Author Topic: Installing HPFS386 on ArcaOS  (Read 11255 times)

Glenn

• View Profile
Installing HPFS386 on ArcaOS
« on: October 25, 2019, 08:34:21 pm »
Hi,

I've been trying to install HPFS386 (with the same installer I used in eCS years ago) on ArcaOS, to use on a small partition dedicated to old programs that do not like JFS or even HPFS>2Gb, but I get the following message:
"SYS1804: The system cannot find the file RLANUTIL."

That's an error I never got on eCS where HPFS386 install worked every time I needed to reinstall my system. Strangely, if I look for an RLANUTIL.DLL on eCS, I also don't find that file.

Anyone would know how to make it work?

Thanks!

A.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
Re: Installing HPFS386 on ArcaOS
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 08:48:15 pm »
Hi Glenn,

I used to run HPFS386 for years, moved to JFS since but still have everything in-place to make it work.

Alright, so a quick search for that DLL produced the following:

Code: [Select]
Directory of G:\CID\LOCINSTU

10-25-01   5:16p     54373           0  RLANUTIL.DLL
        1 file(s)      54373 bytes used

Directory of G:\IBMINST

10-25-01   5:16p     54373           0  RLANUTIL.DLL
        1 file(s)      54373 bytes used

...and BLDLEVEL on that DLL gives me:

Code: [Select]
Build Level Display Facility Version 6.12.675 Sep 25 2001
(C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1993-2001
Signature:       @#IBM:53.33#@##1##Thu Oct 25 17:16:18 2001 BWBLD207:        :::
::IP_8605@@Copyright (c) IBM, 2001
Vendor:          IBM
Revision:        53.33
Date/Time:      Thu Oct 25 17:16:18 2001
Build Machine:  BWBLD207
ASD Feature ID:
FixPak Version:  IP_8605
File Version:    53.33
Description:     Copyright (c) IBM, 2001

So it would appear to be a genuine part of the IBM HPFS386 fixpaks, here is what I show for both:
1) IP8605H.TXT
IBM OS/2 Warp Server for e-business Fix Pack IP_8605H (HPFS386 Only) All Countries

2) IP8605.TXT
IBM OS/2 Warp Server for e-business Fix Pack IP08605 US-English

I have both of them available as *.xDK files, if you want them, or just the DLL itself let me know how I can get it your way.

Glenn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 09:47:42 pm »
Hi Darius, thanks for pointing out the CID directory. I have no CID or IBMINST directory on my ArcaOS or eCS install, but I did find a CID directory on the eCS 1.2R CD; the DLL has the same buildlevel as yours. Now I probably need to have that LOCINSTU folder somewhere on the libpath before I check again the HPFS386 install.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 10:23:17 pm »
...Now I probably need to have that LOCINSTU folder somewhere on the libpath before I check again the HPFS386 install...

I have the G:\IBMINST in my LIBPATH, the LOCINSTU direcotry does not show up anywhere else in my CONFIG.SYS.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 11:26:02 pm »
Hi

Sorry to jump on the thread with more questions. I'm curious to know which programs depends on HPFS386, just to have those written down on the wiki.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 01:35:02 am »
ArcaOS does not install the IBMINST directory, which the default HPFS386 install front-end requires (it also requires Netscape Communicator with the Feature Install plugin, which are only installed if you selected certain options).

You can still install HPFS386 by any of these methods:

(3) should be the easiest unless you know your way around Feature Installer.

Glenn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 02:45:34 am »
Hi Alex,

I tried your installation tool (which looks nice!) but ended up with a "This installation was not successful. The return code is 0x0816" and a VX-REXX error console message (appearing twice): "CLI0057: ERROR occurred: please check the error.log or the file specified by /l1:" (I could not find an error.log in the temporary folder where I placed your installation tool).

Any idea of what this error is about?

Glenn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 10:17:56 am »
Hi

Sorry to jump on the thread with more questions. I'm curious to know which programs depends on HPFS386, just to have those written down on the wiki.

Regards

Hi Martin,

I do not know of any program that relies on HPFS386 in particular, but a few programs do not like partitions larger than 2GB.

To get a partition with reported free space smaller than 2GB, either create one, or create one larger than 2GB and use something like "spacehog" (on hobbes); however, I am not sure that spacehog works with JFS so I prefer sticking to HPFS, and, in this case, switch to HPFS386 to have a bit better performance...

Now what programs don't like more than 2GB of free space? An example are the old dictionaries by Dux (AHD, Concise Columbia Encyclopaedia) which do not install at all if the TEMP folder is on a partition with more than 2GB of free space.

Now that does not mean they will work once installed (I should open a new thread about that, or about programs whose installers does not seem to work anymore, if there is any interest: AHD never starts, apparently something due to PMMERGE.DLL when I look at the popuplog.os2, and Dux shows a window which immediately hangs and necessitates a desktop reboot to get off the screen), but at least they do get installed. Both rely on the IBM-type installer (the same type of installer as Desktop On-Call, HobLink, MFS, etc.).

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2019, 08:48:56 pm »
Hi Glenn

This page seems to go about things without bothering with the installer so may be a "work around" for installer problems http://asavage.dyndns.org/OS2/Warp4Install/HPFS386.html

Regards

Pete

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2019, 04:10:08 am »
I tried your installation tool (which looks nice!) but ended up with a "This installation was not successful. The return code is 0x0816" and a VX-REXX error console message (appearing twice): "CLI0057: ERROR occurred: please check the error.log or the file specified by /l1:" (I could not find an error.log in the temporary folder where I placed your installation tool).

Any idea of what this error is about?

That's odd. 0x816 indicates an unspecified system error occurred. Beyond that I don't know. The log may tell you more; it's probably in wherever your %LOGFILES% directory is.

Glenn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2019, 01:38:53 am »
That's odd. 0x816 indicates an unspecified system error occurred. Beyond that I don't know. The log may tell you more; it's probably in wherever your %LOGFILES% directory is.

The log file puts me on the right track, I think:
HPFS386_Top :: ERROR: Failed to create directory: ERROR:\IBMLAN\NETPROG

ArcaOS does not have an IBMLAN folder.. Creating an empty IBMLAN folder does not solve the problem, it seems like the program does not pick up the drive letter for IBMLAN.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 01:48:01 am by Glenn »

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2019, 08:23:16 am »
Hi Glenn

A copy'n'paste from the url above which may be of help:-

Edit CONFIG.sys:
    Place a 'REM' in front of IFS=E:\OS2\HPFS.IFS
    Add IFS=x:\IBM386FS\HPFS386.IFS /A:* /AU
    Add x:\IBMLAN\NETPROG; to LIBPATH
    Add x:\IBMLAN\NETPROG; to DPATH
    Add x:\IBMLAN\NETPROG; to HELP
    Add RUN=x:\ibmlan\netprog\cache386.exe

That last line is absolutely required if you have Peer Networking installed.
(Reference: http://duanec.indelible-blue.com/wsonw4/0000c416.htm)

If you do not add this line to your CONFIG.SYS, you will get the following error whenever you start the File and Print server:

Net 3091: the CACHE386.exe is not running,
                   The server cannot be started.

You can start CACHE386.EXE manually from a command prompt. However, it is recommended that you edit the CONFIG.SYS and add the above statement.

Edit x:\IBM386FS\HPFS386.ini:
    Edit "lanroot = x:\IBMLAN" to match your install drive.
    Edit "cachesize = 32000" (or whatever the number is) to match your desires.
There are a bunch of other parameters you can reset as well.  Don't, unless you think you know what you're doing.

Regards

Pete

Glenn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2019, 03:40:43 am »
    Add x:\IBMLAN\NETPROG; to LIBPATH
    Add x:\IBMLAN\NETPROG; to DPATH
    Add x:\IBMLAN\NETPROG; to HELP
    Add RUN=x:\ibmlan\netprog\cache386.exe

Edit "lanroot = x:\IBMLAN" to match your install drive.

Thanks Pete for the link above, and these comments. My worry is about that IBMLAN folder. It might be possible to:
- install HPFS386 with an empty IBMLAN folder; or
- to copy the full IBMLAN folder from another OS to ArcaOS root

In the first case, my question is if there is any reliance of HPFS386 to files in that folder. Given that this folder is not present in ArcaOS, if any part of HPFS386 relies on what is in that folder, I fear that this could cause some trouble.
In the second case, my question would be about the DPATH and LIBPATH statements. If ArcaOS removed that folder, I suppose that the functionalities have been implemented another way. Would there be any conflict between the IBMLAN libraries and those used by ArcaOS?

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2019, 04:56:31 am »
Hi Glenn

From your missing IBMLAN directory I would guess that you opted for the samba networking setup instead of IBM File and Print Client.

I would not install File and Print Client but would follow the instructions from the Al Savage webpage that state:-

On the W4 box, if you do not have File & Print Services ("Peer Networking") installed, create:
    x:\IBMLAN
On the W4 box, create:
    x:\IBMLAN\NETPROG
Copy these files from WSA box's x:\IBMLAN\NETPROG dir to the W4 box:
    CACHE386.exe
    CACH.msg
    CAC.msg

Seems to me that the requirement for the IBMLAN directory could be simply a case of HPFS386 is hard-coded to find some files in that directory tree.

I think you have to "suck it and see" but Al Savage usually knows what he is talking about so follow the instructions carefully and all *should* work OK.

Have fun  :-)

Pete

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2019, 04:43:07 pm »
Finally managed to dig out my old WSeB HPFS386 CD and dig into the FS386.RSP file.

It looks like it needs to install several files to \IBMLAN\NETPROG, \IBMLAN\NETLIB, and \IBMLAN\INSTALL.  Rather stupidly, it doesn't define these paths as variables but rather has them statically defined. 

If you create those three directories, the install might work.  (Presumably I only ever tested my installer on systems with File and Print Client or LAN Server installed - which was, I suppose, a reasonable assumption at the time, especially considering the use cases IBM intended HPFS386 for.)

There may be other hidden dependencies I didn't see in my brief inspection.  To be foolproof, you could always install File and Print Client. :)