Author Topic: Help Wanted! - OS2World Wiki  (Read 30391 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Help Wanted! - OS2World Wiki
« on: October 29, 2013, 04:41:26 pm »
Hi.

I will like to request help, any kind of help, on the OS2World Wiki.

I'm currently trying to bring more content to the OS2World Wiki, it can be from OS/2 software description, to hardware reviews, to complete articles, or just by surfing the wiki and fixing some typos.

To access the OS2World.com/wiki anybody that is registered to this forum, with the same userid and password can connect and collaborate to the wiki.

It does not matter if you have only one minutes at week or more time. For example in the wiki you can collaborate on your free time without problem.

Just remember that if you want to republish something from other author, you need his approval to release the content under the Creative Commons Share Alike license.

If anybody is interested please let me know.

Martin
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Help Wanted! - OS2World Wiki
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 08:48:22 pm »
For example...

....you can add a page for you favorite OS/2-eCS software on the wiki.

Just search for it on the OS2World.com/wiki. It there is not a page created, you can click on the name (red text) to create a new page.

After that a new page will show up and you can put something with the following headings:

Code: [Select]
==Description==

==Download==

==License==

==Author==

[[Category:Software]]

The category is important so we can link the page, but do not worry, if something goes wrong we can fix it very easily.

Regards
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 08:50:39 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

jdeb

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 09:31:10 pm »
I will add some hardware, more modern stuff. I will poke around a little when I get some time, I am sure I can help out some. I can probably help fill in some gaps on the software side.

I am traveling for the rest of the week so I have limited internet access. Got a lot of hardware going in this week.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 09:34:38 pm by jdeb »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 01:34:13 pm »
Thanks.

Create some pages, add some text and we will see how it evolves.

Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

gamba

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 08:51:25 pm »
Hi Martin,

I just created a page as experiment:

http://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/FTPBrowser

Two questions:

1) is there a wiki command to show a thumbnail instead of the full size uploaded image?
2) Would be very important for me being able to add an Italian version of the above page. Is it feasible?

Gabriele

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 01:49:55 am »
Hi.

1) It is possible, I just changed that with [[image:ftpbrowser.png|400px]] for example.

2) There is no problem creating a page in Italian, what about naming the new page "FTP Browser (Italian)" ? Any best suggestions?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

gamba

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 10:42:38 am »
Hi Martin,

that name would be fine, but what about the link to the not-English page? Would it be possible having something in "Wikipedia" style, with a "Languages" menu somewhere? I guess they are named interlanguage links (http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Interlanguage_links ).
I don't know how hard would be to implement such solution, but it could convince more people (I would be the first) to contribute to OS2world.com, also in languages other than English.

Thanks
Gabriele

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 01:00:15 pm »
Let me check on that. It looks like I will have to make more modifications to MediaWiki for that and it is going to take me some time.

If you want to start with the xxx (Italian) go ahead, while I see if I can implement that.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

gamba

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 05:25:25 pm »
Italian translation of FTP Browser page added! It is not clear to me the organization of http://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Software page.
With the page organized in this way, FTP Browser would be indexed in one place and, for example, NcFTP in another: unpractical, I think, for people who are just looking for FTP clients...

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 10:19:20 pm »
The "http://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Software" is still "work at progress".

I just changed it a little bit. I'm leaving the "blue boxes" with the software category and at the end the list.  I removed the "software by author lists".
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 10:23:28 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

gamba

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 10:30:09 pm »
Let's say I add "Internet" category: I could list FTB Browser there, but not Firefox or Thunderbird, as they are not closed source programs.
It is mostly the "Closed source software" header that puzzles me...

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 04:05:56 am »
I'm open to suggestions. I was only setting one category for "Software" and listing inside it the different types of software on the tables.  But I also wanted to divide the close source software from the open source one, thats why I have it divided this way.

But i think that the most important thing is to keep creating articles, after that we can arrange it like we want to.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

djcaetano

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 11:43:28 am »
I'm open to suggestions. I was only setting one category for "Software" and listing inside it the different types of software on the tables.  But I also wanted to divide the close source software from the open source one, thats why I have it divided this way.

I understand the desire to clearly identify closed/open source software but I believe dividing software into several groups with the same internal categories would be frustrating from the user point of view.
  What about using different font families or colors for open x closed source software names? Or even a small bullet... dark red could be used for closed source/abandonware, dark blue for closed source/freeware and dark green for open source software.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 01:33:21 pm »
Hi Daniel

I agreed that it will be nice to show all software (open of close) on one single view.  But I think that maybe the color and font change can be too light to different it.

What about putting a tablet inside the Category? Check for example the XXXX category: http://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Software#xxxxxxx

I also think that the subcategories that Gabriele is putting together are also interesting and the changes he is making are in good direction.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2013, 02:12:06 pm »
I also tried the colors. It seems that on a table, it is too much code for my taste :)

==<h3 id="sec-col1-1" style="margin:3px; background:#cedff2; font-size:120%; font-weight:bold; border:1px solid #a3b0bf; text-align:left; color:#000; padding:0.2em 0.4em;">xxxxxxx</h3>==
{| class="wikitable" border="1"
|-
!Name!!License!!Author
|-
|<span style="color:green">[[XXX for OS/2]]</span>||<span style="color:green">Open Source GNU GPL</span>|| <span style="color:green">John Doe</span>
|-
|<span style="color: red;">[[Other App]]</span>||<span style="color:red">Abandonware - Commercial</span>|| <span style="color:red">Jane Doe</span>
|-
|<span style="color: blue;">[[Third App]]</span>|| <span style="color:blue">Commercial </span>||<span style="color:blue">Jane Doe</span>
|-
|}

I need to check if there is a better way to color fonts on MediaWiki.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster