Author Topic: FYI - Lotus 1-2-3 and browser setups  (Read 2729 times)

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
FYI - Lotus 1-2-3 and browser setups
« on: November 23, 2019, 08:30:21 pm »
Over the years I have created a pile of Lotus 1-2-3 worksheets. Despite the fact that we have OpenOffice it's been a time consuming task to migrate...subsequently as you can imagine the native Lotus 1-2-3 continues to get a good "work-out"...LOl!  8)

Anyways, recently I was going through some older worksheets which had URL links in them. Since it's been quite some time that I've used these, I came to find out that the old (original I suppose?) Lotus 1-2-3 browser setups were no longer functioning (error msg about missing browser would pop-up when attempting to select a URL). Below is a quick FYI type of a note to those who may be in a similar situation and want to update the Lotus 1-2-3 install to use a new/modern OS/2 browser, FF in my case.

1) the Lotus 1-2-3 readme will point out that you can setup a browser in the following section:

Code: [Select]
======================================
I. INFORMATION ABOUT 1-2-3 RELEASE 1.5
======================================
..snip...
 5. The Default Internet Browser
...snip...

Specifically that '5. The Default Internet Browser' will reference the following:

Code: [Select]
-------------------------------
5. The Default Internet Browser
-------------------------------
The SmartSuite Install program automatically defaults to using
Netscape Navigator as the Internet browser for all of the
SmartSuite applications. You can use the REGRX program to change 
to another Internet browser

Executing that REGRX utility will allow you to configure some SmartSuite options, including the default browser.

Now, back in the day the main browser were:
1) IBM WebExplorer
2) Netscape Navigator

Subsequently, the native SmartSuite REGRX utility will leave you at a proverbial dead-end (unless you do in fact want to use one of these browsers). Alas, do not despair ( ;)) there is a way to get your choice of browser hooked up.

Take a look at the screen capture I did, this is the extended help present in the application on this topic. In short, fire up Registry Editor and head on over to the appropriate registry KEY...either replace the existing one (most likely pointing to Navigator), or create one from scratch.

If you need to create one it'll be something like this (replace my G:\ drive references with your install details): http=>shell=>open=>command=> (Default) => "g:\apps\tcpip\firefox\firefox.exe" "%1"

These setups work for me to invoke FF when a Lotus 1-2-3 cell points to a URL.