Author Topic: Problem with Win 7 and ArcaOS 5.3 installation  (Read 5301 times)

warp4dennis

Problem with Win 7 and ArcaOS 5.3 installation
« on: November 15, 2019, 02:28:31 pm »
In the beginning I divided up the HDD with 5 partitions.
The first Partition (C:) was saved for Win 7.
Partition #2 was about 50MB big and was to be used for moving files from one OS to the other.
Partition #3 - #5 was for ArcaOS 5.3, and it was installed there.
A Partition Manager was also installed.
After ArcaOS was installed, I next turned my attention to Win 7.
I installed Win 7 in Partition #1 (C:).  And it ran.
But now the Boot Manager doesn't start.
When I turn on the Laptop, it goes directly to Win 7 and tries to load, but can't becasuse
the Laptop S/W is no longer found on the HDD.
It appears as if Win 7 has done something to cause the drivers to go missing.
Does anybody have any suggestions on how I should go about solving this problem?
Would a new Installation using ArcaOS 5.4 be of any help?

Thomas M.

• View Profile
Re: Problem with Win 7 and ArcaOS 5.3 installation
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 02:38:10 pm »
You have to start the ArcaOS- Installation again until you have the choice to do a service on your partitions. There you have to activate the Bootmanager and start your machine again.
Thomas

Mathias

• using ArcaOS
    • View Profile
    • IRC
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 11:01:48 pm »
like ThomasM said.

And.. always install Windows first, then everything else. It`s a well known fact, that Windows likes to overwrite the boot sector and only sets up Microsoft operating systems in it`s own boot manager.

You have two choises now:
Either install AirBoot yourself (yes can be downloaded)
or boot the AraOS installer again, and enter maintenance mode there. You can set up Air Boot from there too.

Joseph M. Kempf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 03:24:55 pm »
Thomas:

I take it you are trying to set up dual boot on a large HDD or SSD, a task that I've found frustrating.  Your opening post suggests you have started off well, you made your drive a Master Boot Record (MBR) drive.  That's not just a good start, it is a necessary start.  ArcaOS, eCS and OS/2 currently must be installed on a MBR drive so you will need to install Windows on a MBR drive if you want dual boot Windows 7 and ArcaOS.  However, when I have installed Windows in the same order as you I get similar problems.

Here is my work-arrouund:
  • Use two HDDs or SDDs, your large dual-boot drive and a smaller drive,  The size of the smaller drive should at least be as large as the size of  the partition onto which you plan to install Windows on the dual-boot drive;
  • Set-up both drives asMBR drives
  • Install ArcaOS in a logical volume at the end of your large HDD, but leave free space in the front of your large HDD that will be large enough for your planned Windows 7 partition (plan to make the Windows 7 partition a primary partition);
  • Install Windows 7 on the smaller MBR drive;
  • Note the size off the two primary partitions Windows 7 sets up on your smaller MBR drive.  You will only need the large partition if you make it directly bootable;
  • Next, you "must install the windows boot support to the C: drive, so that it can boot, without using the hidden partition.
            Open a Command line, by selecting Start-> All programs-> Accessories-> RMB click on the Command Prompt item-> Click on Run as administrator. The command line should open.
            Type the command:

bcdboot c:\windows /s c:

It should install successfully";
  • Test this partition on the smaller HDD
  • Creat a primary partition in the free space in the front of your larger HDD, a partition that is slightly larger that the Windows 7 partition on your smaller HDD;
  • Use DFSee to clone Windows 7 partition from the smaller HDD to into the new new empty partition your large HDD.  Be sure you clone the Windows7 partition not the whole drive.
  • Use the ArcaOS installation/maintenance DVD to reinstall MBR on your larger HDD;
  • Boot up AIR Boot, select and boot up your Windows 7 partition and you should be set -to-go.]
Read this wiki for a more comprehensive information:

https://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/How_to_tame_Win_7_%28written_for_eCS_2.0%29

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 06:57:55 pm »
Strange as it may seem I had no problem installing both win 7 and ArcOS on a 2 TB drive.  Yes, I did make the partitions with DFSee first which, for me, appears to be the main requirement.

The big problem I have is that AirBoot menu does not show up so I have to time when to select the win 7 partition to boot which means that I hardly ever boot win 7 now (no great loss).

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 07:41:05 pm »
Read this wiki for a more comprehensive information:

https://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/How_to_tame_Win_7_%28written_for_eCS_2.0%29

Actually, that info is very old, and some of it is no longer correct. While the rest of your instructions will probably work (eventually), it is much easier to follow the instructions in the README files, in the root of the ArcaOS installer DVD.

It is not necessary to install windows first, but installing windows will overwrite the MBR, including AirBoot. If you are still using the antique Boot Manager, it will change the boot pointer so that it boots windows. The fix is to boot the ArcaOS installer, go to the System Management menu, under Disk, select Manage Volumes (Graphical), and redo the Air Boot installation. Only use Boot Manager, when Air Boot will not work (I have one old machine where that is true).

Yes, I did make the partitions with DFSee first which, for me, appears to be the main requirement.

DFSEE will work, as long as it is running under OS/2. It will do it wrong if you are running under any other operating system. I highly recommend using the tools in ArcaOS to partition any (physical) drive that OS/2 will use. That means ALL of the partitions, not just what OS/2 will use. Depending on the original disk setup, you may need to wipe the drive first (probably a good idea anyway, just to be sure that it configures properly).

Then, make sure that no other partitioning tool ever touches any of it, or you will likely have problems.

The big problem I have is that AirBoot menu does not show up so I have to time when to select the win 7 partition to boot which means that I hardly ever boot win 7 now (no great loss).

I thought that problem was resolved. If not, please follow up at Arca Noae (IF you have a current subscription).