Public Discussions > General Discussion

Yahoo Groups End of Life

<< < (5/5)

Doug Bissett:

--- Quote from: Rita Richason on November 18, 2019, 02:27:22 am ---
--- Quote from: Mathias on October 18, 2019, 09:55:08 am ---Closing down services won't make Yahoo any more popular. I wonder why they do that. What's yahoo for, these days anyway? Everybody does his searches with google or duckduckgo. Now groups are gone... so.. why not close down Yahoo for good?

Reading the latest promi news can be done elsewere too.. :>

--- End quote ---

That is a value judgement ("nobody uses Yahoo. Get rid of it"). Bandwidth is very expensive and we are only talking about 10-12 (unused) os2 groups.

--- End quote ---

It IS a "value judgement". I stopped using YAHOO (the whole site), years ago, simply because there was way too much advertising, and way too little content of any value. If you want people to use your services, make it worth the effort. Meanwhile, there are other options where we don't get spied on, and we don't have to put up with annoying advertising.

Thanks...

Losing YAHOO, is no great loss, IMO. Unfortunately, YAHOO will still exist, until the sheep smarten up, and abandon it. Many other sites deserve the same.

Dave Yeo:
There's still the ecs and ecs-tech lists that are somewhat active and using them as mailing lists avoids most of the advertising and bandwidth issues.
My understanding is they'll continue to work but for new people, it'll be a hassle to subscribe.

Martin Iturbide:
Hi

I don't know exactly what is going to happen with Yahoo Groups.

--- Quote ---Attention: Starting December 14, 2019 Yahoo Groups will no longer host user created content on its sites. New content can no longer be uploaded after October 28, 2019. Sending/Receiving email functionality is not going away, you can continue to communicate via any email client with your group members.
--- End quote ---
https://help.yahoo.com/kb/groups/SLN31010.html?impressions=true

I'm guessing that it will still be working as a regular mailing list. It seems that you will not longer be able to use the extra functions like File, pools, attachments, etc... but I'm not sure if the old ones will get deleted.

I had uploaded my backup on Archive.org just in case.
https://archive.org/details/yahoogroupsbackup20191029

Regards

Ben:
Is there any OS/2 based software that can do the same thing as Yahoo Groups for the OS/2+ based groups?

If such a thing exists then maybe someone can take up the mantle and we can move ourselves somewhat out of the control of the wims of corporations.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version