Author Topic: Yahoo Groups End of Life  (Read 21581 times)

RickCHodgin

Re: Yahoo Groups End of Life
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2019, 04:11:45 pm »
Hi.

Yahoo seems to give a little more time to the groups. They changes to message to block any new uploads content to Oct 28.

Attention: Starting December 14, 2019 Yahoo Groups will no longer host user created content on its sites. New content can no longer be uploaded after October 28, 2019. Sending/Receiving email functionality is not going away, you can continue to communicate via any email client with your group members.

I'm not sure if the groups are still going to work as a normal e-mail newsgroup, but just in case I want the backup.
The site https://yahoo.mydashboard.oath.com is still not providing me a backup, it ask me to keep waiting.

Any help using the Python script to download the data is welcome. I don't have python skills.
https://www.archiveteam.org/index.php?title=Yahoo!_Groups

Regards

There's a program called wget you can use to download website content from Linux / Unix.  I created a default Ubuntu OS in VirtualBox, went to the terminal, typed a few commands and retrieved website content locally.

wget can follow links in HTML and XHTML pages and create local versions of remote websites, fully recreating the directory structure of the original site, which is sometimes called "recursive downloading.'' While doing that, wget respects the Robot Exclusion Standard (robots.txt). wget can be instructed to convert the links in downloaded HTML files to the local files for offline viewing.

Code: [Select]
rick@rick-VirtualBox ~/ $ mkdir google
rick@rick-VirtualBox ~/ $ cd google
rick@rick-VirtualBox ~/google/ $ wget http://www.google.com

Saved:
* index.html, 12,494 bytes

Using wget on os2world.com:
Code: [Select]
rick@rick-VirtualBox ~/os2world/ $ wget -r http://www.os2world.com
rick@rick-VirtualBox ~/os2world/ $ cd www.os2world.com
rick@rick-VirtualBox ~/os2world/www.os2world.com $ ls -l
total 324
-rw-r--r-- 1 rick rick 20296 Nov  3 10:08 about-us.html
-rw-r--r-- 1 rick rick 29013 Nov  3 10:08 bounty-system.html
drwxr-xr-x 5 rick rick  4096 Nov  3 10:09 component
-rw-r--r-- 1 rick rick 21172 Nov  3 10:08 contact-us.html
-rw-r--r-- 1 rick rick 21746 Nov  3 10:08 faq.html
drwxr-xr-x 3 rick rick  4096 Nov  3 10:09 forum
-rw-r--r-- 1 rick rick 45771 Nov  3 10:08 index.html
-rw-r--r-- 1 rick rick 11049 Nov  3 10:08 index.html?format=feed&type=atom
-rw-r--r-- 1 rick rick  5448 Nov  3 10:08 index.html?format=feed&type=rss
-rw-r--r-- 1 rick rick 20128 Nov  3 10:08 links.html
-rw-r--r-- 1 rick rick 23058 Nov  3 10:08 past-activities.html
drwxr-xr-x 7 rick rick  4096 Nov  3 10:08 past-news
-rw-r--r-- 1 rick rick 20297 Nov  3 10:08 past-news.html
-rw-r--r-- 1 rick rick 27150 Nov  3 10:08 polls.html
-rw-r--r-- 1 rick rick   865 Feb  3  2013 robots.txt
-rw-r--r-- 1 rick rick 20040 Nov  3 10:08 services.html
-rw-r--r-- 1 rick rick 21684 Nov  3 10:08 sponsors.html
drwxr-xr-x 3 rick rick  4096 Nov  3 10:09 wiki

* Note:  I stopped it after a minute of downloading.  It would've kept going.

See if you can't use wget on anything you have access to.  You may be able to mirror the content exactly as it was this way by hosting it on your website.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 04:16:18 pm by Rick C. Hodgin »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2019, 05:06:54 pm »
*) I've installed ImportExportTool 3.3.2 as add-on to my SM2.42.9. for other reasons. But it's handy to have it for this yahoo group messages too. No clue if you can import such MBOX files without this add-on.

There's a couple of MBOX variants, it's hard to say without testing whether they're compatible.
Going by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mbox#Modified_mbox it's likely the ImportExportTool is needed.

I also got the email quoted by Eugene where it sounds like the mailing lists will live on but I guess being able to search an archive won't

Pete2

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2019, 08:20:57 pm »
There's a program called wget you can use to download website content from Linux / Unix.  I created a default Ubuntu OS in VirtualBox, went to the terminal, typed a few commands and retrieved website content locally.

You can find wget for OS/2 on (e.g.) Hobbes.  :)

RickCHodgin

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2019, 12:47:26 am »
You can find wget for OS/2 on (e.g.) Hobbes.  :)

wget 1.14 for OS/2 uploaded by Lewis Rosenthal.  Requires libc065.dll, gcc446.dll, tcpip32.dll.

Other versions

Rita Richason

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2019, 02:27:22 am »
Closing down services won't make Yahoo any more popular. I wonder why they do that. What's yahoo for, these days anyway? Everybody does his searches with google or duckduckgo. Now groups are gone... so.. why not close down Yahoo for good?

Reading the latest promi news can be done elsewere too.. :>

That is a value judgement ("nobody uses Yahoo. Get rid of it"). Bandwidth is very expensive and we are only talking about 10-12 (unused) os2 groups.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2019, 07:55:39 pm »
Closing down services won't make Yahoo any more popular. I wonder why they do that. What's yahoo for, these days anyway? Everybody does his searches with google or duckduckgo. Now groups are gone... so.. why not close down Yahoo for good?

Reading the latest promi news can be done elsewere too.. :>

That is a value judgement ("nobody uses Yahoo. Get rid of it"). Bandwidth is very expensive and we are only talking about 10-12 (unused) os2 groups.

It IS a "value judgement". I stopped using YAHOO (the whole site), years ago, simply because there was way too much advertising, and way too little content of any value. If you want people to use your services, make it worth the effort. Meanwhile, there are other options where we don't get spied on, and we don't have to put up with annoying advertising.

Thanks...

Losing YAHOO, is no great loss, IMO. Unfortunately, YAHOO will still exist, until the sheep smarten up, and abandon it. Many other sites deserve the same.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2019, 10:30:39 pm »
There's still the ecs and ecs-tech lists that are somewhat active and using them as mailing lists avoids most of the advertising and bandwidth issues.
My understanding is they'll continue to work but for new people, it'll be a hassle to subscribe.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2019, 02:50:29 pm »
Hi

I don't know exactly what is going to happen with Yahoo Groups.
Attention: Starting December 14, 2019 Yahoo Groups will no longer host user created content on its sites. New content can no longer be uploaded after October 28, 2019. Sending/Receiving email functionality is not going away, you can continue to communicate via any email client with your group members.
https://help.yahoo.com/kb/groups/SLN31010.html?impressions=true

I'm guessing that it will still be working as a regular mailing list. It seems that you will not longer be able to use the extra functions like File, pools, attachments, etc... but I'm not sure if the old ones will get deleted.

I had uploaded my backup on Archive.org just in case.
https://archive.org/details/yahoogroupsbackup20191029

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Ben

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2019, 03:55:14 pm »
Is there any OS/2 based software that can do the same thing as Yahoo Groups for the OS/2+ based groups?

If such a thing exists then maybe someone can take up the mantle and we can move ourselves somewhat out of the control of the wims of corporations.