Author Topic: T540p - OS/2 is unable to operate your hard disk  (Read 8633 times)

Andi B.

• View Profile
T540p - OS/2 is unable to operate your hard disk
« on: October 12, 2019, 06:16:22 pm »
Anyone successfully installed ArcaOS or OS/2 on a T540p?

Trying install ArcaOS from USB Stick leads to a reboot after selecting 'Booting with default values'.

When putting in another harddisk with preinstalled eCS and ArcaOS on different partitions I always get 'OS/2 in unable to operate your hard disk'. Any hints to get this Thinkpad running?

I've disabled Hyperthreading and USB3 in BIOS. I also enabled Legacy boot. What else?

Pete

• View Profile
Re: T540p - OS/2 is unable to operate your hard disk
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 07:38:16 pm »
Hi Andi

No experience with a T540p but suggest you try using "boot with own values..." instead of using the defaults and check any install information about installing from USB drive.

Is there a "Compatibility" setting in the EUFI BIOS setup? - needs to be on.

Regards

Pete

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 08:48:26 pm »
Looking at the T540P specs I think you are going to have a problem without USB 3/3.1 drivers unless there is some way in the UEFI bios to change the USB ports to USB 2 without using the USB 3/3.1 hardware.  If you can't do that then you need to pull the hard disk and clone a ArcaOS install from a machine that has USB 2 ports.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 09:04:04 pm »
Hello
You can install the airboot 114 and then try, with the installation.
If that fails you can download from the Dfsee, a FREEDOS with dfsee by usb.

Mo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 09:26:52 pm »
Hi Andi,

i recently had an issue where the AHCI controller was not properly supported and HDD was not recognized. Changing controller mode in BIOS from "AHCI" to "Compatible" solved this.

Regards

Mo

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 10:34:05 pm »
Hi

Here are the Blond Guy's report about the T540p. It may help.
http://www.blondeguy.com/computer/strobopeep.html

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2019, 03:15:29 am »
Please read the web page that Martin quoted above.

The T540p is an excellent choice for ArcaOS. But follow the advice in the article. Set the BIOS the way it says. And if you have a T540p with NVidia video, trade it in for one with Intel video.

Alternatively, just buy my T540p. :)
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2019, 09:54:47 am »
Thanks for all the replies. I've to work it through.

I try different things in parallel - adding ArcaOS to the installed SSD while preserving the W10 installation. And preparing a spare SSD with OS/2 - ArcaOS only at the same time. This spare SSD is dedicated to a new server I build but I'm testing it in the T540p too.

Neil, I don't know which video card is installed. But it is equipped with a 3k display. I never ever will buy anything below 1920x1200. HD resolution only, no chance ;-) Usually I can't work with less then 3840x1200 but our multi monitor setups are very limited :-( No clue if I ever get this 2880x1620 resolution working with OS/2. But I got this T540p for 385€ including the docking station and a second power supply. So I can't resist buying it.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2019, 01:26:58 pm »
Okay I've not a T540p which operates ArcaOS and W10 in parallel. I didn't get booting from ArcaOS install stick to work. Think I've tried booting from DVD too without success. But not sure anymore.

Anyway using a preinstalled eCS / OS/2 / ArcaOS works. The 'OS/2 is unable to operate your hard disk' most probably was caused by problematic partitioning of the inserted drive. Although I use dfsee running under OS/2 for almost all partitioning task it seems I've set up something wrong. Anyway after starting from scratch it works. I usually create at least on primary partition. Most of the times I create the IBM boot manager partition. Although for booting I use AirBoot afterwards. My usual disk layout includes at least two or three OS boot partitions, a programs partition, a data partition and a temp partition. Preparing the disk on another system and installing it into the T540p works. It even runs the display at 2880x1620 resolution :-).

Preinstalled W10 - I created a recovery stick for that before changing GPT to MBR. I did not find a way to preserve the partitions when converting to MBR so I deleted all and hoped the recovery stick will do his job afterwards. It didn't. I created the Windoze partitions with dfsee beside my OS/2 partitions. The recovery stick let me select the proper partition and starts to install and runs a long time until about 85%. But then it gave up. Tried a few times and all the Win startup problem determination tools without success. I can only guess the W10 won't recover cause I prohibited all internet access ;-) I gave up on installing W10 on the same drive as my OS/2 partitions and ordered a 120GB M2 SATA dedicated to W10. Now I've the full 250GB SSD for OS/2. W10 runs from the second hard disk in the M2 slot.

I downloaded a fresh W10 version from Microschrott website. Someone told me I should do this from an older non UEFI/GPT system. MS seems to prepare different W10 versions for different customers. From my OS/2 system I got a link for downloading 32 and 64 bit versions. I prepared partitions on the M2 SATA with dfsee on another system. Then I installed W10 to the T540p in the prepared partition. For safety reasons I get out the SSD with OS/2. After playing around a while and set up some important things (real shutdown, ...) I now wonder what I should do with this unloved toy. Putting back the SSD and now W10 works beside OS/2. Boot selection is done by AirBoot. That's enough for now.

Now I've to adapt my OS/2 for this system. Fonts and symbols are that small on this display. It's the first time I think I need bigger icons. LAN seems to work. USB mouse on docking station works. Let's see what else. Btw. the Win setting to increase all fonts to 150% isn't that bad.

Additional hints - I upgraded the BIOS to 2.37. Machine Type Model is 20BE0086GE
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 01:32:41 pm by Andi B. »

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2019, 04:05:11 pm »
With Holger's PMMERGE.DLL patch, you can change PM_SystemFonts -> DefaultFont without side effects, except for IBM's VIEW.EXE. (NewView is not affected.) Unfortunately WarpSans or Workplace Sans doesn't exist in such large sizes, but every enlargement should improve you situation.

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2019, 01:40:01 am »
Thanks for all the replies. I've to work it through.

I try different things in parallel - adding ArcaOS to the installed SSD while preserving the W10 installation.

I described a way for this here https://www.os2.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1417&p=12429&hilit=Thinkpad+25#p12429 that points to here https://evilazrael.de/content/windows-laufwerk-von-gpt-nach-mbr-konvertieren-für-truecrypt