Author Topic: Timidity MCD install (Minstaller).  (Read 27034 times)

mauro

• View Profile
Re: Timidity MCD install (Minstaller).
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2019, 10:47:48 am »

Hi Mauro

I installed Alex's Timidity and also  timidity_eawpats_r12.wpi. Alex WarpIn installer will recognize timidity_eawpats_r12.wpi on the same folder and installs both. Did you installed that? I think that EAWPats are like the instruments files, or something.

Regards

ok thanks, I missed the timidity_eawpats package suggestion, so I installed it, but still not giving sounds, with same ouput message in TiMidity text mode.
Is it correct that the eawpats contents must be inside the eawpats subfolder (APPS/TiMidity/eawpats) ?

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2019, 06:06:47 pm »
ok thanks, I missed the timidity_eawpats package suggestion, so I installed it, but still not giving sounds, with same ouput message in TiMidity text mode.
Is it correct that the eawpats contents must be inside the eawpats subfolder (APPS/TiMidity/eawpats) ?

Not necessarily, but then the timidity.cfg file must be edited to include the correct path.
e.g.
Code: [Select]
dir c:\mmos2\patches\eawpats
Also make sure that timidity.cfg has the eawpats config file entries uncommented:
source gravis.cfg
source gsdrums.cfg
source gssfx.cfg
source xgmap2.cfg
(This shouldn't technically be necessary if they are in the Timidity program directory, but I'm not entirely certain that's 100% true in practice, and it's safer to make sure they're uncommented.)

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2019, 06:08:00 pm »
By the way, I'm preparing a new release, which includes several improvements to the PM GUI.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2019, 06:28:06 pm »
I often see similar errors with working MIDI files and Timidity, it's missing samples from your patchset. Of course if all instruments are missing, no sound but judging by your output, you're only missing some.
I've installed a lot of samples over the years.

Hi Dave, as said in my previous post now I've installed Timidity eawpats as well but still hear no sound running a midi file.
If I run TiMidity in text mode to play a midi file just to see what it says, a file with few instruments like BEE.MID will show few of them missing, while a file with more of them (BALLGAME.MID) will show more missing.  I believe all those missing instruments warnings are mostly indicating that is going wrong and that'why I hear nothing. Isn't so?

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2019, 06:31:12 pm »

Not necessarily, but then the timidity.cfg file must be edited to include the correct path.
e.g.
dir c:\mmos2\patches\eawpats
Also make sure that timidity.cfg has the eawpats config file entries uncommented:
source gravis.cfg
source gsdrums.cfg
source gssfx.cfg
source xgmap2.cfg
(This shouldn't technically be necessary if they are in the Timidity program directory, but I'm not entirely certain that's 100% true in practice, and it's safer to make sure they're uncommented.)

Hi Alex, I've edited TIMIDITY.CFG as you suggested, would you please have a look if did ok, especially in the config/patch file directories section?
Thank you

##############################################################################
# Look for configuration and patch files in the following directories:

dir @@TIMIDITY_DIR@@
dir C:\APPS\TiMidity\eawpats

# This sets up the default patches in the TiMidity support package
# "timidity-lib-0.1.tar.gz":

#bank 0
#   0 patch/acpiano.pat
#  24 patch/nylongt2.pat

# Uncomment to enable Eric Welsh's EAWPatches
#
source gravis.cfg
source gsdrums.cfg
source gssfx.cfg
source xgmap2.cfg

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2019, 06:38:27 pm »

Hi Alex, I've edited TIMIDITY.CFG as you suggested, would you please have a look if did ok, especially in the config/patch file directories section?

dir @@TIMIDITY_DIR@@
dir C:\APPS\TiMidity\eawpats

# This sets up the default patches in the TiMidity support package
# "timidity-lib-0.1.tar.gz":

#bank 0
#   0 patch/acpiano.pat
#  24 patch/nylongt2.pat

# Uncomment to enable Eric Welsh's EAWPatches
#
source gravis.cfg
source gsdrums.cfg
source gssfx.cfg
source xgmap2.cfg

YES IT IS !  Now it is playing !

Thanks to you, Dave and Martin

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2019, 03:21:23 pm »
Glad to hear it.

FWIW, this line:
dir @@TIMIDITY_DIR@@
is unnecessary - it's just a placeholder for the WPI installer.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2019, 08:03:22 pm »
By the way, I'm preparing a new release, which includes several improvements to the PM GUI.

to keep an eye on it, we're talking about http://www.altsan.org/programming/ports/  page, right?

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2019, 08:29:04 am »
now that TiMidity works, just need to ask if you can tell,  how can I get its execution associated to .mid files opening.  I already made the association with Assoedit, and it confirms that *.MID filter is now associated to TiMidity text mode execution, but a midi file context menu still shows "play" as default association, which leads to nothing. This maybe because in the Multimedia configuration a MIDI file is considered unseparable from the Sequencer01 which is given as the default system application for playing it, and don't know how to change it (if I uncheck the box then next opening I find it checked again).
Thank you

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2019, 11:15:42 am »
This is exactly the problem I explained already: the WPS class that handles MIDI files uses the MMPM API to play the midi file.
And this API requires an MCD implementation of timidity. The only thing you can do is to deregister the WPS class that handles MIDI files, in which case a midi file will be an "ordinary" file of unknown content . But then, you will also lose the WPS icon representation of the midi file.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2019, 02:16:55 pm »
This is exactly the problem I explained already: the WPS class that handles MIDI files uses the MMPM API to play the midi file.
And this API requires an MCD implementation of timidity. The only thing you can do is to deregister the WPS class that handles MIDI files, in which case a midi file will be an "ordinary" file of unknown content . But then, you will also lose the WPS icon representation of the midi file.

Hi Lars, thanks for the clarification. I would try to do that, since I use a test environment machine where to make all experiments before going live. Losing a WPS icon will be an accettable pain in change of the benefit to play midi files by an icon doubleclick. Can I ask to explain me how to proceed to deregister the WPS class handling midi?

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2019, 04:19:16 pm »
I am not in front of my PC but if you have XWorkplace installed you can then use the WPS class browser to show all WPS classes. You will then be able to guess from the WPS class name what is the WPDataFile derived WPS class that handles MIDI files. It should be called "MMMIDI" or something like that. If you found it you can right click on that WPS class and choose "deregister" and it will no longer be registered. You can then restart the WPS. What you should do is to note down the DLL that implements the WPS class and also the WPS class name. You can then reregister the WPS class in case you want to do that.

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2019, 04:53:42 am »

to keep an eye on it, we're talking about http://www.altsan.org/programming/ports/  page, right?

That's correct, yes.  Coming soon.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2019, 09:33:19 pm »
I am not in front of my PC but if you have XWorkplace installed you can then use the WPS class browser to show all WPS classes. You will then be able to guess from the WPS class name what is the WPDataFile derived WPS class that handles MIDI files. It should be called "MMMIDI" or something like that. If you found it you can right click on that WPS class and choose "deregister" and it will no longer be registered. You can then restart the WPS. What you should do is to note down the DLL that implements the WPS class and also the WPS class name. You can then reregister the WPS class in case you want to do that.

Ok, I do have XWorkplace and have deregistered the MMMIDI class by selecting "Deregister" as you indicated (1st image) and at that moment the MMMIDI class disappeared from its position, but then after rebooting nothing has changed, midi files are with same icon as before and same context menu with "play" item by default.
Furthermore, by reopening the WPS class browser, MMMIDI is there again, without possibility to act on its context menu because the items are shadowed (2nd image)

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2019, 04:52:19 pm »
Hi mauro,

You could also try Class manager (search for classman on hobbes) which is what I use when I need to deregister classes.