Author Topic: Thinkpad X60s + X6 UltraBase  (Read 11402 times)

hakuchi

Thinkpad X60s + X6 UltraBase
« on: December 04, 2019, 08:24:00 pm »
Hi!

I just got my Thinkpad X60s + X6 UltraBase which I purchased for ArcaOS use ... So far I have installed ol' Win XP into it. Tested that my PsionWin works on it and rs-232 works. Then I installed My old favourite lightweight toynix distro BunsenLabs for proper use. Haven't got time to go through all the things yet and looks like I have to get back to this project later this month or early next year. Depend of how life throws those curve balls :)

Will report to this thread when I finally get to the ArcaOS install and have something to report.

EDIT: Image resize ...

« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 08:28:27 pm by Hakuchi »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Thinkpad X60s + X6 UltraBase
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 01:53:02 am »
Hi

Feel free to report your progress installation ArcaOS on it.

Also please share the PCI.EXE and LSUSB reports when you install ArcaOS on it. Let me know also the model number of the Thinkpad and the dock to include it on the OS2World wiki.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

hakuchi

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 09:59:36 am »
Also please share the PCI.EXE and LSUSB reports when you install ArcaOS on it. Let me know also the model number of the Thinkpad and the dock to include it on the OS2World wiki.

Aye-aye, sir!

But as mentioned, might go into the next year. Let's see ...

hakuchi

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 11:40:18 am »
Proudly inform that I am officially very proud owner of ArcaOS 5.0.4 now!

Only if donwload.arcanoae.com wouldn't timeout all the time I would be already installing ...

But I'll get back to this thread when ever there is something to report!

And  as I mentioned in another thread I will document my journey along the way.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 05:12:32 pm »
Hi Hakuchi, might want to use wget to download the ISO to work around the timeout problems. At least it has good resume.

hakuchi

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 12:51:40 am »
Hi Hakuchi, might want to use wget to download the ISO to work around the timeout problems. At least it has good resume.

Tired also wget but no cigar. But have it now. Dunno what was that all about.

Tomorrow I'll dive in.

Sandra Asja Eickel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 05:59:46 pm »
The restored ArcaNoae Server (they had a hardware failure in December) runs inside a VirtualBox and its network behaviour is really bad. I didn't have corrupted or broken downloads, but wget is kicked out after downloading a single file (and so it doesn't timestamp the file to server time), the connection is slow (around 3 MBit/s - that would be okay for 50 parallel downloads, but not for three).

We can hope that this will get better in a week or so ...

Greetings,
Sandra-Asja

hakuchi

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 06:14:50 pm »
The restored ArcaNoae Server (they had a hardware failure in December) runs inside a VirtualBox and its network behaviour is really bad. I didn't have corrupted or broken downloads, but wget is kicked out after downloading a single file (and so it doesn't timestamp the file to server time), the connection is slow (around 3 MBit/s - that would be okay for 50 parallel downloads, but not for three).

We can hope that this will get better in a week or so ...

Greetings,
Sandra-Asja

Things in life :)

i'm sure all will be fine and dandy soon.

My install hasn't been that smooth, but I expected this for it's my first time to do the OS/2 boogie. Had a brief relationship back in the 90's but never installed one.

It's just out of my knowledge base and one need to make mistakes to learn. Just like the good old days installing early Debians and such. Feel so newbie it's surprisingly refreshing!

Me like <3

Been documenting and will write stuff soonish when got time to do so.

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2020, 06:22:44 pm »
There is information on installing Arca OS on their web site. I recommend as there is no sense in beating you head against a wall.

hakuchi

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2020, 07:07:58 pm »
There is information on installing Arca OS on their web site. I recommend as there is no sense in beating you head against a wall.

Thanks for stating the obvious Eugene!

But I do know how to find information when need be. Installing completely new stuff is something I have done for 25+ years so that I do read basics and then I just dive in. One learns more about new systems and such by breaking them until figuring out why that is happening. Yes, this approach is not for everyone but it's just how I do things.

Anyway, this is written from my Thinkpad running ArcaOS.

Installation process is more or less straight forward. And WIFI and such works OOB after all. Only weirdness is that installation USB stick shows up as "Empty" when booting in freshly installed ArcaOS. That might be something one need to open ticket for.

And yes. I have updated ACPI and USB stack.

More to come and information Martin asked for is on it's way when I'm sure I have things correctly in order.

This is very nice experience for oldfart to learn something very new ... makes one feel young again :)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 07:09:50 pm by Hakuchi »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2020, 02:10:10 am »
Only weirdness is that installation USB stick shows up as "Empty" when booting in freshly installed ArcaOS. That might be something one need to open ticket for.

Hi

Is that an FAT32 USB stick? What size?

Maybe you need to prepare the USB stick so it can be readable on OS/2.
https://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/Prepare_the_FAT32_USB_Flash_Drive

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

hakuchi

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2020, 12:54:54 pm »
Only weirdness is that installation USB stick shows up as "Empty" when booting in freshly installed ArcaOS. That might be something one need to open ticket for.

Hi

Is that an FAT32 USB stick? What size?

Maybe you need to prepare the USB stick so it can be readable on OS/2.

Just to point out
installation USB stick shows up as "Empty" when booting in freshly installed ArcaOS.

"Installation USB stick" as in the one used to install ArcaOS. This shows "Empty" when booted from HDD.

I'm not sure if USB stick the ArcaOS was installed from should be readable for the ArcaOS that was installed from the USB stick in question ...

But I think I'm getting there and will provide you info you asked for soon.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2020, 05:53:25 pm »
The installation stick should just be a FAT volume, which is why the partition has to be less then 2GBs. It should have an ARCA_ISO directory containing the ISO and a couple of other files for memboot. Clicking the ISO should mount it.
Is the stick recognized by the removable devices widget (looks like a triangle with a line under it) in the xcentre (panel)? The fact that your install finished points to the stick being good.
Edit: If it doesn't show up in the widget, try removing it and reinserting it, if it does show up then eject it by clicking on the removable drive widget and reinsert it.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 06:00:58 pm by Dave Yeo »

hakuchi

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2020, 10:05:14 am »
The installation stick should just be a FAT volume, which is why the partition has to be less then 2GBs. It should have an ARCA_ISO directory containing the ISO and a couple of other files for memboot. Clicking the ISO should mount it.

Yes. It is. Those guys at Arca Noae do know how to make their ISOs and they do include all the needed tools to make it work so that one can INSTALL from the USB stick. This I have done. And very successfully installed ArcaOS on my X60s FROM this USB stick I have made. There is no problem.

Is the stick recognized by the removable devices widget (looks like a triangle with a line under it) in the xcentre (panel)? The fact that your install finished points to the stick being good.
Edit: If it doesn't show up in the widget, try removing it and reinserting it, if it does show up then eject it by clicking on the removable drive widget and reinsert it.

It doesn't work correctly when trying to access it via XCentre widget or by kliketi-klik in file manager (or what ever that is called in OS/2). It does show up when it is inserted when booting but it cannot be accessed. It shows up "Empty" in the XCentre as I explained earlier. I just did test your suggested remove/reinsert and it seems to not work at all. It's not seen anywhere. This is when one uses USB ports on the laptop itself.

When inserted into two ports on Ultrabase, it is recognised, but cannot be accessed. Shows up as "Empty" on XCentre. One can "Check disk" however and all seems to be ok.

But there is a twist to this!

When I open up Text Editor and browser through there it is seen right and those files can be touched like a girls in the red-light district ... So something is fishy.

EDIT: Just a moment ago when I pulled laptop off from the Ultrabase to check the model number, I tested USB stick on the USB port on laptop and it sure did seemed to get recognized, but still no cigar. Same old, same old "Empty".
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 02:43:40 pm by Hakuchi »

hakuchi

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2020, 02:33:26 pm »
Hi

Feel free to report your progress installation ArcaOS on it.

Regards

Here you go!

By "model number" you mean?

Thinkpad X60s == 1702-55g
Ultrabase X6 == 42w3107
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 02:40:17 pm by Hakuchi »