and next hope that Makman uses the right technology. For example, you can copy Makman's EATING.WAV to EATING.MID, and use x:\MMOS2\PLAY.CMD FILE="EATING.MID" to play the renamed file. Of course it'll be a WAV file, but with a file name expected by the app. If that works with Makman, then...

Code: [Select]
COPY VEMBO.MID VEMBO.MID.BAK
Somehow play VEMBO.MID and record that as VEMBO.WAV (or convert an unsupported file format binary, if possible)
Rename VEMBO.WAV to VEMBO.MID

If.

To test, please first try this with an existing audio file, per app, and make sure the sound file will actually be used by the app. I don't know how to let Makman play VEMBO.MID, without having tested that. I cannot hear a MP3 files saved as VEMBO.MID, but that doesn't rule out that this won't work with Makman.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2019, 01:55:42 am »
There's other reports of Timidity MCD crashing everytime a folder with MIDI files is opened. Be nice to fix. First the autotools support needs fixing as trying to run configure && make fails with sh can't find CONFIGURE or such. The MCD code is mixed in with the code to build Timidity too.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2019, 10:14:08 am »
Timidity MCD is broken. I was thinking about writing a new one that just invokes timidity.exe under the hoods but I never found the time to do it.
What does work is to associate .MID files with timidity.exe but that does not give you the "double click and play" functionality.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 10:16:14 am by Lars »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2019, 06:47:28 pm »
Hi

For the moment I had found Alex's port of Timidity (2.13.2 preview release 2) with the EAWPatches package working very good (PM and command line) testing different MID files.

Timidity MCD is broken. I was thinking about writing a new one that just invokes timidity.exe under the hoods but I never found the time to do it.

That would be the optimal thing to integrate the MIDI with MMOS2, maybe some of the Timidity MCD source code can be re utilize to save some time. 

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2019, 07:07:16 pm »
No, timidity MCD source Code is Not helpful.
It's completely Broken and IT cannot handle multiple instances (I did already Look at it)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2019, 07:46:29 pm »
Besides Timidity, there's also fluidsynth (Hobbes) for playing MIDI files with SoundFonts. Haven't tested but KOMH seems to be keeping it up to date.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2019, 07:17:02 am »
Hi David,

yes, there are applications that can play MIDI just fine. The only advantage of a MCD implementation is that it better integrates in the WPS and the MMPM environment as you can use the MMPM API to control the "MIDI device". For example, that makes it available to any application that uses the generic/well defined MMPM API to play a MIDI file instead of calling an app directly. Additionally, the WPS will play a MIDI file on a double click because underneath, the WPS class that manages MIDI files uses the MMPM API to play the MIDI file.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2019, 09:51:31 pm »
Hi

For the moment I had found Alex's port of Timidity (2.13.2 preview release 2) with the EAWPatches package working very good (PM and command line) testing different MID files.

Regards

Hi Martin, after having read your post I've installed Timidity 2.13.2 wpi package (OS2 Warp 4.52 on Virtualbox), and its GUI appearently works but no sound is heard  while the player runs a midi file.  I've then executed the BEE.MID file in the Timidity text mode, below you can see the output.  Do you catch the issue?
Thank you

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2019, 09:55:15 pm »
Hi

Regards

Hi Martin, after having read your post I've installed Timidity 2.13.2 wpi package (OS2 Warp 4.52 on Virtualbox), and its GUI appearently works but no sound is heard  while the player runs a midi file.  I've then executed the BEE.MID file in the Timidity text mode, below you can see the output.  Do you catch the issue?
Thank you

Hi Mauro

I installed Alex's Timidity and also  timidity_eawpats_r12.wpi. Alex WarpIn installer will recognize timidity_eawpats_r12.wpi on the same folder and installs both. Did you installed that? I think that EAWPats are like the instruments files, or something.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2019, 01:59:06 am »
I often see similar errors with working MIDI files and Timidity, it's missing samples from your patchset. Of course if all instruments are missing, no sound but judging by your output, you're only missing some.
I've installed a lot of samples over the years.