Author Topic: NcFTP - RPM package application not quite right...  (Read 5910 times)

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
NcFTP - RPM package application not quite right...
« on: September 09, 2019, 02:19:19 am »
OK, so continuing on with my "mission" ::) to deploy RPM replacements for some of my current apps I decided to tackle NcFTP. Easy app I thought, and being CLI it was pretty suitable for being tossed into the giant \usr\bin bucket...

Install went fine, I moved my bookmarks, etc. to the \home\.ncftp directory, that was recognized. However, strangely enough I ran into a problem when actually attempting to VIEW the bookmarks in the app. Case in point, when issueing 'bookmarks' command inside NcFTP window I get the following response:

Code: [Select]
ncftp> bookmarks
sh.exe: 1: more: not found

To use a bookmark, use the "open" command with the name of the bookmark.

...but if I do something like "open hobbes" that certainly works...so the bookmarks are there and are being recognized. The separate bookmarkmanager app works fine, that does actually show the bookmarks and allow you to manipulte then as needed.

Alright, so that error message appeared to have something to do with the 'sh' shell and perhaps 'more' command? I confirmed that 'sh' is installed here and working fine, 'more' on the other hand is not. But the 'more' is just a guess on my part, one could easily confuse that for something like 'dir | more', right?

What is a bit weird is that the 'more' command is something that should be executable in OS/2 to start off with. You can certainly pull up HELP on that command and yet trying 'more' by itself @CLI only shows:

[I:\]more
SYS1041: The name more is not recognized as an
internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

So am I inherently missing something here in my base OS/2 install?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: NcFTP - RPM package application not quite right...
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 02:43:49 am »
Less? Try
dir | less
As for more, here,
F:\test>which2 more
d:/os2/MORE.COM
F:\test>

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 02:45:08 pm »
So after initially posting this off I went looking at this 'MORE' command...heck, I do know it works, I have used it previously, pretty much as the default until 'less' became available!

For some reason, not sure why, more.com was missing from my boot drive..ugh??? :o

Luckily I had an older backup partition still kicking around and pulled that one over. Indeed, now NcFTP certainly works because the 'sh' shell commmand issues a 'more' statement which is intended to scroll the bookmarks contents.

You are right though Dave, I wish I could tweak that to use 'less' because that approach has some additional functionality that 'more' does not.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 04:20:43 pm »
Try SET PAGER=less.exe

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 05:36:36 pm »
Hi Dave,

Try SET PAGER=less.exe

I've got this already in-place, or to be precise, the MAN page reader defaults to using 'less.exe', the other option was to actually set it to MORE, which I did not do.

But...just to be sure I did define that in the CLI window and started NcFTP from there. Issuing 'bookmarks' command still resulted in MORE being used, so it would appear NcFTP itself is coded to rely on MORE as opposed to the 'SET PAGER=' setting. That's OK, I now actually have visibility to the bookmarked FTP sites, which was previously broken.

Thanks for the suggestion though!