Author Topic: GIMP & Xsane  (Read 5546 times)

Devid

• View Profile
GIMP & Xsane
« on: November 01, 2019, 05:37:53 pm »
Hi.
For my purpose I looked for installing GIMP 2.2.8 & xsane. The X11 server is HOBLink.
When I install the gimp-libs WPI package if I overwrite pango & fontconfig files, gimp & xsane work correctly; but ANPM & firefox give me some strange error and they don't work anymore (it seems to be due to some python error).
If instead I don't overwrite those package, Gimp & xsane give me some error about fontconfig and don't start.
Someone knows a solution?

Regards

ivan

• View Profile
Re: GIMP & Xsane
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 06:23:18 pm »
Have you tried putting pango and fontconfig from the WPI into the GIMP directory and leave the ones from ANPM alone.  It sound like the newer versions are not backward compatable which should be a no no.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 10:59:17 pm »
Probably there are DLL built with the same name with different compilers & runtime libraries (emx vs libc)...

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 11:48:40 pm »
Probably there are DLL built with the same name with different compilers & runtime libraries (emx vs libc)...

Yes, the X11 fontconfig and pango (don't remember a pango.dll in X)are built with EMX. Just put them somewhere and use LIBPATHSTRICT=T and BEGINLIBPATH to load them instead of the RPM versions.
Gimp runs fine here under X11, my HobLink only works under Warp V4, complaining about the license if running it under eCS or ArcaOS.

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 05:17:03 pm »
Dave,

Hoblink was bundled in ECS as part of ECS, e.g. free - I don't remember the version of ECS but I do remember finding it a few months ago when looking through ECS CDs. The readme for it says it is version 3.5.

The one I have installed runs fine on AOS.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 05:38:31 pm »
Dave,

Hoblink was bundled in ECS as part of ECS, e.g. free - I don't remember the version of ECS but I do remember finding it a few months ago when looking through ECS CDs. The readme for it says it is version 3.5.

The one I have installed runs fine on AOS.

I never owned eCS until ver 2.1 which did not have hoblink. IIRC, it was given out freely at the end by Hob or whatever the company name was and I installed it under Warp V4 where it runs fine. Trying to run it under ArcaOS results in a popup saying I have an illegal copy and to reinstall but the original archive is lost.
I do have Xfree/2 running so can use gimp.

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2019, 09:25:02 pm »
Dave,

My memory of Hoblink being made available for free after it was discontinued is the same as yours. Same as BlueCad, Embellish, and some other programs.

Try hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/system/x11/ux1135.zip

That installs and runs ok on AOS and ECS.