Author Topic: Trying to solve server crash  (Read 22993 times)

Ben

Re: Trying to solve server crash
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2019, 03:53:20 pm »
I removed logdaem.exe from the CONFIG.SYS and it made no difference.

However, I did uninstall XFolder and the server has now been running for a day and half without a crash. I find that very odd since for as I said in a  previous post, it ran for about a month installed without incident.

I like the enhancements that XFolder adds and I'm reluctant to do without it, but it things are not stable with it then I may well have no choice, but to keep it off the system.

Grrrr..

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2019, 04:00:51 pm »
Do you really use the ancient XFolder? Why not XWorkplace? Isn't XFolder the forerunner of XWP or do I mix up things?

Ben

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2019, 04:32:40 pm »
XFolder / XWorkplace; it's the same thing.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2019, 10:34:44 am »
XFolder is about 15 years older than XWP. It's up to you if you think the changes/improvements/fixes are not related to your problem. But as you stated XFolder was the only thing you changed it's a valuable guess to think about this software IMO. I fear it's to much to ask which version of XFolder (or XWP?) you've installed.

Ben

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2019, 01:34:24 pm »
As I said, (and as most people here know), XWorkplace is XFolder renamed; the two names are often used interchangeably.

The latest version of it is 1-0-13b1.

Normally, I do not use it on my servers because it does cause instability there where the machine is stressed.

However, I tried version *.12, (first time in a long while), when it was released in hope that it would not cause the same issues; it did, so I removed it.

When *.13b1 came out I gave that one a try. Oddly, it remained stable up until a week ago. I uninstalled it 2/3 days ago and I haven't had a lockup since, the server running continuously and smooth. Whether something I updated after installing version *.13b1 triggered it to misbehave or not I do not know. I do know that I would rather have it than not, but server stablity is of paramount importance and takes presidence over all else.

I do not have issues with stability while using it on any of my other OS/2 based machines, but none of them work so hard as the server and I have always had issues of stability while using it once installed, on every version of every server that I have ever had since the 90s. I test later versions every now and again to see if that has changed; so far is hasn't. Too bad.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2019, 05:03:56 pm »
As I said, (and as most people here know), XWorkplace is XFolder renamed; the two names are often used interchangeably.

Well, modern XWorkplace is certainly NOT the predecessor XFolder, and the names should NOT be used interchangeably. That is confusing, at best.

I test later versions every now and again to see if that has changed; so far is hasn't.

It has changed, for the better, but only parts of it have been updated (mostly XCenter). Other parts are still somewhat unstable, under some conditions. That is one of the main reasons to have the limited function (lite) versions (eWorkplace, for eCS, and the Arca Noae lite version). They omitted the most troublesome parts. It has been my experience, that just having XWP lite installed really doesn't cause instability. Using XWP lite, on my main machine, does cause problems, unless I clean my INI files (cleanini, and FPOS), every couple of weeks (which also includes a reboot). How often you need to do that, depends on exactly how you use the machine. A server, where you don't use the desktop much, is probably good for much longer than a machine where you use the desktop every day. Sometimes, I clean the INI files more often, if the machine starts to do strange things. It usually restores stability, and if not, I go looking for other things.

XWP is a wonderful add on, for OS/2. It adds a lot of desktop function that plain OS/2 does not have, However, as with all software, it always has ways to cause trouble. Overall, I find it worth the effort, for machines where I use the desktop. On a server, where you would rarely use the desktop, it may not be worthwhile.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2019, 06:26:18 pm »
I disagree that the problem is the Xwp 13. For me the problem is in acpidaemon.exe.
This does not mean that what you have done is the right thing, and I would have done the same.
From my point of view, acpidaemon.exe balances the processes so that some applications or others are better executed. And he does it wrong. In fact it has an option of possible configuration, acpid.cfg, which is a fool fools.
This acpid.cfg, only allows you to configure it to what is most important to you and that works for you.
I explain myself better;
When the processors work like this, type A
No. of CPUs: 8
CPU 1 - Busy: 99.6%, Interrupt: 0.4%, Idle: 0.0%
CPU 2 - Busy: 100.0%, Interrupt: 0.0%, Idle: 0.0%
CPU 3 - Busy: 100.0%, Interrupt: 0.0%, Idle: 0.0%
CPU 4 - Busy: 100.0%, Interrupt: 0.0%, Idle: 0.0%
CPU 5 - Busy: 100.0%, Interrupt: 0.0%, Idle: 0.0%
CPU 6 - Busy: 100.0%, Interrupt: 0.0%, Idle: 0.0%
CPU 7 - Busy: 100.0%, Interrupt: 0.0%, Idle: 0.0%
CPU 8 - Busy: 100.0%, Interrupt: 0.0%, Idle: 0.0%
Some programs work fine without problems. Truespectra, Manhjon approx 10 to 20%

When processors work like this, type B

CPU 1 - Busy: 0.0%, Interrupt: 0.4%, Idle: 99.6%
CPU 2 - Busy: 0.1%, Interrupt: 0.0%, Idle: 99.9%
CPU 3 - Busy: 12.7%, Interrupt: 0.0%, Idle: 87.3%
CPU 4 - Busy: 4.2%, Interrupt: 0.0%, Idle: 95.8%
CPU 5 - Busy: 0.0%, Interrupt: 0.0%, Idle: 100.0%
CPU 6 - Busy: 0.0%, Interrupt: 0.0%, Idle: 100.0%
CPU 7 - Busy: 29.7%, Interrupt: 0.0%, Idle: 70.3%
CPU 8 - Busy: 84.2%, Interrupt: 0.0%, Idle: 15.8%
Other programs work fine without problems, dbexpert, youtube, approximately 80%

What I mean is that with acpidaemon, I can make some type A programs work well, or those of type B work well, but never all at once. Although not all computers are the same, and the behavior on some computers might seem to work at both ends, but when you have programs at both ends that give problems, you realize that you don't.

So what I do is kill the acpidaemon, and I make sure that type B programs work well for me.
Losing those of type A.
Now I'm waiting to be able to execute those of type A.
What I do is create a virtual disk in ram like HPFS this is important in jfs it doesn't work.
I create a folder that contains a lot of files, from 10,000 to 90000 files. And I delete them with another program rm.exe -r g: \ aaa-testfiles000 as part of dtbackup.zip
While the files are deleted, programs of type A can be executed without problems, and most importantly without stressing the equipment, without acpidaemon, and with xwp13 everything perfect.
The greater the number of files I have more seconds for the tests.

https://www.tavi.co.uk/os2pages/utils/dtbackup.zip

The version [C: \] rm --version
rm (GNU coreutils) 8.26 that is in arcaos504 does not work.

Version 5.00 of the rm.exe if it works fine, I think it is slower.
I have the trash configured as delete everything.

All this is an idea that is very green, but I get the feeling that with certain applications running, they help others to behave in one way or another. As a catalyst.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2019, 07:03:02 pm »
Does the machine actually have 8 processors, or is it 4 processors with Hyper Threading enabled? Hyper Threading is known to be very unfriendly to OS/2, and very often it will cause hangs, and other bad things, because it screws up the much more efficient OS/2 threading model.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2019, 07:59:35 pm »
Very good observation Doug. In the previous notebook that gave me a lot of war. But in this notebook, it is the same to have it marked than unchecked the HT. I have it marked ON. Thanks.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2019, 08:11:31 pm »
I have it marked ON.

I assume this means that you have Hyper Threading enabled. Disable it. It makes a slight improvement with windows. It causes nothing but trouble with OS/2, and most other operating systems.

Ben

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2019, 02:27:17 am »

Well, modern XWorkplace is certainly NOT the predecessor XFolder, and the names should NOT be used interchangeably. That is confusing, at best.

Correct Doug; Xfolder is the predecessor to XWorkplace, (not the other way around), which was picked up after Ulrich moved away from OS/2.

I test later versions every now and again to see if that has changed; so far is hasn't.

It has changed, for the better, but only parts of it have been updated (mostly XCenter). Other parts are still somewhat unstable, under some conditions. That is one of the main reasons to have the limited function (lite) versions (eWorkplace, for eCS, and the Arca Noae lite version). They omitted the most troublesome parts. It has been my experience, that just having XWP lite installed really doesn't cause instability. Using XWP lite, on my main machine, does cause problems, unless I clean my INI files (cleanini, and FPOS), every couple of weeks (which also includes a reboot). How often you need to do that, depends on exactly how you use the machine. A server, where you don't use the desktop much, is probably good for much longer than a machine where you use the desktop every day. Sometimes, I clean the INI files more often, if the machine starts to do strange things. It usually restores stability, and if not, I go looking for other things.

XWP is a wonderful add on, for OS/2. It adds a lot of desktop function that plain OS/2 does not have, However, as with all software, it always has ways to cause trouble. Overall, I find it worth the effort, for machines where I use the desktop. On a server, where you would rarely use the desktop, it may not be worthwhile.

Is XWP Lite being updated still? If so, I wouldn't mind giving that a try.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2019, 03:27:22 am »
Is XWP Lite being updated still? If so, I wouldn't mind giving that a try

It is at HOBBES. v10.13 isn't there, yet, but v10.12 is: http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/apps/wps/xworkplace/xwp-1-0-12-lite-en.exe. Other languages are also there.

AFAIK, only XCenter has been modified in XWP 10.13. It will probably be placed at HOBBES, when Rich Walsh gets around to doing it (he did the changes).

Ben

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2019, 01:13:23 pm »
Excellent!

I shall down load it and give it a go.

Thanks for the heads up.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2019, 02:51:37 pm »
Correct Doug; Xfolder is the predecessor to XWorkplace, (not the other way around), which was picked up after Ulrich moved away from OS/2.
XFolder was renamed to XWorkplace in 1999. Yes it's more than 20 years ago now. In Nov. 1999 Ulrich released the first version of XWorkplace. He worked and improved XWP at least until 2004. After that others contributed a lot. Mostly bug fixes.

I can not speak for the 'most people here' but IMO these statements are very ignorant and misleading.

Ben

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2019, 03:50:37 pm »
I can not speak for the 'most people here' but IMO these statements are very ignorant and misleading.

Do you now?

Well, I thought about suggesting that your remarks be moved to the forum category labeled
"Rude Members Who Have No Tact, Social Graces or Friends"... but I have the grace to never do such a thing. 8)

So,it is fortunate that you have openly admitted that you do not speak for others here... others who in fact do have the tact to construct their responses to maintain social peace in this old and venerable forum. ;)

One can only hope that others have the ability to learn...

To Doug; I have installed the lite version of XWorkplace that you recommended and so far so good... now if only I can find out how to get rid of the trashcan since the XWorkplace setup object doesn't appear to have been created. I suspect that this is the norm for the "Lite" version.