Author Topic: Report: ArcaOS on Panasonic Toughbook CF-M34 MK1  (Read 7411 times)

Mathias

• using ArcaOS
    • View Profile
    • IRC
Report: ArcaOS on Panasonic Toughbook CF-M34 MK1
« on: November 24, 2019, 10:03:27 pm »
Cloned the installation onto that notebook, booted and then this happens... each time:

-------------------------------------------

Code: [Select]
The system detected an internal error at location ##0158:95FC - 000D:95FC.
60003, 6009

0786066a
Internal revision 14.200_W4

The system is stopped. Record all of the above information and contact your service representative.
-------------------------------------------

Why is this? Anybody know what this means?

The notebook has a Celeron 300 CPU and is equipped with 128 MB RAM.
I suppose the reason is a missing processor command set??

Reason for my assumption: The image recovered well on another notebook (Natcomp something (generic)) from the same age, which has a regular Pentium III.

Any ideas?

Mathias

• using ArcaOS
    • View Profile
    • IRC
Re: Report: ArcaOS on Panasonic Toughbook CF-M34 MK1
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 10:34:24 pm »
Solved!

The above STOP message means: You have selected AHCI & ACPI on an old machine.

Now I FINALLY have a working solution:

1) I`ve finally found the time to set up a new ArcaOS 5.0.4EN on VirtualBox. On install select the installer boot option ¨öld machine¨
2) then cloned the thing with Norton Ghost 6 (bootable floppy, since the notebook can only boot from A: or C:) - Norton Ghost parameter ¨ghost -slpit=85¨
3) loaded the Iomega ZIP100 driver (from floppy) and then cloned all data from local (virtual) HDD to ZIP100 disks
4) booted up the notebook
5) booted from Norton Ghost 6 boot floppy
6) loaded ZIP100 parallel port drive
7) started up Ghost6 from floppy
8) reloaded all the images onto the notebook hard drive
9 reboot.. and IT WORKS! :D

ArcAOS 5.0.4 booting and running excellently fine with 192 MB RAM 300 MHz Celeron.. : )
PCMCIA slot is Texas Instruments, network card is a PCMCIA card, 3Com Fast Ethernet III.. needs to be installed manually.

And... as I know.. Martin always is looking for pci.exe output... :D
... I´ve included the listing as an attachment.

Everything working now.. but tis notebook also comes with touch screen ... next task will be to get that working, too. :D
*happy*

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 04:57:50 am »
Hi Mathius, glad you found the solution to your issue. There's actually quite a few reasons for that error to pop up, ranging from wrong drivers to wrong partitioning, bad MBR and so on.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 09:25:11 pm »
Thanks for sharing Mathias. I will put it on the Wiki.

Are all the components of the laptop working, Audio?, Video with Panomara or SNAP? .
Any trick on the config.sys for drivers?
Does it looks like the one on the picture? Whats does the antenna does? Wifi?

Regards
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 09:27:54 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Wim Brul

• View Profile
    • Wim's home page
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 07:28:28 pm »
Everything working now.. but this notebook also comes with touch screen ... next task will be to get that working, too.
Have a look at my "Digitizer Support" web page. Support is a 3 step process: Access COM device, Develop REXX script, Send Mouse events.
It seems to me that your Panasonic Toughbook touch screen has been connected to com port 2 using a gunze AHL-71N Touch Panel Controller.
Try and run "comraw 2 9600" to get raw input data at 9600 baud into the 9600.raw file. Touch the screen for actual input. Use Ctrl+C to stop.

Mathias

• using ArcaOS
    • View Profile
    • IRC
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 10:55:52 am »
Martin, Wim, I've had some other retro hardware to refurbish over the past couple of days, including a dying Android tablet, which has been replaced with a ThinkPad Yoga S1 12, as Sigurd proved to work fine. - And indeed it does. Excellent hardware.

Over all that, the Toughbook had to wait for works to finish (will they ever finish?! :>).

Today after work I will try Wim's hint! Looking forward to that, sounds awesome and reading that this could actually work out! *__*

Martin, to answer your questions:

1) Are all the components of the laptop working, Audio?, Video with Panomara or SNAP?

Uff.. about Audio.. not sure anymore right now, have to have a look after work. : )
SNAP for graphics working fine out of the box.

> 2) Any trick on the config.sys for drivers?

None yet.

> 3) Does it looks like the one on the picture?

Yes this the machine on your picture. But I have two of them; One with the antenna and one without. (There were numerous versions of these notebooks.. even with GPS antenna!!)

> 4) Whats does the antenna does? Wifi?

The antenna on one of my ToughBooks is indeed WiFi, like the one on your picture.
A sticker on the screen is reading "wifi ready".. so I suppose it is quite some old standard.. but yes.. it's for networking. I've seen it working with a stone-age Zyxel wifi access point with (from today's standards) really unsatisfying security. - But it used to work with Windows 98SE! : )

If you like, I can supply some more photos from all angles, including size comparisation. This Toughbook is indeed tiny. :D

--> I'll report back with more details, especially regarding Wim's touch screen hint!

Mathias

• using ArcaOS
    • View Profile
    • IRC
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 07:57:38 pm »
Audio report: Uniaud does not work. (current and previous version)

Throws an error message on boot-up:

Code: [Select]
ERROR: Initialization failed
pci_register_driver: query_device found 11 10C8:8005 class=40100 checking Bt87x0
SS32_Initialize: FAILED
OS/2 Universal Audio MMPM/2 Driver v1.9.7

Unable to attach 32bit driver
SYS1202: The Device driver [...] was not installed, line 168 ignored.

Lateron, when booted up, "unimix -list" brings up "Detected 0 audio adapter(s)"

So, actually audio, wifi and touch do not work (yet).
I suppose wifi is pointless anyway, as the standard is most likely not supported by any access point anymore? ; )

Now testing touch..

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 12:12:43 am »
I suppose wifi is pointless anyway, as the standard is most likely not supported by any access point anymore? ; )
I can access my new AC2300 access point using the first ever Wi-Fi device to get OS/2 drivers, a Cisco pre-B card that I bought in the 90's, the router tries to hide the fact that it has WEP support and nags about security, but it works.

But anyhow the Intel 2100 shipped with the toughbook actually supports WPA so it should not be a problem with any router and you can still get G and even dual-band N spec mini-PCI cards new on eBay if you want to upgrade.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 12:23:51 am by Olafur Gunnlaugsson »

Mathias

• using ArcaOS
    • View Profile
    • IRC
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 09:31:43 am »
Cewl! oo* - Good to know. I'll give it a try once touch is done. : )